• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's the New GM?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the team needs, the amount of cap money, new coach, is anyone other than me worried about how this team will handle the FA period? Manipulating the FA market seems more daunting than the draft.
I'm concerned too. But with new and younger people doing all of the work, they will be reminded of the bad signings Bill made and will have completely different outlook. Because of their needs, I can't see them sitting on their hands from the opening bell to see what everyone else is doing.
I have a good feeling that whoever is working with JM will be proactive and they just might surprise us and make moves we never saw coming.

Let's hope.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESP’s Adam Schefter reports the Patriots will interview Rams tight ends coach Nick Caley for their offensive coordinator vacancy.
It may not take long for Jerrod Mayo to continue Bill Belichick’s legacy of staying within the family when retooling his staff. Caley began his NFL career as a member of the Patriots in 2015. He was hired as an offensive assistant and eventually worked his way up to tight ends coach. Caley took on the same role for the Rams this year. The Jets and Texans interviewed Caley for their offensive coordinator vacancies last year but both went in different directions.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Wolfe is the "de facto" General Manager. The Krafts don't want to go through the Rooney Rule process and have minority candidates come in and fake interview them. I think that's pretty decent. Why falsely go through that crap? So Wolfe is the Player Personnel Director officially and has the authority of a GM.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Groh is the Scouting Director. Sort of a demotion from where he stood with BB.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Krafts don't want to go through the Rooney Rule process and have minority candidates come in and fake interview them.
Where did you hear or read this? I think Kraft would rather get caught getting a happy ending than making that statement.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you hear or read this? I think Kraft would rather get caught getting a happy ending than making that statement.
It's been openly discussed everywhere from NBC Sports Boston to ESPN. Johnathan Kraft said that they had a 'de facto' GM who was handling "most" of the duties and that they would deal with it officially when they "felt it necessary".

They aren't skirting it, they're giving their guy a chance to do it and if he's successful, they'll play the game and make a mockery of the Rooney Rule and have to take the media bullshit for it.

There is no happy ending. No matter what they do if they bring in two black guys, a Hispanic and an Asian and then name Wolfe GM, they'll be accused of not being honest.

The rule is a farce and was put into place to make sure that the league didn't continue to look bad when owners were just hiring white coaches and recirculating the unemployed white coaches. What it did do, was open the eyes and minds of the more forward thinking owners and made them stop immediately looking at coaches who'd been previously fired elsewhere and start giving consideration to minority coaches who deserved a chance to coach. In the NFL................

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
….. What it did do, was open the eyes and minds of the more forward thinking owners and made them stop immediately looking at coaches who'd been previously fired elsewhere and start giving consideration to minority coaches who deserved a chance to coach. In the NFL................
In other words, it worked

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It worked for opening opportunities, but created a system of false interviews to meet the rule.

You both are right. There are many more minorities coaching at higher levels than there was before the Rooney Rule.
There are also ways to skirt the rule, as with any rule.