• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who are the top 5 college football coaches of all-time?

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bear
DKR
Rockne
Snyder
Wilkinson
Lavell Edwards

no order. Its 6, because I couldnt cut out Snyder

Lavell Edwards? :laugh3:

Why, because he won a natty at BYU in a year they won the fucking Holiday Bowl over a shit .500 Michigan team?

I know you want to make some surprising pick that nobody else could think of and it would only be your brilliance that could find it, but give us all a fucking break.

Great coach, but to even put him in the top 40 of all time is stretch, much less top 10.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What no Eddie Robinson is mentioned in 7 pages??? Bunch of racists!!!!

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Codaxx this entire thread has just been trying to formulate some sort of argument to make DKR a top 5 college coach of all time when he isn't. Nobody outside of Texas would list DKR in the top 5 of all time. Coda has a unique perspective of looking at coaches but it's obvious he downplays some particular coaches out of spite. There is no reason Osborne and Switzer aren't top 5 unless you either A. Didn't watch or pay attention to them when they were coaching or B. You have something against these guys for whatever sad reason that is.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can disagree, but he is one of the greatest football minds of the last few decades. Unbelievable coach. Anyone doubting that does not understand the game.

I am with Codaxx and said so in my post.

Bill Snyder took one of the worst football schools ever(perennial doormat and homecoming game opponent), and made them title contenders. There are not many coaches out there that could have and would have done that. Probably none. He retired, Kansas State went back in the toilet sort of.

To say DKR was not a great coach is wrong. He had something like a .775 winning percentage and the Richard Nixon national championship. I believe the Texas Arkansas game is considered to be one of the greatest games ever.

After I type this I will now have to go look up DKR history though.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bear Bryant
Nick Sabin
Barry Switzer
Bobby Bowden
Joe Paterno

And let Meyer win another one with tOSU and I'd have to add him to the list.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this former coach didn't coach at the D-I level but nobody will ever repeat the success he had, here are the numbers...

Overall record: 332-24-3

National titles 11: '93, '96, '97, '98, '00, '01, '02, '05, '06, '08 & '12 (also lost 5 national title games)

Highest winning % in CFB history: .929

55 consecutive wins from 2000 to 2003 (also a 54 game winning streak): from 1997 to 2003 this school won 109 regular season games out of a possible 110

won 110 consecutive regular season games between '94 & '05

14 undefeated regular season

Granted this is a D-III school but what Coach Larry Kehres did while at tiny Mount Union is simply incredible.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the Frank Kimmel of CFB.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't you let others pick their own favorite coach (especially from the program they are a fan of)? That's now two teams that you've told fans of those teams that they are wrong :L

This board is actually supposed to be about discussing college football. That is what I am doing. I also laid out my case. I am sorry if questioning an opinion offends you. I also figure post people aren't going to cry about having a logical discussion.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lavell Edwards? :laugh3:

Why, because he won a natty at BYU in a year they won the fucking Holiday Bowl over a shit .500 Michigan team?

I know you want to make some surprising pick that nobody else could think of and it would only be your brilliance that could find it, but give us all a fucking break.

Great coach, but to even put him in the top 40 of all time is stretch, much less top 10.

Have you looked at what he did? He built BYU from nothing. I private moron school. He may have had more influence on the game than any coach the last 40 years. While most coaches were copying formations and running the ball, he designed a pass first offense. His coaching tree makes most other coaches' look like a shrub. Here some of the guys:

Sarkisian
Holmgren
Hal Mumme
Norm Chow
Whittingham
Billick (Super Bowl winning coach)
Andy Reid
Mike Leach

He won a title with almost 0 resources. Basically the father of modern passing games in college football. Built a program. Much better resume than many of the coaches picked here

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Codaxx this entire thread has just been trying to formulate some sort of argument to make DKR a top 5 college coach of all time when he isn't. Nobody outside of Texas would list DKR in the top 5 of all time. Coda has a unique perspective of looking at coaches but it's obvious he downplays some particular coaches out of spite. There is no reason Osborne and Switzer aren't top 5 unless you either A. Didn't watch or pay attention to them when they were coaching or B. You have something against these guys for whatever sad reason that is.

I don't think it is that simple. I am actually raging for Edwards at the moment. Osborne was great, but I look at one thing. His winning percentage was less than 1% pt higher than his predecessor, who built Nebraska. Devaney won at an 83% clip, in spite of Nebraska going 19-40 the 6 prior years. Osborne takes over a NC team and wins at a 83.5% clip. Which do you think was harder to accomplish?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you looked at what he did? He built BYU from nothing. I private moron school. He may have had more influence on the game than any coach the last 40 years. While most coaches were copying formations and running the ball, he designed a pass first offense. His coaching tree makes most other coaches' look like a shrub. Here some of the guys:

Sarkisian
Holmgren
Hal Mumme
Norm Chow
Whittingham
Billick (Super Bowl winning coach)
Andy Reid
Mike Leach

He won a title with almost 0 resources. Basically the father of modern passing games in college football. Built a program. Much better resume than many of the coaches picked here

No doubt Edwards was a great HC. Hey who do you consider to be the best QB from BYU all time? Going just by CFB #'s I'd say Ty Detmer. But talking NFL career gotta go w/ Steve Young.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bear Bryant
John McKay
Knute Rockne
Tom Osborne
Nick Saban

When Saban's contract runs out, he will be at the top of this list.

I believe it's been proven that Spurrier > Saban. Don't you listen to Finebaum? :lol:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo Schembechler if you think Michigan you think Bo

Took us 87 posts before somebody mentioned Schembechler?

Bo and Woody might be debatable, as are several others, but I don't know how anyone could argue against the following:

Bobby Bowden
Bear Bryant
Joe Paterno
Howard Schnellenberger (j/k)

Saban will be right up there when he retires, if he keeps it up.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took us 87 posts before somebody mentioned Schembechler?

Bo and Woody might be debatable, as are several others, but I don't know how anyone could argue against the following:

Bobby Bowden
Bear Bryant
Joe Paterno
Howard Schnellenberger (j/k)

Saban will be right up there when he retires, if he keeps it up.

It is a joke, but Howard can coach. Built Miami into a national power. Louisville was discussing moving the program to 1-aa before he came. He started FAU from literally nothing. Started the program. He went from playing the schools first football game ever to winning the Sun Belt in 7 years. No idea what happened in his 1 year at OU, but his career proved his was a good coach

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a joke, but Howard can coach. Built Miami into a national power. Louisville was discussing moving the program to 1-aa before he came. He started FAU from literally nothing. Started the program. He went from playing the schools first football game ever to winning the Sun Belt in 7 years. No idea what happened in his 1 year at OU, but his career proved his was a good coach

Yeah, he's "pretty good," but a step beneath the all-time greats.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe Woody isn't getting more love. 5 titles - and none were back to back, meaning mostly all with different rosters. 13 conference titles. And he had an amazing right hook!

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryant - "The Bear"
Switzer - Great recruiter. Perfected the wishbone.
Osborne - Had to reinvent his offense to start beating Switzer/Oklahoma. Had to reinvent his defense to start beating the Florida teams.
Bowden - Started from scratch and would play anyone anywhere for a paycheck to fund his program.
Hayden Fry - For his coaching tree.