• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who are the superstars right now? Vote and discuss, if you are so inclined

Who are the superstars right now?

• Jokic

• Embiid

• Giannis

• LeBron

• Durant

• Curry

• Luka

• Shai GA

• Tatum

• Butler

• A Davis

• Kawhi

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Edwards is a superstar along with Butler but Curry and KD aren't? I guess you do like em young

I didn’t vote.

Curry and KD are two of the biggest superstars of all time in the NBA.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Edwards or Haliburton are the most likely to be a superstar next, I agree they are not there yet.

It is hard to know when long time superstars have dropped below the status.

Just as hard to know when a new guy has taken the leap.

I did not know until I checked my list, but I lean way more towards the younger players.

Even now I don't feel great about it. I ended with 8 overall.
You say Butler is a superstar but KD and Curry aren't? Butler ain't that young...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t vote.

Curry and KD are two of the biggest superstars of all time in the NBA.
Yeah meant that for Mebert, deleted and corrected

Why not vote? I'm genuinely curious what all the NBA heads here think

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The spirit of this thread is in fact that everyone gets to share their own classifications, it's interesting how people differ. No one is objectively correct in every choice.

But Yao Ming? The fuck are you talking about?

It’s his way of defining a superstar by saying who is most recognizable to people who don’t follow the sport.

Back in the day way more people who didn’t follow the sport knew who Yao Ming was than virtually any other NBA player to ever play the game. The only exception might be Jordan. But again his list of superstars using that classification would mean his list is Jordan and Ming. And no one else even close.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s his way of defining a superstar by saying who is most recognizable to people who don’t follow the sport.

Back in the day way more people who didn’t follow the sport knew who Yao Ming was than virtually any other NBA player to ever play the game. The only exception might be Jordan. But again his list of superstars using that classification would mean his list is Jordan and Ming. And no one else even close.
You're being way too reductive. He's not saying recognizability is the only factor. Any reasonable definition would include a combination of on court results, fame, and alpha dogness in some combo, with the interesting part coming from how different people weight those. To play a trick because a billion Chinese people know Yao Ming is getting away from the point.

Why not make your picks to show how you think of it?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone except Kawhi, Davis.

They have Superstar Talent.

Injuries, load management, lethargy keep them out of the conversation for me.

Butler in the playoffs is some unreal shit.

Lebron is still unbelievable, even if he has lost a step.

Steph is Steph.

Antman gonna be on this list very soon.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should tier them?

Franchise player

Superstar

Star

All Star
That’s a lot more players though but hell yeah make that thread

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone except Kawhi, Davis.

They have Superstar Talent.

Injuries, load management, lethargy keep them out of the conversation for me.

Butler in the playoffs is some unreal shit.

Lebron is still unbelievable, even if he has lost a step.

Steph is Steph.

Antman gonna be on this list very soon.
That’s another fun thread, FUTURE superstars like Antman, Ja, Wemby

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're being way too reductive. He's not saying recognizability is the only factor. Any reasonable definition would include a combination of on court results, fame, and alpha dogness in some combo, with the interesting part coming from how different people weight those. To play a trick because a billion Chinese people know Yao Ming is getting away from the point.

Why not make your picks to show how you think of it?

You’re right. Overall fame outside of the basketball world should play an incredibly small and almost negligible part of the measurement of what constitutes a basketball superstar. That’s exactly my point.

Why don’t I make a pick???

Because you didn’t put my guy on the list!

Baby Pout GIF

The only player on that list I wouldn’t vote for is Butler. And that is only out of spite.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re right. Overall fame outside of the basketball world should play an incredibly small and almost negligible part of the measurement of what constitutes a basketball superstar. That’s exactly my point.
OK and others see it different, which was MY point, to find out who thinks what
Why don’t I make a pick???

Because you didn’t put my guy on the list!

Baby Pout GIF

The only player on that list I wouldn’t vote for is Butler. And that is only out of spite.
That was why I put the 'someone else' category. Vote that then tell us you mean Antman, the fun is the discussion. Is he the only one you'd add?

And if you think the entire list are superstars but Butler then your criteria is pretty broad...and that's great! Just trying to get some discussion going, see how different people view that category

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The spirit of this thread is in fact that everyone gets to share their own classifications, it's interesting how people differ. No one is objectively correct in every choice.

But Yao Ming? The fuck are you talking about?
It’s reducing the assessment of a team’s roster based on a fucking Q rating haha. What are we even doing here? It’s about the team on the court. You have 3 top 15-20-25 players on the same roster? You have 5 HOF guys that play major minutes for you? These are super teams. Point blank.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s reducing the assessment of a team’s roster based on a fucking Q rating haha. What are we even doing here? It’s about the team on the court. You have 3 top 15-20-25 players on the same roster? You have 5 HOF guys that play major minutes for you? These are super teams. Point blank.
He explained it in a reply just above, ducky actually doesn't think fame matters much at all

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He explained it in a reply just above, ducky actually doesn't think fame matters much at all
Yeah I’m agreeing with his assessment. I think the 80s Lakers, 80’s Celtics, Bron Heat, KG Celtics, KD Warriors, all super teams that won chips. I think there failed “Super teams” as well like KD Kyrie Harden Nets.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I’m agreeing with his assessment. I think the 80s Lakers, 80’s Celtics, Bron Heat, KG Celtics, KD Warriors, all super teams that won chips. I think there failed “Super teams” as well like KD Kyrie Harden Nets.
Uh...this is the superSTAR thread though not superteams. I agree with your post here just the same

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh...this is the superSTAR thread though not superteams. I agree with your post here just the same
Ducky was talking about the inception of the discussion. I was talking about Happy Days in your thread which is essentially Joanie Loves Chachi.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ducky was talking about the inception of the discussion. I was talking about Happy Days in your thread which is essentially Joanie Loves Chachi.
9:30PM in Philly and I see you've been getting Cheech and Chonged

Be right with you in a couple hours here

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A ridiculous way to classify it.

By your definition, the greatest NBA superstar of all time is………

Yao Ming.

Um….

No.

He was not a superstar.

You have to be an elite player AND a face of the league. Not 1 or the other.

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm currently living in a Southeast Asian country who love the NBA and I can tell you without a doubt the two players that they only bring up when I talk NBA with them is Steph and LeBron. All the players on the original list are great, I personally think Jokic is currently the best player in the NBA.