• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is Caitlin Clark Different?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm speaking strictly in terms of watch-ability... and sure, it's a subjective opinion...

IMO, top-level female soccer is still somewhat watchable... it can generate some excitement. Ditto with top-level female tennis.

But I've literally never felt that for female basketball... I couldn't imagine watching an entire female basketball game, it simply doesn't hold my interest. It's slow, below-the-rim, boredom.

That said, a Caitlin Clark highlight reel is pretty impressive. It's not gonna get me to follow the WNBA, though.

It's those hoops 10 feet off the ground, being the entire focus of the game that makes the difference so constantly obvious. In tennis the guys hit harder, in track they run faster and jump higher but it just isn't as obvious or "in the way" visually.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are 2 different games. If you watch expecting to see what you see in the NBA, you're going to be disappointed. I like watching the women because their fundamentals are better. They can't really overcome poor fundamentals with crazy athleticism like male players.
Fair enough... and I agree on the fundamentals point.

There are things I also appreciate from a craftsman's point-of-view... for instance, when my students write a good thesis statement and then can connect back to and support that thesis in their body paragraphs.

Gotta really be connected to details like that for such things to be a spectator event, though. :D

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are 2 different games. If you watch expecting to see what you see in the NBA, you're going to be disappointed. I like watching the women because their fundamentals are better. They can't really overcome poor fundamentals with crazy athleticism like male players.

Are their fundamentals really better though? I'm more or less just a casual fan and never played the game competitively on a team.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are their fundamentals really better though? I'm more or less just a casual fan and never played the game competitively on a team.

Yeah. There's a little more athleticism and "flash" than they're used to be because there are starting to be more females who start playing basketball at young ages with playing basketball for a living as their goal. They also tend to stay in college for 3-4 years which helps.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, it's 7am so I'm still just making jokes here. It's definitely subjective though. It's clear that the NBA has the best talent in the world but if you go somewhere like North Carolina there are a lot of people that live and die for college basketball but could give two fucks about the NBA. And there is almost no one there who says they like the NBA better than college basketball. (except people that just moved there from somewhere else).

Those are people who are fans of colleges moreso than the sport imo. That's another discussion though. Aside from cheering for their ole alma mater I will never understand people preferring the college game and that goes for football as well and for the same reason. They're vastly inferior versions of the sport.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. There's a little more athleticism and "flash" than they're used to be because there are starting to be more females who start playing basketball at young ages with playing basketball for a living as their goal. They also tend to stay in college for 3-4 years which helps.

Yea I noticed that when watching Clark's games recently. It's much better than it was 10-15 years ago.. faster, better ball movement.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are things I also appreciate from a craftsman's point-of-view... for instance, when my students write a good thesis statement and then can connect back to and support that thesis in their body paragraphs.

Gotta really be connected to details like that for such things to be a spectator event, though. :D

True. I used to coach high school basketball, so when I watch women's basketball I watch it through that lens.

I used to make my players watch a few games of the Womens March Madness because of the fundamentals. They'd always complain at first, but then, a couple of days into it...most them would have teams and players they like and would be arguing about them before practice. lol

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think if she was a trans, woman of color. who aborted a child in the third trimester. ESPN, Disney and other Left MSM''s would be going crazy with the media hype.
yikes.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are rampant that Caitlin Clarke will be drafted in the second round of the 2024 NBA Draft.

She'll sign for more money than could make in 20 years in the WNBA.

That's the rumor...........................................you read in the HOOP first.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are rampant that Caitlin Clarke will be drafted in the second round of the 2024 NBA Draft.

She'll sign for more money than could make in 20 years in the WNBA.

That's the rumor...........................................you read in the HOOP first.

Stupid rumor.

Clarke is awesome.

But if she playing with men, she would struggle to get minutes at the D3 level.

Straight publicity stunt if someone does it.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really need to be punched in your fat face for the first time in your life.

Hope your mom bought Sunny D. Bitch.
So I should be punched in the face over the idea of a rookie basketball player needing to find her knack? POS moron trumpie confirmed.^

Hope you admistration has plans to combat the next crappy pandemic...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I should be punched in the face over the idea of a rookie basketball player needing to find her knack? POS moron trumpie confirmed.^

This does not inform us about the Sunny D. Did your mom bring Sunny D or not?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean, there are a lot of reasons you should be punched in the face...but that's not one of them. lol