• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who Do You Want to See on 9/1?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are correct. If he has to be placed on the 40 man roster anyway - to protect him from the next rule 5 draft - then putting him on the 40 man on sept 1 won't use up an extra option.

I will have to look this up, but I think Hembree is still protected from the Rule V for a couple more years...

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How about Sabes in the off season float this trade?

Adam Dunn for Rowand and Zito?

Rowand seems to like Chicago better than SF, Zito may be more of an AL pitcher than an NL pitcher, though at this point he is not much of an anything pitcher.

Dunn has had an atrocious year, and cannot really be this bad, can he? Is he hurt? Guy has averaged 40 homers a year, and this year he is hitting .163 with 11 homers. He came up as a LF, but has been at 1B and DH this year, and mostly at 1B with the Nats in 2010. The Giants have not had a legit 40 homer guy in their lineup since, well, since what's his name.

Dunn is owed $44 million through 2014 ($14m, $15m, $15m)

Zito is owed $19 million (2012) and $20 million (2013) with a $7 million buyout for 2014

Rowand is owed $12 million for 2012

So we give CWS the $14 million difference.

Hey, it is probably be a terrible idea. But having Rowand and Zito on the same team is NOT a terrible idea?

:behindsofa:

Interesting idea Stokes, but I don't think the White Sox GM would make that move unless he's under a lot of pressure to try and get rid of the Dunn contract (probably wouldn't happen after only 1 year.) Also 1B/LF is blocked by Huff and Belt. The White Sox could keep him on their roster without him murdering them in the field, the Giants can't.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tzill handled it, but he left off the part about Dunn being the biggest FA bust in MLB history (position player division). Zito is the biggest in the pitcher division.

Swap them for each other? Does anyone really win?

Also, Dunn is worthless in a hitters park...he could conceivably bat .120/.200/.220 here.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tzill handled it, but he left off the part about Dunn being the biggest FA bust in MLB history (position player division). Zito is the biggest in the pitcher division.

Swap them for each other? Does anyone really win?

Also, Dunn is worthless in a hitters park...he could conceivably bat .120/.200/.220 here.

From 2008 to 2010, his numbers at AT&T are not great, but not terrible. .244, with 1 homer, and 2 RBI's in 41 ABs.

Just floating it out. If asked, I wouldn't do it. But the money is even, and Dunn could actually contribute (unless he is really finished, and this year is no fluke).

No one actually wins with this, but perhaps a change of scenery might be good for all involved. :confused:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From 2008 to 2010, his numbers at AT&T are not great, but not terrible. .244, with 1 homer, and 2 RBI's in 41 ABs.

Just floating it out. If asked, I wouldn't do it. But the money is even, and Dunn could actually contribute (unless he is really finished, and this year is no fluke).

No one actually wins with this, but perhaps a change of scenery might be good for all involved. :confused:

It's not like he is just having a Huff-style down year. Just LOOK at his numbers. No sale.

Also, 1 HR in 41 ABs at AT&T = teh suck. That's all he's there for is to walk and hit HRs. Really, the Giants don't want any part of him. Or any other aging vets. We have tried that over and over.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I will have to look this up, but I think Hembree is still protected from the Rule V for a couple more years...

Selection eligibility

Players are eligible for selection in the Rule 5 draft who are not on their major league organization's 40-man roster and:

– were signed at age 19 or older and have been in the organization for four years; or

– were signed at age 18 or younger and have been in the organization for five years

Hembree, Brown, and Panic all have quite a bit of time before the Rule 5 draft poses an danger to them.

I wouldn't be surprised if a cellar dweller takes a flyer on Pill, though. He's put up a monster season in the PCL

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's not like he is just having a Huff-style down year. Just LOOK at his numbers. No sale.

Also, 1 HR in 41 ABs at AT&T = teh suck. That's all he's there for is to walk and hit HRs. Really, the Giants don't want any part of him. Or any other aging vets. We have tried that over and over.

Same money spent either way, and it frees up a roster spot. I'de do it for that benefit alone.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same money spent either way, and it frees up a roster spot. I'de do it for that benefit alone.

Then Dunn takes UP a roster spot. If that's all you want to do, cut out the middleman and DFA Rowand and Zito.

But they won't. :(

Dunn (and Rios) have singlehandedly killed the White Sox this year, they'd be neck and neck for the division without those two. We at least have injuries to blame.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Peguero has a pretty good shot as a callup this year since he's already on the 40 man. Also, Burrell should be coming back as soon as the first rolls around. He's been rehabbing in the minors for a while now. He's not done yet.

Locks: Stamos, Burriss, Ford, Gillaspie, Chez3, Runzler, Surkamp

Likely: Burrell

Long(long)shots: Brown, Pill, Hembree

BeerMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawdad, chill Pill, Brown stain

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sabean won't be calling up The Flash this September: http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci_18790900

It makes sense.

I know that our fan base is so starved for production that reaching has become the normal mental state, but one season of A ball does not equal ML success.

He's going into next season as one of the top prospects in baseball, and has scouts licking their chops. His value as a trade chip is about to skyrocket.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It makes sense.

I know that our fan base is so starved for production that reaching has become the normal mental state, but one season of A ball does not equal ML success.

He's going into next season as one of the top prospects in baseball, and has scouts licking their chops. His value as a trade chip is about to skyrocket.

"Gary Brown and Joe Panik will both be bench players at best...fuck the Giants"

-Keith Law

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"Gary Brown and Joe Panik will both be bench players at best...fuck the Giants"

-Keith Law

Law hates all of our prospects, except Belt. He even said that Belt > Hosmer and Freeman in the long run during his chat a week or two ago.

He trashed the Brown pick as a reach, and did the same thing this year with Panik by calling him a "utility infielder at best".

He hated the Bumgarner pick, because we would have gotten Heyward instead...

Said that Lincecums mechanics would inhibit him from reaching his potential

and the bashing goes on and on.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Law hates all of our prospects, except Belt. He even said that Belt > Hosmer and Freeman in the long run during his chat a week or two ago.

He trashed the Brown pick as a reach, and did the same thing this year with Panik by calling him a "utility infielder at best".

He hated the Bumgarner pick, because we would have gotten Heyward instead...

Said that Lincecums mechanics would inhibit him from reaching his potential

and the bashing goes on and on.

Law, sitting on his ass in front of a computer evaluating prospects.

Sabean, sitting on his ass in front of a computer evaluating prospects with a ring.

Fuck Law and his espn ass.