• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's had the best and worst FA?

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he played for us but I was too lazy to check myself :suds: whysies

He obviously didn't leave too much of a memorable impression with us if we have to google him to see if he played here.

That's his time with us though, with Seattle he was a killer on their ST. I hope this loss screws with their entire special teams like losing Costanzo did to us.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Broncos for sure are the winners.
Giants had a decent off season so far.
Patriots turned out good.

Seahawks couldve been good/great but they missed out on a few opportunities so far. Finely would've been a huge signing for them. If they can bring back Rice at a low contract that will be big for them too. They were able to retain Bennett and Haushka for great contracts.

Panthers havent had a great off season. Lost a few good players and havent added much.
Cowboys, as expected, have gotten worse and lost a great player.

I dont like what we have done this offseason. We brought in a few scrubs and handed out a a decent sized contract to an aging, avg. player. The Seahawks have widened the gap between us and them

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants over spent like crazy on so so talent. I agree Panthers lost a lot. Im shocked they didn't go after Nicks a home town kid after losing both WRs. I guess we know they are going to draft a WR.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No John Fox runs a 4-3. They did run a 3-4 before he got there though

Actually Broncos play a hybrid system. With the drafting of Von Miller (most teams thought he fit better in a 3-4 than a 4-3) the Broncos have played a very mixed bag when it comes to defensive alignment. They also have drafted guys that they think fit both the 4-3 and 3-4 defense so that they can seamlessly go between the two. Now the addition of Ware my guess is the Broncos will use it even more.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My East Bay buddy: "They let Houston & Veldheer leave?! Typical Raider bullshit" :laugh3:

yes I was very unhappy no offer made to Veldheer or Houston, then they sign Safffold for more money then Veldheer was subsequently sign for. So the highpoint of day one FA was Saffold failed his physical
, they seem to have snapped out of it since then and made some decent signings but I'm still pissed about letting our two best free agents walk. IMO this season is huge for the new front office in Oakland, they had better get it together, there's too much competition in the AFC West 2 sit on our hands now unless there's some ulterior motive.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos for sure are the winners.
Giants had a decent off season so far.
Patriots turned out good.

Seahawks couldve been good/great but they missed out on a few opportunities so far. Finely would've been a huge signing for them. If they can bring back Rice at a low contract that will be big for them too. They were able to retain Bennett and Haushka for great contracts.

Panthers havent had a great off season. Lost a few good players and havent added much.
Cowboys, as expected, have gotten worse and lost a great player.

I dont like what we have done this offseason. We brought in a few scrubs and handed out a a decent sized contract to an aging, avg. player. The Seahawks have widened the gap between us and them

I don't believe this is true, not yet. Going in, it was obvious we were not going to be players in the free agent market. Seattle hasn't really been either. Think SF and Seattle are saving cap space for this year and next to try and keep as many of its own players as possible. This upcoming draft is going to be critical to the current year and near future. If the 49ers do a good job in the draft with all those picks, the team will be in good shape. Mopre significant than a couple of free agent signings. How the 2012 red shirted players (Lattimire & Carradine ) perform this year will also be significant.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One question? Who the hell was TJ Ward before he blew out Gronkowski's knee??

Answer.....nobody..........................now all of a sudden he's a combination of Rodney Harrison, Reggie White and Brett Favre........................Give me a freakin' break....

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Answer.....nobody..........................now all of a sudden he's a combination of Rodney Harrison, Reggie White and Brett Favre........................Give me a freakin' break....

Just because you never heard of him doesn't mean others hadn't.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't believe this is true, not yet. Going in, it was obvious we were not going to be players in the free agent market. Seattle hasn't really been either. Think SF and Seattle are saving cap space for this year and next to try and keep as many of its own players as possible. This upcoming draft is going to be critical to the current year and near future. If the 49ers do a good job in the draft with all those picks, the team will be in good shape. Mopre significant than a couple of free agent signings. How the 2012 red shirted players (Lattimire & Carradine ) perform this year will also be significant.

In reference to the bolded part -----without a doubt, no question. It'll have a huge impact on us and it is vital to our success.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Seattle got a lot weaker. They lost quite a bit on defense and 2 of their better WR's over the last several years. Granted Rice has been hurt and did not contribute much last year. It still weakens them there to lose him and Tate in the same year. They have some pretty key losses on defense though. They will still be a top defense in the league and have playmakers, but I don't see the 2014 Seattle defense being as good as the 2013 group. I guess maybe the draft could change some of that, but it's not like they just lost 1 or 2 guys.

I am not convinced Seattle is weaker. The only 2 players the Seahawks really wanted to keep was Tate and Clint McDonald. We will need to find a lower cost replacement for Tate, but we have 2 DT's from last years draft that we hope one of them can replace CM. I think there is a pretty good chance of that happening because of the talent on our DL will take some pressure off Jesse Williams or Jordan Hill to replace CM who was cut by us at the end of last year's TC and later resigned to the club.
Others lost...
Maragos: solid ST'r but replaceable, Lockette and Lane are our excellent gunners.
Giacomini: Some feel his replacement is on the roster in either 2nd year players Bowie or Baily. Both played last year. I am sure we will look at OL in the draft.
Browner/WT3: I would have liked to keep both but rumor says PC was done with both of them and I did not see any true effort made in a resign. Both would have been #3 or #4 on our depth chart. Lane now moves to #3 and Pete is high on youngster Shead.
We released Clem, Sidney, and Red Bryant. All 3 on the decline and all 3 expensive. If you look at their production vs their contract it was easy to see it was time to go.
With the massive contracts that ET, Sherm, and RW should get, Seattle needs to trim any fat on the roster to try to make it fit.
The team is now $20M under the cap and will need a little more to make it all come together.

I am not trying to rub any of you the wrong way with this post. It is meant to merely inform and provide a different angle to look at.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You lost your secondary Depth. That is big.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not convinced Seattle is weaker. The only 2 players the Seahawks really wanted to keep was Tate and Clint McDonald. We will need to find a lower cost replacement for Tate, but we have 2 DT's from last years draft that we hope one of them can replace CM. I think there is a pretty good chance of that happening because of the talent on our DL will take some pressure off Jesse Williams or Jordan Hill to replace CM who was cut by us at the end of last year's TC and later resigned to the club.
Others lost...
Maragos: solid ST'r but replaceable, Lockette and Lane are our excellent gunners.
Giacomini: Some feel his replacement is on the roster in either 2nd year players Bowie or Baily. Both played last year. I am sure we will look at OL in the draft.
Browner/WT3: I would have liked to keep both but rumor says PC was done with both of them and I did not see any true effort made in a resign. Both would have been #3 or #4 on our depth chart. Lane now moves to #3 and Pete is high on youngster Shead.
We released Clem, Sidney, and Red Bryant. All 3 on the decline and all 3 expensive. If you look at their production vs their contract it was easy to see it was time to go.
With the massive contracts that ET, Sherm, and RW should get, Seattle needs to trim any fat on the roster to try to make it fit.
The team is now $20M under the cap and will need a little more to make it all come together.

I am not trying to rub any of you the wrong way with this post. It is meant to merely inform and provide a different angle to look at.

It's cool bro. It wouldn't be the 49ers board without delusional Seahawks homers coming to share their delusions. I can't imagine the team not getting worse after losing all those guys

Wilson is going to get a massive contract? I can't wait, there goes the Seahawks Superbowl aspirations! That won't be for another year or so though, right?

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's cool bro. It wouldn't be the 49ers board without delusional Seahawks homers coming to share their delusions. I can't imagine the team not getting worse after losing all those guys

Wilson is going to get a massive contract? I can't wait, there goes the Seahawks Superbowl aspirations! That won't be for another year or so though, right?

As a 9ers fan are you really going to go there? :L

The 9ers are in that situation right now with Kap and as far as the Seahawks Superbowl aspirations, they just won it. :doh:

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a 9ers fan are you really going to go there? :L

The 9ers are in that situation right now with Kap and as far as the Seahawks Superbowl aspirations, they just won it. :doh:

So they can't have Superbowl aspirations moving forward?

And yeah, definitely, giving Kap a huge contract would likely adversely affect the team. Unless Kap and Wilson both take huge steps up they aren't deserving of that kind of cash. I have said that about Kap all offseason broham. Not that Kap's situation has anything to do with what I was talking about regarding Wilson and the Seahawks.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they can't have Superbowl aspirations moving forward?

And yeah, definitely, giving Kap a huge contract would likely adversely affect the team. Unless Kap and Wilson both take huge steps up they aren't deserving of that kind of cash. I have said that about Kap all offseason broham. Not that Kap's situation has anything to do with what I was talking about regarding Wilson and the Seahawks.

I'm not going to defend the Seahawks.

We agree in bold. :suds:

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think Uhsplit said anything that was so far fetched. He was simply explaining that the losses we've had this off season most of them are either replaceable or have little impact to the team besides affecting the depth.

Now if one of our CBs go down next year or one of our starting DTs go down next year then yes those losses will show. But at this point the starting lineups are all set and we still have the rest of the off season (with approximately 13.5 mil left in cap after signing Hauschka) and the draft to fill in the depth that we lost

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well he was graded as the top Strong Safety in the NFL this past season by ProFootballFocus. Not saying he is the best Strong Safety in the NFL by any means as I have a couple of others rated higher but like someone else said just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they are average or bad players. Plus have to remember he has been playing for the Cleveland Browns. They get about as much attention in the NFL as the towel boy for other teams.