• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who Dey!?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who da fuck do these steelers, browns, and ravens think they are?

they are evan's bitches.

mrschaney would be proud... @mrschaney
I think...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who da fuck do these steelers, browns, and ravens think they are?

they are evan's bitches.

mrschaney would be proud... @mrschaney
I think...
I was actually really excited about him after we drafted him. That leg power. FG's and extra points account for a lot of points during a year, and a guy that can get you a few extra points that other kickers can't, from 60, is a weapon.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually really excited about him after we drafted him. That leg power. FG's and extra points account for a lot of points during a year, and a guy that can get you a few extra points that other kickers can't, from 60, is a weapon.
I think in one aspect, the FG game has changed with the PAT - no longer a gimme and getting guys off the street that can bang in 98 of 100 (or whatever) isn't a sure thing anymore. Finding a guy that can do that is worth an extra point, or two, a game here and there. The difference between a tie and a win. It's also the difference in strategy late in games - instead of needing a FG to win, a TD is required, etc...

As you said, also, having a guy you know can bang one in from the 45 yard line is a nice weapon to have, especially on last minute drives of either half.

Was it early for a FG kicker? Maybe, yeah. But if they were set on taking him and knew he wouldn't last until their spot in the 6th, is a killer? No, not really.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and that goes back to one of my big draft points I've made here - The draft is an absolute crap-shoot - but it's not just the draft that is the issue...it's recognizing that the player isn't going to cut it and moving on as quickly as possible.

This is where the Bengals have really failed - and a lot of it is because of how loyal Brown is to his guys (draft picks included). Missing on a draft pick is bad enough (especially higher ones), but failing to recognize the limited ability of the player and moving on for a replacement is where the real hurt comes.
I guess this might be a good thing about the new staff..... Seems that they've been fine with letting some of the disappointments ride the bench or just cutting them outright. They immediately got rid of Malik Jefferson (a third rounder) and pretty much let John Ross rot. Billy Price has only played when injuries have popped up even though he was a first rounder. Heck, they even moved on from the Ryan Finley experiment even though they gave up draft capital to get him. In the past we would have hung onto him as a backup for years.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in one aspect, the FG game has changed with the PAT - no longer a gimme and getting guys off the street that can bang in 98 of 100 (or whatever) isn't a sure thing anymore. Finding a guy that can do that is worth an extra point, or two, a game here and there. The difference between a tie and a win. It's also the difference in strategy late in games - instead of needing a FG to win, a TD is required, etc...

As you said, also, having a guy you know can bang one in from the 45 yard line is a nice weapon to have, especially on last minute drives of either half.

Was it early for a FG kicker? Maybe, yeah. But if they were set on taking him and knew he wouldn't last until their spot in the 6th, is a killer? No, not really.

I don't think people value kickers enough. I mentioned it in another thread, but I'll mention it again... You can make the case that Justin Tucker is worth a first round pick. Whenever the Ravens cross midfield they have a ridiculously high probability of at least getting 3. There are only so many possessions in a game - Having a good kicker maximizes those possessions.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
special teams has been a sore spot for our teams in the past.

what's the point of having a Carson Palmer or a Joe Burrow who can lead your team down the field in a two minute drill, score that last second touchdown and then have your kicker miss the extra point.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think people value kickers enough. I mentioned it in another thread, but I'll mention it again... You can make the case that Justin Tucker is worth a first round pick. Whenever the Ravens cross midfield they have a ridiculously high probability of at least getting 3. There are only so many possessions in a game - Having a good kicker maximizes those possessions.
It completely changes the way a defense can defend when they have to defend the short area with minimal time as well as the larger downfield areas.

With minimal time, defenses typically focus on the sideline and deeper parts of the field leaving the middle wide open as they want the clock to tick. But if Burrow gets the ball at the 35 with a minute left, he only needs 20 yards to get to the other side of the 45, and allow his Kicker to attempt a 62 yard FG - which this kid has the leg for.

That means, the defense has to cover the middle - and allows for the offense to find more creases to exploit bigger/better gains for an even shorter attempt. Suddenly, they have room on the outside and a bit more downfield, and that 62 can easily end up becoming a 45 yard attempt.