• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the Lions should select Mike Evans at #10.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a passing league and the Lions are a passing team. The Lions have been great as far as putting up numbers goes but to say they've been real consistent to the point that nothing needs to change would be a big no no. Through these years where the Lions have put up great numbers, they've still been killed by drives stalling out, terrible game-plans, 3-and-outs and no options outside of Megatron. The WR position has been as bad if not worse than the CB position on the team. Without Fauria's five tds last season, the team would look even worse.

Late in the season, the Lion's offense became non-existent and teams had their way. The Lions couldnt even score 20 points. The Lions come back this off-season and pick up Golden Tate, who most fans consider the perfect fit, while certain few disagree. The problem some see is that Tate isnt good enough to where the Lions could still win with him alone. Without CJ, the Lions WR unit looks like this: Tate, Durham, Ross and Ogletree. Thats nothing to feel good about.

If the Lions draft Mike Evans at 10, the unit goes from very weak to very strong. The Lions would go into every game causing tons of match-up problems for defenses. Bush and Bell in the backfield, Evans and Johnson on the edges, with Tate moving from the slot to the outside in certain packages. In this situation, Tate becomes a major difference maker and a threat, as he would be working against team's 3rd CBs all game. All across the board, the Lions would have top scoring threats on the offense. This would also give the Lions the size and speed advantage against most teams they play.

Would it be a luxury pick? Some might believe so but the potential reward from it would be great and set the Lions up nicely for the present and future. Mike Evans fits not only what the team needs, but what Stafford needs. Plus, this guy rarely drops passes. Lions would make a mistake to bypass Evans in today's NFL.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evans will be the best receiver out of this draft.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh shit, I take back me agreeing then.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's definitely on the short list of guys I'd be really happy with at #10.

I'd be perfectly happy with Evans, Mack, Watkins, Gilbert, and Dennard. Given the QBs and OTs likely locked into the top 10 I'd have to think at least one of these guys should be available for us.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would not be a fan of evans at ten. Why dole out a contract to tate to make him their third receiver. They can draft a WR later in the draft but its really not a necessity. The lions offense struggled last year due to turnovers, mostly by stafford. The lions offense will struggle again if stafford cant figure it out whether or not they have evans. The lions offense with the scrap heap at WR last year was already a very impressive offense until stafford fell apart. Their back seven on defense (minus levy) needs a stud at ten.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys just dont see the offense the way I do. I think Tate is getting too much credit here. Did Philly have to go out and get Sporels? Did Denver really have to go get Emmanuel? Some would say no, but these are the teams that realize you can never have too much talent.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys just dont see the offense the way I do. I think Tate is getting too much credit here. Did Philly have to go out and get Sporels? Did Denver really have to go get Emmanuel? Some would say no, but these are the teams that realize you can never have too much talent.

I 100 percent agree that you can never have too much talent. Unfortunately there arent many players breaking down the door to come to detroit currently whereas legitimate contenders are reaping the benefits. Also teams like the broncos are a few players away from winning it all whereas the lions are not. Im all about racking up talent. Evans is extremely talented but would be a luxury pick which the lions cannot afford as they need to concentrate on adding talent to their defense.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also neither philly or denver have the best WR in football. Denver lost decker and peyton makes his receivers that much better. Sproles wont be anything to write home about this year but i like the sanders signing, I believe he will thrive. Im not giving tate too much credit, I think hes a perfect fit for the offense but he still needs to go out and play. I like him better than rogers, young, williams, williams, burleson and broyles though.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the 10th pick of the draft, you draft the most talented player regardless of position. If talent meets need, so be it but you have to take the best guys.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that everyone continues to say we dont need other players because we have the best WR in football? Even the best players need help. What's wrong with two great WRs?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that everyone continues to say we dont need other players because we have the best WR in football? Even the best players need help. What's wrong with two great WRs?

He just got help, and we already have two starting WR's now that Golden Tate is here. I realize you don't think he will help, but you aren't the Lions GM. The Lions obviously do think he will help, and that is what you should be focused on. There is no need to waste a top 10 pick on a 3rd WR, that's Millen logic.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob, you speak as if you know everything. The Lions might not spend the 10th pick on a WR but how can anyone here be sure of that? Tate is not the savior as some of you suggest. He's better than what the team had but that's not saying much. We can go back and forth about this all day long if you want.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob, you speak as if you know everything. Tate is not the savior as some of you suggest. He's better than what the team had but that's not saying much. We can go back and forth about this all day long if you want.

LionStop, you speak as if you know everything, but you continue to fail and acknowledge facts right in front of your nose. Tate is the guy the Lions signed to upgrade their WR position because he is the guy they think will get the job done. Deal with it. The Lions obviously don't agree with your bolded opinions. You're in serious denial about this WR stuff.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. So, the team agrees with your thoughts then? You're so happy they signed Tate just because you want us to believe everything you have been saying over the last few months. But there's a way to tell if the Lions still have interest in drafting a WR at 10. Manziel is supposed to have some kind of pro-day thing for teams and Evans is supposed to be there too since he didn't do anything at the T&AM pro-day. Lets see if Mayhew or anyone from the Lions show up.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. So, the team agrees with your thoughts then?

No, I agree with the Lions on their thoughts about Tate.

But there's a way to tell if the Lions still have interest in drafting a WR at 10. Manziel is supposed to have some kind of pro-day thing for teams and Evans is supposed to be there too since he didn't do anything at the T&AM pro-day. Lets see if Mayhew or anyone from the Lions show up.

They will not take Evans at 10. Done deal. Showing up for his pro day is not evidence of interest. In fact, the Lions have taken players in recent years who they never scouted at their Pro Days, Reiff, then Ansah last year. I think it might go back even farther than that.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they had the opportunity to work with those guys at the Senior bowl.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they had the opportunity to work with those guys at the Senior bowl.

They had an opportunity to work with Ansah at the Senor Bowl, but he did not hear from them again until the moment he was drafted.

Reiff never had any contact w the Lions before being drafted.