• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: WHJC: Canada/Denmark

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who owns his rights?

Undrafted. Even with how much what happens in this tournament is overvalued I suspect he'll remain that way after this year's draft.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some notes on Team Canada players I've been curious about because of their prospect status.

Thomas Chabot (OTT): Looked pretty good against the USA. Poised and and made smart plays. Looked terrible against Denmark; failed to use his skating or length to his advantage. Still excited about this player because he has great tools. Needs to work (HARD) on his shot. It's bad. Other work needed too to reach his potential. Most notably upper body strength.

Dylan Strome (ARI): Has looked good in both games. He needs to fill out to be good t the NHL level but I've liked his game and the decisions he makes. I never though he had top line potential at the NHL level but I think i might end up being wrong. His frame concerns me a little. Looks narrow and shallow but he's going to be pretty damn good. Makes some "junior" plays but I can see him translating well to the NHL

Mitch Marner (TOR): Performed well in both games. Created chances galore against Denmark. I loved Marner as a prospect until the last two games, and I still do, but I'm starting to see that he needs work. Nothing new for a recent pick, I just thought he was on the Eichel/McDavid level. I was wrong. A lot of what he does is on the junior level. Backhands don't fool pros like they do juniors. Just looking away won't fool top 4 defenders in the NHL. He also needs to become more explosive; I think that'll come with more strength. Some things that he does just can't be taught though. He made a play at the half boards that would have kept any NHL powerplay alive. It was so polished as a move. With more quickness that could be even more deadly. He also has NHL ++++ vision. You can't teach what Marner has. He sees the open man and once he learns to get the puck to that guy in a less lazy/junior way he could be a first line player who runs his line. Huge upside if he gets more explosive. Most fun player to watch on Team Canada.

Matt Barzal (NYI): Has looked really good. I question his ability to not be a perimeter player in the NHL. If he can get by that then I see him being a solid top2 C in the NHL. His decision making and puck delivery is ahead of Marner and probably Strome, IMO.

Jake Virtanen (VAN): So many strong points. Powerful stride, great release, solid balance and a pretty decent defensive awareness IMO. The tools are there, I just don't think the toolbox has caught up yet. He reminds me a lot of Zibanejad on Ottawa. Jaw drapping talent on some shifts and just doesn't always deliver because they don't know how to use their talent. He'll be an NHL top 6er almost for sure. If his brain catches up he'll be a first liner. If not, he'll be a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some notes on Team Canada players I've been curious about because of their prospect status.

Thomas Chabot (OTT): Looked pretty good against the USA. Poised and and made smart plays. Looked terrible against Denmark; failed to use his skating or length to his advantage. Still excited about this player because he has great tools. Needs to work (HARD) on his shot. It's bad. Other work needed too to reach his potential. Most notably upper body strength.

Dylan Strome (ARI): Has looked good in both games. He needs to fill out to be good t the NHL level but I've liked his game and the decisions he makes. I never though he had top line potential at the NHL level but I think i might end up being wrong. His frame concerns me a little. Looks narrow and shallow but he's going to be pretty damn good. Makes some "junior" plays but I can see him translating well to the NHL

Mitch Marner (TOR): Performed well in both games. Created chances galore against Denmark. I loved Marner as a prospect until the last two games, and I still do, but I'm starting to see that he needs work. Nothing new for a recent pick, I just thought he was on the Eichel/McDavid level. I was wrong. A lot of what he does is on the junior level. Backhands don't fool pros like they do juniors. Just looking away won't fool top 4 defenders in the NHL. He also needs to become more explosive; I think that'll come with more strength. Some things that he does just can't be taught though. He made a play at the half boards that would have kept any NHL powerplay alive. It was so polished as a move. With more quickness that could be even more deadly. He also has NHL ++++ vision. You can't teach what Marner has. He sees the open man and once he learns to get the puck to that guy in a less lazy/junior way he could be a first line player who runs his line. Huge upside if he gets more explosive. Most fun player to watch on Team Canada.

Matt Barzal (NYI): Has looked really good. I question his ability to not be a perimeter player in the NHL. If he can get by that then I see him being a solid top2 C in the NHL. His decision making and puck delivery is ahead of Marner and probably Strome, IMO.

Jake Virtanen (VAN): So many strong points. Powerful stride, great release, solid balance and a pretty decent defensive awareness IMO. The tools are there, I just don't think the toolbox has caught up yet. He reminds me a lot of Zibanejad on Ottawa. Jaw drapping talent on some shifts and just doesn't always deliver because they don't know how to use their talent. He'll be an NHL top 6er almost for sure. If his brain catches up he'll be a first liner. If not, he'll be a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Thanks for posting. Not seeing the games (seriously, who works between Christmas and New Years?) so appreciate the observations.