• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's your pick for the four playoff teams?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what point are you going to realize college football isn't about who is the best coach -- it is who can collect the most talent? The top programs get the top players year after year. There is no such thing as a "level playing field" in college.

It is why I said Saban is a very good coach outside the SEC, but in the SEC, he is a great coach, because they have BY FAR, the top conference recruiting footprint. It is why they were so against satellite camps. It is why I said I was more impressed with what Meyer has done winning in multiple conferences at multiple schools.
A Michigan fan of all people should understand that it is not just about collecting the most talent. It's also about developing that talent. Hoke brought in a lot of talent but couldn't develop it which is why Harbaugh was able to have the success that he has had at Michigan so far. If there was no talent as you and some other Michigan fans have claimed, how is it that Michigan had 14 players at the combine that Hoke brought in?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Michigan fan of all people should understand that it is not just about collecting the most talent. It's also about developing that talent. Hoke brought in a lot of talent but couldn't develop it which is why Harbaugh was able to have the success that he has had at Michigan so far. If there was no talent as you and some other Michigan fans have claimed, how is it that Michigan had 14 players at the combine that Hoke brought in?

College football is about collecting the most talent -- before anything else. That is why teams spend millions on recruiting and millions upon millions on new locker rooms, buildings, equipment, etc to attract recruits. Name the last teams to win a national title that didn't have at least one top 5 recruiting class in that teams cycle?

It is why I said Saban will never leave the Bama and the SEC. It gives him the greatest advantage. You can get the same money and booster support at a number of schools -- but no conference but the SEC can provide the recruiting footprint and academic requirements he can get in the SEC.

I think Saban is a very good coach. But he had his chance to show he could do it outside the SEC. In 7 years (5 at MSU and 2 at Miami). He was 0-3 in bowl games, won no conference or divisional titles, didn't make even a playoff appearance.

I think Saban is a great recruiter and he is in the perfect spot to utilize that talent.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College football is about collecting the most talent -- before anything else. That is why teams spend millions on recruiting and millions upon millions on new locker rooms, buildings, equipment, etc to attract recruits. Name the last teams to win a national title that didn't have at least one top 5 recruiting class in that teams cycle?

It is why I said Saban will never leave the Bama and the SEC. It gives him the greatest advantage. You can get the same money and booster support at a number of schools -- but no conference but the SEC can provide the recruiting footprint and academic requirements he can get in the SEC.

I think Saban is a very good coach. But he had his chance to show he could do it outside the SEC. In 7 years (5 at MSU and 2 at Miami). He was 0-3 in bowl games, won no conference or divisional titles, didn't make even a playoff appearance.

I think Saban is a great recruiter and he is in the perfect spot to utilize that talent.

I just don't understand why you can build in the excuse for Harbaugh saying he took over one of the worst programs in the FBS(which I would agree with), but can't see that Saban walked into pretty terrible situations at both Michigan State and Miami. And when he left Michigan State they were a top 10 team. Miami was a combined 5-27 the year before and year after Saban. Saban was 15-17. Hell he even walked into a shitty situation at LSU and had them as a top 25 team in year 1, and a top 10 team by year 2.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand why you can build in the excuse for Harbaugh saying he took over one of the worst programs in the FBS(which I would agree with), but can't see that Saban walked into pretty terrible situations at both Michigan State and Miami. And when he left Michigan State they were a top 10 team. Miami was a combined 5-27 the year before and year after Saban. Saban was 15-17. Hell he even walked into a shitty situation at LSU and had them as a top 25 team in year 1, and a top 10 team by year 2.

MSU was a .500 team when he took over. I had to watch them, unfortunately, on a weekly basis. He took a .500 program and had one solid year, then left immediately. His record in the other 4 -- the same as when he took over -- .500.

And you won't hear me say he isn't great, in the SEC. The overwhelming majority of elite high school recruits grow up watching SEC football. It is why they don't want satellite camps, because it cuts into their built in advantage.

With the NFL -- he found out quickly he didn't really want a "level playing field", as he states so much in college. He jumped ship after two years to go back to his safe haven in the SEC.
And the talk about 15-17 being something special is nonsense. SF didn't have a winning season in 10 years before Harbaugh and they are 7-25 in the years since he left. With your logic -- the 8-8 season Harbaugh had was a tremendous success at SF, because they haven't won 8 games over the next two years.

As I said -- he is a very good coach, but his greatness is built in the SEC and the advantages the conference provides. When you show me what he has won outside the SEC -- I will agree with you.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's an idiot.

LSU before Saban was an easy win every fucking year basically. If Alabama didn't beat LSU it was because Alabama was having a bad year. LSU hasn't been the same since.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an idiot.

LSU before Saban was an easy win every fucking year basically. If Alabama didn't beat LSU it was because Alabama was having a bad year. LSU hasn't been the same since.

Feel free to point me out to his success outside the SEC?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel free to point me out to his success outside the SEC?

Harbaugh sucks and couldn't hack it in the SEC. Feel free to point me out to his success in the SEC having to play tough teams week after week.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh sucks and couldn't hack it in the SEC. Feel free to point me out to his success in the SEC having to play tough teams week after week.
He might be able to finish better than 3rd in his division.... if he were put in the East.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Slight difference -- Harbaugh hasn't coached in the SEC. Harbaugh and Saban both coached in the NFL. Tough to decide, but one did slightly better than the other. Both have coached in the B1G -- Harbaugh did something in year 1 and 2 that Saban couldn't do in 5 years in the B1G -- win 10 games. Also, he won a bowl game -- something Saban couldn't do in 5 years.

As I said -- Saban is a very good coach. The SEC is what makes him a great coach.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might be able to finish better than 3rd in his division.... if he were put in the East.

Yeah -- that powerhouse East champ UM faced in a bowl game two years ago was a tough game. UM barely won by almost 5 touchdowns.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slight difference -- Harbaugh hasn't coached in the SEC. Harbaugh and Saban both coached in the NFL. Tough to decide, but one did slightly better than the other. Both have coached in the B1G -- Harbaugh did something in year 1 and 2 that Saban couldn't do in 5 years in the B1G -- win 10 games. Also, he won a bowl game -- something Saban couldn't do in 5 years.

As I said -- Saban is a very good coach. The SEC is what makes him a great coach.

:lol: The Michigan fan just treated his team as being equal to 90's Michigan St just to suck on Harbaugh's dick.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah -- that powerhouse East champ UM faced in a bowl game two years ago was a tough game. UM barely won by almost 5 touchdowns.
Yeah, the East sucks dick. That's why I said he might be able to finish better than 3rd. He's yet to do it in the B1G so might is as far as I'm willing to go at this point.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: The Michigan fan just treated his team as being equal to 90's Michigan St just to suck on Harbaugh's dick.
It's the only way he can put Saban an Harbaugh in the same sentence. Either what happened 15 years ago or the NFL. One's winnng NC's the other isn't even winning divisions.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the only way he can put Saban an Harbaugh in the same sentence. Either what happened 15 years ago or the NFL. One's winnng NC's the other isn't even winning divisions.

You mean the only times he has coached outside the SEC and had the advantages the conference provides taken away? As I've said -- very good coach, but in the SEC -- he is a great coach.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MSU was a .500 team when he took over. I had to watch them, unfortunately, on a weekly basis. He took a .500 program and had one solid year, then left immediately. His record in the other 4 -- the same as when he took over -- .500.

And you won't hear me say he isn't great, in the SEC. The overwhelming majority of elite high school recruits grow up watching SEC football. It is why they don't want satellite camps, because it cuts into their built in advantage.

With the NFL -- he found out quickly he didn't really want a "level playing field", as he states so much in college. He jumped ship after two years to go back to his safe haven in the SEC.
And the talk about 15-17 being something special is nonsense. SF didn't have a winning season in 10 years before Harbaugh and they are 7-25 in the years since he left. With your logic -- the 8-8 season Harbaugh had was a tremendous success at SF, because they haven't won 8 games over the next two years.

As I said -- he is a very good coach, but his greatness is built in the SEC and the advantages the conference provides. When you show me what he has won outside the SEC -- I will agree with you.

MSU was 5-7 and was put on sanctions when he took over. Which included the loss of scholarships. And he had to deal with Michigan, PSU and OSU all being up at that time. Hell even Purdue was a top 25 program the last 3 years he was there. I don't think you're giving him enough credit for what he did at MSU being hampered by scholarship reductions and being on probation.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the only times he has coached outside the SEC and had the advantages the conference provides taken away? As I've said -- very good coach, but in the SEC -- he is a great coach.
Yes, he's doing it in one of the best most competitive recruiting conferences in the country and did it during a time where the conference was the best in country & did it against other NC caliber teams. Harbaugh has all the built in advantages of coaching for UM, came in with a ton of talent and still can't win his division. Harb's a good coach, but nothing all that special in the scheme of things yet. Mark Richt-esque if you will.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually -- that may be putting down the 90's MSU teams to compare them to UM from the previous 7/8 years. UM won more than 8 games once in the previous 7 or 8 years before Harbaugh showed up -- I can't remember if it Dick Rod had 3 or 4 years?

Basically -- Nick Saban at MSU, did exactly the same as George Perles at MSU.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he's doing it in one of the best most competitive recruiting conferences in the country and did it during a time where the conference was the best in country against other NC caliber teams. Harbaugh has all the built in advantages of coaching for UM, came in with a ton of talent and still can't win his division. Harb's a good coach, but nothing all that special in the scheme of things yet. Mark Richt-esque if you will.

Did you type that with a straight face? :pound:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MSU was 5-7 and was put on sanctions when he took over. Which included the loss of scholarships. And he had to deal with Michigan, PSU and OSU all being up at that time. Hell even Purdue was a top 25 program the last 3 years he was there. I don't think you're giving him enough credit for what he did at MSU being hampered by scholarship reductions and being on probation.

Stop. I know everything about the MSU incident. I was born and raised in Michigan -- both UM and MSU. He lost 9 future scholarships. It was the same as OSU when Urban Meyer took over -- he seemed to do just fine.

The didn't lose bowl eligibility, they didn't lose televised games -- it was probation and a handful of scholarships.