• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's returning kicks/punts for us in 2014?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say it's more than likely that Hester is gone. Which is unfortunate, because he'll break the record in another uniform. He came so close like six times in the last half of the season... but whatever. It's probably for the best. He's still a top notch returner, but I don't think he's near the same unstoppable force that he was in 06 or 07 that forced us to hand him the big bucks. Heck, even in 2010 or 11. You literally just couldn't kick to the guy. That's what people don't realize. Devin Hester did all of this in his career, and NOBODY EVER kicked to him after his rookie season. lol, Taking directional punts and a rare kickoff that made it to him to the house just about every time a kicker or punter made a mistake.

However, I'd say smart money is on Weems to return kickoffs, and Bennett to take over punt return duty. Both have displayed success returning at the NFL level. Bennett was very good returning punts for us when we were oh so busy with our "Devin Hester is a #1 WR" experiment. Weems was a stud kick returner in Atlanta.

We don't have a lot of cap room, and even if we free some up. I'd say Devin Hester is pretty far down the pecking order on issues to address. He'll enjoy playing for Lovie again in Tampa with Tillman.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weems will not be the number 1 kick returner nor will Bennett. ....they picked up a guy at the end of the season that will he given the opportunity. .....

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Michael Ford?

This would be my guess as well. Ford handled most of the return duties during pre season last year, I'm guessing they let Weems go, and maybe Hester, keep Ford and find another returner on the cheap.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weems will not be the number 1 kick returner nor will Bennett. ....they picked up a guy at the end of the season that will he given the opportunity. .....

Bennett has returned punts every time Hester was hurt or playing WR. I don't see why you feel that's such a foregone conclusion. He was VERY good when he returned punts. Weems was a pro bowler in Atlanta in 2010 as both a kick and punt returner.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
weems hasn't got it

Bennett has returned punts every time Hester was hurt or playing WR. I don't see why you feel that's such a foregone conclusion. He was VERY good when he returned punts. Weems was a pro bowler in Atlanta in 2010 as both a kick and punt returner.

I just don't see Weems as being the kick returner he once was just as Devin will be just another return man from this point on. The specials teams will be better this season.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who returns kicks anymore? They're mostly touchbacks now.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think Hester will take a pay cut .
Hester. Why would he go anywhere else?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
free agency vs resigning

Devin and his agent know that free agents are generally overpaid. The only thing Devin knows is being over paid.....hell take the highest offer

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess Marquis Wilson, who is supposed to get a bigger role next year. I sure hope the head up the ass NFL does not decide to outlaw kickoffs and just start from the 25 or that extra point bullshit. Kickoffs are the most exciting chance on the field. They need time to review scoring plays anyhow, why lose the extra point.

You figure weems would have the inside track, but he is also due a million dollar bonus plus 100k workout bonus so he might get cut too.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Devin wanted out of here when Lovie was fired.

I can almost guarantee he'd prefer to go back home to Florida and play for his coach.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who returns kicks anymore? They're mostly touchbacks now.

You sure about that?

Last year, 58% of the Bears kickoffs were returned out of the end zone. In the two December home games, about 70%.

Last year, Hester had a career high with nearly 1500 yards in kickoff return yardage. His previous career high was in 2007, with 934. He returned more kickoffs than ever before in his career.

Last edited by a moderator:

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sure about that?

Last year, 58% of the Bears kickoffs were returned out of the end zone. In the two December home games, about 70%.

Last year, Hester had a career high with nearly 1500 yards in kickoff return yardage. His previous career high was in 2007, with 934. He returned more kickoffs than ever before in his career.

Honestly, that is all on Hester, a lot of teams took what Hester ran out as touchbacks. I was speaking in NFL general terms. Sure, if all you're doing is returning punts and kicks, wouldn't you return all you could, even ones where you should probably take a knee?

It will be interesting to see what happens with Hester.

C

cubzzzfanincali

There were times I found myself thinking "why is he even trying to return this kickoff?" I think NC's theory is right about this, there was an element of "well, dammit, I'm a returner, so I'm gonna return, damn the circumstances." Probably the Bears front office was putting pressure on him to produce also.

Unless Devin comes cheap, I'd think he's gone.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, that is all on Hester, a lot of teams took what Hester ran out as touchbacks. I was speaking in NFL general terms. Sure, if all you're doing is returning punts and kicks, wouldn't you return all you could, even ones where you should probably take a knee?

It will be interesting to see what happens with Hester.

I would agree, but the Bears were about in the middle of the pack in that statistic, actually. Half of the league ran out more kicks than the Bears did.

50% of kicks are still left roughly around the goal line. Two years in a row now where a kick return TD has played a huge role in the deciding of the Super Bowl.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Two years in a row now where a kick return TD has played a huge role in the deciding of the Super Bowl.

Nitpicking...but...

"Huge" role? um, no. Seattle would have won by plenty either way.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nitpicking...but...

"Huge" role? um, no. Seattle would have won by plenty either way.

I mean, fair enough. However, 22-0 is not an impossible deficit to overcome for the #1 statistical offense of all-time. Denver likely came out of the half with some adjustments and with a mindset of simply "starting over" in the second half offensively. Harvin's kick return absolutely sucked the wind out of them, and was the dagger in that football game.

My point is, that it really REALLY pisses me off when someone tries to say that kickoff returns don't matter. That is absurd. Kickoff returns have played a huge part in a multitude of games every week throughout the season since the rule change in 2011. Just look at a few Bears games this past year. The first Vikings game... kickoff returns played a HUGE part in the game for BOTH teams. The Cleveland game, Hester set the Bears up pretty multiple times for big offensive scores.

Especially when you play in the NFC North. MIN, GB, and CHI. All three teams play outdoors now in cold weather environments. The majority of those kicks are not going for touchbacks come late November, December, and if you're lucky... January.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
richig, let me say I didn't like the rule change, I understand player safety but I think it alters the game to much. IF the league had it their way, and IF they could figure out how to manage the on side kick, they would simply do away with the kick off. It wouldn't surprise me if they move it up another 5 yards.

As it is now, yes, resign hester at vet min, but I doubt he plays for that, in fact I would bet Lovie brings him down to Tampa.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Chris Williams. The Bears claimed him off the Saints practice squad week 17 .
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEDRSRZgHQs]Chris Williams (SPEED!!) 2012 Tiger-Cats Highlights (CFL) - YouTube[/ame]
Maybe not.
But who knows?