• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's the leak?

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have heard rumors of Rice and Red getting cut both from "unconfirmed sources"

Now we know come draft time that the hawks franchise is as tight lipped as they come.

Now we see all these rumors about people being dropped/. what gives?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess a lot more people in the know when a player is getting cut. Starting with the player and his agent, family member, office people who file the paperwork, etc.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a 9er fan spreading rumors.

hehe...j/k

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been an open secret that these were the guys on the chopping block whether we won a title this year or not. Between their salaries and their production level/age/expected importance to the success of the team going forward, these were the guys most likely to be cut or asked to restructure and everybody knew it, including the players themselves. When the news on Sidney Rice's imminent release was "leaked", he all but confirmed that it was going to happen on Twitter. You don't say your "goodbyes" unless you know you're leaving.

In terms of the draft, I'm not even sure that they know who exactly they want to draft yet and even if they did, that's far more sensitive information than who the team is planning to release, so it would make sense for everyone tied to the organization to stay tight-lipped on that.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice posted on twitter last friday what appeared to be a good bye message. I think Shefter first broke that story and he is usually pretty reliable.

My two theories are maybe they are waiting until after the combine to make anything official. Im not sure if that makes a difference or not but it would make sense.

Also there are seems to be new reports every day about the cap going up. I have heard 128 mil, 130, 132 and now I heard today it could be over 132. Although guys like Avril and Harvin have significant cap spikes, the increased cap could mean we cut 1 less player so they could be waiting for that to sort itself out as well.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most agents leak the news of their player being cut to gain interest from other teams and turn it into a bidding war. Also team beat reporters get info for papers and sports radio to keep fans in the loop throughout the long offseason.