• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's going to return punts this season?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd guess LMJ and maybe Kyle Williams depending on his recovery. Cox was putting in practice time last year for returns wasn't he? I believe someone said AJ Jenkins was too. I dunno, looks like it will be sorted out in preseason though.

The explosive returns are great, but I'd be happy with someone who doesn't muff or fumble the returns.

yep, make a good decision (easier said than done), catch the ball clean, and secure the ball. punt returners get hit hard, so this is another 'easier said than done' item.

any yards you gain afterward is gravy.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On a side note I searched to see if Patton could return punts, but instead found out he could be our backup punter.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh wait, I counted wrong. Williams will probably be cut anyway 'cause Manningham wasn't cut.

Crabs, Boldin, Manningham, Jenkins, Patton.... if they keep 6, the 6th guy should be evaluated on return ability alone.

I wonder if anyone's signed Greg Reid yet...

I wouldn't be surprised if Manningham started the season on the PUP.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-draft-recap

WR Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech (6-0, 204)
Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin are set as the starters. After that, it's wide open. Mario Manningham is not expected to return from knee surgery until after the opening of training camp. Patton, a fourth-round selection, will also compete for playing time against A.J. Jenkins and Kyle Williams. Patton will also get a look in the return game, both on kickoffs and punts "He's just a good, solid, all-around receiver," Baalke said. "He runs well enough to get behind defenders. Is he a 4.2 guy? No, but he runs well enough to get vertical and he's a very good route runner."

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think patton goes #3 on the depth chart until mario is rdy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think patton goes #3 on the depth chart until mario is rdy.

to me Mario looked the best last season, so too bad he'll take time to return. rather he takes all the time he needs, cause we want him 100% for the play-offs. when he does return, would have to think he's #3?

[being a little presumptuous with play-offs, i know]

meanwhile, would have to think #3 WR is AJ Jenkin's to lose? he has experience in the NFL, in the scheme, and with other players. as they always say, its the second year where they make the most strides.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think losing Hunter and Manningham really hurt this offense in the playoffs. LMJ stepped in adequately for Hunter, but I think Hunter is better. And we never really replaced Manningham. Though most teams have to deal with worse losses than their #2 WR and RB, so I guess I should consider us lucky. Baltimore was without one of the better cover corners in the league.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me Mario looked the best last season, so too bad he'll take time to return. rather he takes all the time he needs, cause we want him 100% for the play-offs. when he does return, would have to think he's #3?

[being a little presumptuous with play-offs, i know]

meanwhile, would have to think #3 WR is AJ Jenkin's to lose? he has experience in the NFL, in the scheme, and with other players. as they always say, its the second year where they make the most strides.

patton might beat out jenkins in training camp. jenkins only hope eventually might be if patton can take over the #2 spot.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
patton might beat out jenkins in training camp. jenkins only hope eventually might be if patton can take over the #2 spot.

and if this happens fine, it should go to the player who earns it. during the season who knows, if injuries stack up again, Jenkins will get another chance.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Quinton Patton did some returning in 2011 as well, though it doesn't appear he was particularly effective. He might get a shot, though.

Quinton Patton - WR - 49ers

49ers fourth-round WR Quinton Patton is expected to get a chance on both kick and punt returns.

Patton was not used on returns while at Louisiana Tech last season, probably because he was busy catching 104 passes and 13 touchdowns. The Niners are looking for a return man after Ted Ginn Jr. signed with the Panthers in free agency. Patton is also expected to give A.J. Jenkins all he can handle as they battle for snaps behind starters Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin.
Source: CSN Bay Area

Apr 30 - 12:06 PM