• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is Marving talking about here?

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That sounds like a lot of Mike Brown.

I believe this was from a day or 2 ago.

Sounds like a shot at Brown's stubbornness. He IS the only one that couldn't see Carson had to go. Even I was a big fan of Carson coming back, but could see that at this point, the only way we don't lose is by trading him.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't take shots at Brown - He was talking about Palmer.

And yes I know it doesn't make sense.... But does Marvin ever make sense?

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That is what I was confused about. Palmer didn't make sense there.

Silly me, I forgot Marvin never makes sense.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

All the bad PR from the Palmer situation probably didn't help the team sell tickets...

but fans didn't show up because they went 4-12 when there was SB talk in 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some suggest he may be referring to Paul Daugherty

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Daugherty responds:

Fellow comrade-in-arms, Paul Daugherty of the Cincinnati Enquirer and SI.com, was blasted by Marvin Lewis during his weekly press conference today.
***8220;He***8221; was never identified, but considering Lewis***8217;s contentious relationship with the local media during his entire stint in Cincinnati, ***8211; could ***8216;he***8217; really be anyone else?
Could be. I wasnt there.
A few things:
1. I***8217;m flattered that Marvin thinks I have that much clout.
2. That***8217;s crazy.
I havent slammed The Men this year. No need. Occasional slams at The Fam, yes, but only when deserved. As I***8217;ve told every coach/player/manager/owner/administrator who has ever reacted unfavorably to something I***8217;ve written or said: I don***8217;t create the reality. I just reflect it.
In essence: Do good, I write good. Do bad, I write bad.
It really is that simple.
I havent told fans not to go to games. I***8217;ve wondered at length if the surprising success of this team has forced them to pull for players while rooting against ownership. I***8217;ve remarked both locally and on SI.com, that in 23 years of watching the NFL and The Men, I have never encountered a team whose fans so deeply disliked ownership. So if Marv means me, he***8217;s got it all wrong.
He doesn***8217;t, I dont think.
I think he means Carson Palmer.
Which is also crazy.
Look, you can dislike Nine for quitting on his mates. You can wonder about the football passion of a guy who***8217;d rather stop playing in the prime of his career than continue to play for the Bengals. You can speculate that this grand ploy was a spectacular gamble that failed. If that***8217;s so, whoever hatched it didnt do his Mike B. homework.
But to blame Palmer for lousy attendance entirely misses the point.
Palmer held up a mirror to this organization. The organization, as it always does, turned the mirror back on its accuser.
Instead of castigating Nine, Mike B. and Marvin and everyone else within the walls at PBS (Publicly Bought Stadium) should seriously consider why Palmer did it. And what you can do to make sure something like that never happens again. I mean, the man is 31 years old. He has had injuries, some serious, some unreported. His wife disliked it here. (Too bad, really. Make an effort to be part of the community. You might like it better.) He doesnt need any more money.
But he***8217;s 31. Prime time. You can***8217;t convince me he doesnt want to play. Recently, he***8217;d been working out with T.J. Houshmandzadeh. For Palmer to abandon in midstream a career he worked his whole life to attain has to say something about the place he worked. Doesnt it?
As I wrote here yesterday, a question that needs to be asked by someone ***8212; preferably someone holding a mirror to his gaze ***8212; is, ***8220;Have you ever known a franchise QB in his prime to retire in the middle of a fat contract, rather than play for his current team? Why do you think Palmer did it?***8221;
That***8217;s the issue the Bengals need to be examining. Instead, they blame others. This is typical.
They did it with Andy Furman way back in the early 90s. Furman and I hosted Sunday Morning Sports Talk from Caddy***8217;s. One Sunday, Furman urged fans not to go to the games. The next week, he was removed from the show. The punter Lee Johnson criticized the organization after a game. The following week, they cut him. The Pickens Clause. The pilot who flew the anti-Bengals banner over Georgetown College. Alan Cutler doing a postgame show in which he***8217;s not allowed to take calls.
At some point, wouldnt a wise head say, ***8220;Hey, if we make our product consistently good, or at least more than occasionally palatable, we shut up all the media heathens and sell more tickets.***8221;
Do that, there is no need to fire Furman, cut Johnson, include a gag order in contracts, hassle a pilot or keep Cutler from doing his job more effectively. Neither is there a need to make an obtuse, negative reference to Carson Palmer (or me, or anyone) scuttling fan enthusisam.
If the Bengals did their business well, Palmer would never have left. Why he felt compelled to leave is the question they should be answering.
I know some of you will say,***8221;Doc, Carson***8217;s not coming back, so why do you keep bringing it up?***8221; I didn***8217;t. Marvin did, when asked an unrelated question regarding attendance.
In any event, the Bengals brain trust would benefit from assessing themselves before blaming outsiders for their mostly losing ways.
Whew.
Now, then. . .

The Morning Line, 10/18 | Paul Daugherty