• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who are the storied franchises in MLB?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part, the “other” team rarely sees a lot of success. I suspect there is a case of a “little brother” syndrome.

The A’s used to be the alpha team in the Bay Area, but then they were stupid and signed over their rights to the South Bay to the Giants in the early 90s and that was that. The Giants almost instantaneously became the alpha franchise and the A’s have struggled ever since. There is obviously much more to it (KNBR being a major factor as well), but I think the SJ deal cemented the A’s position as a beta.

The Mets, White Sox and Angels all suffer the same inferiority complex.

Did the A's do that to help keep the Giants in the Bay Area? At least, that is what A's fans keep saying. If that's true, then it is pretty messed up that the Giants have used that nice gesture to dominate the Bay and disadvantage the A's. As a Giants fan, I guess I should be happy about it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did the A's receive for that giveaway?
I don’t think they got anything. They weren’t using the territory and the Giants needed the push to lock down the sale and the early stages of planning Pac Bell.

The A’s were being neighborly.

There was talk a few years back that the Giants should return the territory now that they are doing well and the A’s are struggling, but the Giants had cultivated the territory for 25 years and it was critical to their business model, so they basically said “pound sand”. IIRC, that anticipated request was part of the thinking behind the Giants actually buying the SJ Giants outright, to solidify their claim to the territory.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I shared earlier, I became a sports fan in 1987. I quickly learned that they were the defending champs. I looked at them like gods. Strawberry, Gooden, Keith Hernandez, Gary Carter, and company were so good. They really could've won more than one WS in those days.

Of course, they also have Tom Seaver and the 1969 WS. Can we credit them a little bit with Nolan Ryan?
Yeah he actually got a few starts in 1969.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think they got anything. They weren’t using the territory and the Giants needed the push to lock down the sale and the early stages of planning Pac Bell.

The A’s were being neighborly.

There was talk a few years back that the Giants should return the territory now that they are doing well and the A’s are struggling, but the Giants had cultivated the territory for 25 years and it was critical to their business model, so they basically said “pound sand”. IIRC, that anticipated request was part of the thinking behind the Giants actually buying the SJ Giants outright, to solidify their claim to the territory.
No good deed goes unpunished I guess

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect the A’s got pressure from the league to do it as well. They probably got some under the table considerations at the time.

Let me be clear…

I don’t KNOW any of this. I was not involved in any of the discussions. But this is how I remember the situation and everything I have heard since fits into that narrative perfectly.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect the A’s got pressure from the league to do it as well. They probably got some under the table considerations at the time.

Let me be clear…

I don’t KNOW any of this. I was not involved in any of the discussions. But this is how I remember the situation and everything I have heard since fits into that narrative perfectly.

I had always guessed that you were Bob Lurie or Larry Baer.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to have the Reds on the list, since they were the first team with all ringers and are considered the first "pro" team.

No question on Yanks and Dodgers, can't really argue with Red Sox, White Sox, Cardinals, Cubs. After that it gets nitpicky

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No good deed goes unpunished I guess
Exactly.

But if you give me a bolt of fabric that is collecting dust in your attic and I create a million dollar coat out of it, is it right for you to come to me and ask for the fabric (coat) back? Fuck you. It was garbage when you had it and I built this amazing coat out of this thing you weren’t using. Now you want to reap the rewards of my sewing skills?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet you just went and looked up how wrong you were.

Edit: you totally did LOL...Robotech above quoted what you had there initially, but then you looked it up and quickly changed it to the Osmond bit. Holy shit are you stupid LOL.
Sherlock Holmes would be proud of your detective work. Still though, it does make you look like an imbecilic fool.