• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who should be the 49ers starting QB once Alex Smith is ready?

Who should start for the 49ers?

• Total voters

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with what Stephen A Smith said yesterday. It is not all about what Kaepernick has done in 1 game, but what Alex Smith hasn't done in many games. Kaepernick has proven he can perform very well against an elite defense. I think Kaepernick can do anything Smith can do and more.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ready for Colin, I don't want to find myself asking what if...

Smith has always been a great professional, so he won't throw a bitch fit if he gets replaced and if the 49ers have to come back to him because CK struggles or whatever, Smith isn't going to hold a grudge... he is just going to get back to work.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ready for Colin, I don't want to find myself asking what if...

Smith has always been a great professional, so he won't throw a bitch fit if he gets replaced and if the 49ers have to come back to him because CK struggles or whatever, Smith isn't going to hold a grudge... he is just going to get back to work.

IDK about that. He sure threw one when Harbaugh looked at Manning.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do you figure? Smith didn't trash the coaching or front office and he came back when Manning said no to the 49ers.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you say this because he didnt take the first deal offered to him on the table? That's called business not throwing a fit

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gimme veteran presence on the road for $200, Alex

If possible, I would love to keep opposing defensive coordinators guessing as to what QB will be playing
Do you want to get paper cut to death or slashed by a samurai sword?

since the old saint def coordinator and Vilma came back, the Saints have been playing better on defense, btw.

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith should be. He was injured it wasn't a fact that he was benched. Stick with your starter.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do you figure? Smith didn't trash the coaching or front office and he came back when Manning said no to the 49ers.

Do you say this because he didnt take the first deal offered to him on the table? That's called business not throwing a fit

He cited Stephen A. Smith, so I'm assuming he watches First Take where Stephen A. constantly, whenever they talk about Smith, says that Alex was insulted, "had the gaul" to be upset about their interest in Manning, etc. Stephen A. has, in the past, assumed things that weren't confirmed and he likes to go back on that and repeat it. Smith didn't throw a fit, he did what his agent said he should, look for another team while Manning was a possibility. I'm sure he booked the flight to Miami before Manning announced.

Example: Jeremy Lin said he was 80% of the way to the minimum health to play in last year's playoffs. Stephen A., even after being corrected by a few sources, still claims that he was 80% healthy in general - in his diatribe to question Lin's motives for playing (money, not to win). Guess what? If that were true, winning = more bucks. So if were simple as win = money, he'd have played. He was injured - admitting that doesn't mean you have to admit he was any good.

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith has been replaced by Trent Dilfer, Shaun Hill, J.T. O'Sullivan, and Troy Smith. Right? I believe that every one of these guys have started over a healthy Alex Smith... and he just accepted it and continued to work hard... showed up early and left late.

How could you possibly argue that Alex Smith got pissed when the 49ers tried to replace him with a 1st ballot HOF, Super Bowl winning QB?

I get disliking him for his onfield performances... but Alex Smith has always been the consummate professional. The only time he caused strife was when Nolan was publicly saying that Alex was milking an injury and there was nothing wrong with him... then later Smith had season ending surgery on a grade 3 separated shoulder. Unprofessionally Alex said, "Yeah, Nolan is obviously full of shit because doctors had to cut me open to fix me" (paraphrase)

Smith gave it his best here... obviously his best wasn't enough, but please don't question his professionalism. His one saving grace for on-field disappointment is that he busted his ass and never acted like a petulant child when the 49ers tried someone else at QB

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith has been replaced by Trent Dilfer, Shaun Hill, J.T. O'Sullivan, and Troy Smith. Right? I believe that every one of these guys have started over a healthy Alex Smith... and he just accepted it and continued to work hard... showed up early and left late.

How could you possibly argue that Alex Smith got pissed when the 49ers tried to replace him with a 1st ballot HOF, Super Bowl winning QB?

I get disliking him for his onfield performances... but Alex Smith has always been the consummate professional. The only time he caused strife was when Nolan was publicly saying that Alex was milking an injury and there was nothing wrong with him... then later Smith had season ending surgery on a grade 3 separated shoulder. Unprofessionally Alex said, "Yeah, Nolan is obviously full of shit because doctors had to cut me open to fix me" (paraphrase)

Smith gave it his best here... obviously his best wasn't enough, but please don't question his professionalism. His one saving grace for on-field disappointment is that he busted his ass and never acted like a petulant child when the 49ers tried someone else at QB

Well said.

Don't even need to look past the first page on this board to see how not to react to a demotion (see Chilo thread)

It's not surprising to see players spout off in the media when they're not getting the ball enough these days and he's been nothing but positive.

Alex's trajectory has many parallels to Barry Zito's story..I hope it has a similar happy ending

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this in another thread but I think it goes here.

I am in favor of Kaep but I'm not sure this is the time to name him the starting QB. This is what needs to happen. Harbaugh should name Kaep the starter for this week only on the basis of giving Alex another week off. Going into Chicago the Bears didn't have any film on Kaep so it made it difficult to game plan. Now that there are tape on him lets see how things go! If Kaep has another great game then you can make the decision that Kaep is the starting QB.

No need to rock the boat if you don't need too. What happens if Kaep has a horrible game this week? Harbaugh has to leave himself a little wiggle room.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it's the right move to start Kap.

It should give us a better idea, of maybe even finalize the idea of if he's the QB of the future or not.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...don't question his professionalism. His one saving grace for on-field disappointment is that he busted his ass and never acted like a petulant child when the 49ers tried someone else at QB

I'd like to nominate you for level-headed poster of the year (there are other nominees, too). You voted for Kaep to start, but just like you have come to other Niner's defense, you did it here, reasonably. Props, three! To piggy back on your post -

This might be news to some, but it IS possible for Kaep to be better than someone who has performed well before. (Not saying consistently.) There's no reason to tear down Smith as if everything he's done is due to everybody else but himself, that he can only throw ten yards, etc. If you can jump 5 feet, there's no reason to say the hurdle was one foot tall. Just say it was 3 or 4 or whatever it was.

Kaep can and should be better than whatever we've seen Smith do. As I've almost always been against "can't", "never", "always" statements, I'm also against overstating your claim to Player A to support Player B. There's no need. Again, most of this is from the Niner's Board and comments after the articles. This board is pretty good.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It should give us a better idea, of maybe even finalize the idea of if he's the QB of the future or not.

Nothing will be finalized one way or another, but I get what you're saying. I wouldn't quit on Kaep if he struggles against a confusing defense. If he plays well, I wouldn't say that Kaep is definitely the future just because of the Bears and Saints games, I would use other reasons, too - some of the reasons we already know before this next game.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nothing will be finalized one way or another, but I get what you're saying. I wouldn't quit on Kaep if he struggles against a confusing defense. If he plays well, I wouldn't say that Kaep is definitely the future just because of the Bears and Saints games, I would use other reasons, too - some of the reasons we already know before this next game.

The future is second priority. I don't want to use the playoff stretch to figure that out.

The most important issue is which QB gives us the best chance of getting that ring now. Kaep or Alex, whatever...just win

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody else miss Montana?

Nah, nothing to do there. Plus, I wasn't there long enough for the place to grow on me. But I liked Denver a bit. I always thought he left us too early. The way he left was a bit ironic due to his biggest hit, "Leaving on a Jet Plane."

Young, I miss, though. Being able to do whatever I wanted was a definite advantage to being more youthful.

Last edited by a moderator: