• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which Team Won The Big 4-Team Trade?

Which Team Won This Trade?

• Houston Rockets

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Brooklyn Nets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Indiana Pacers

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Cleveland Cavaliers

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brooklyn Nets
- Receives James Harden from Houston
- Gives up Rodions Kurucs, Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince, Caris Levers, 3 Unprotected 1st round picks (2022, 2024 and 2026) and 4 Unprotected 1st round pick swaps from Houston (2021, 2023, 2025 and 2027)

Houston Rockets:
- Received Victor Oladipo from Indiana, Rodions Kurucs from Brooklyn, Dante Exum from Cleveland, 3 Unprotected 1st round picks from Brooklyn (2022, 2024, 2026), 1 Unprotected 1st round pick from Milwaukee (2022) and 4 Unprotected 1st round pick swaps from Brooklyn (2021, 2023, 2025, 2027)
- Gives up James Harden, 4 Unprotected 1st round pick swaps from Brooklyn (2021, 2023, 2025 and 2027) and a 2nd round pick (2023)

Cleveland Cavaliers:
- Received Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince from Brooklyn
- Gives up Dante Exum

Indiana Pacers:
- Received Caris Levert from Brooklyn and a 2nd round pick from Houston (2023)
- Gives up Victor Oladipo

Key Notes:
- Victor Oladipo becomes a free agent after this year
- Brooklyn might not have a 1st round draft pick until 2028

Who won this trade?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rockets got a shit ton of picks and swaps.....a Sam Presti like haul.....

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Brooklyn might be the biggest loser in the trade and they get the best player

it’s a good haul.

not sure how Indy gets Houston’s 2023 first, I thought Boston owns that via their trade with Memphis for the 30th pick in this years draft

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus Oladipo gives them a solid lineup of

Wall
Oladipo
Gordon
Wood
Tucker

Plus a decent bench of Cousins, House, Exum, and McLemore.

They can compete for a 7-8 seed and plan for the future with those picks/swaps.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Oladipo doesn't fit in let him walk and they have cap space.....if he does bring him back since he's a FA.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By 2023-2024 those Houston 1st rounders could be really good if the Nets blow up or have a very short run.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus Oladipo gives them a solid lineup of

Wall
Oladipo
Gordon
Wood
Tucker

Plus a decent bench of Cousins, House, Exum, and McLemore.

They can compete for a 7-8 seed and plan for the future with those picks/swaps.
Decent but nothing special especially in the west

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decent but nothing special especially in the west
Nothing special but still a playoff team. Albeit a 7-8 seed at best and a first round exit from the playoffs.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Brooklyn doesn't win a title here in the next year or two, doesn't this trade just burn like a bitch? You're essentially giving up your future to win now and what if you don't win now? So in my opinion, if Brooklyn doesn't win an NBA title here in the next 2 years, this trade will go down as one of the worst trades in recent memory.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Pacers
2) Cavs
3) Rockets
4) Brooklyn

I'm biased and a big fan of Levert (wish Mecca was here to discuss this) but I think they got a steal in getting him and letting go of Oladipo who was set to be a free agent. They have 2 more years of team control at a really reasonable contract with Levert which gives them flexibility. They have the lowest risk of any of the three teams with their trade.

Cavs got Jarrett Allen for basically a late 1st round pick. That's great value, imo.

Rockets got a ton of picks, so it's harder to grade. Depending on how Brooklyn does, they could be the winners here. Because Oladipo is expiring, he could walk meaning that their overall haul for trading Harden could amount to simply draft picks. Tough to grade them out higher, but they have the highest ceiling.

Brooklyn got by far the best player in this trade. But they added a combustible piece to an already volatile situation. In the short term, on paper, they have the most talented team. But they added more offense to a team with plenty and didn't do anything to address defense. On top of that you have Kyrie who doesn't know what he wants, KD who has an opt out in another year, and Harden who wants an offense that is catered to him having the ball and it makes for a potentially messy situation. But the biggest reason they got the down grade is because they traded away nearly a decade worth of picks. If this doesn't pan out and in another year the entire team blows up, this could set their franchise back for 10 years. Just look what happened to them after they completed that trade with Paul Pierce and KG.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In reality, the Celtics trade only set them back 3 years, at W-L wise.

By year 4 they were back in the playoffs and by year 6, a title contender again ... at least on paper. A lot of teams did worse.

I think that's one of the reasons they were so willing to trade the picks again.

I think people have to remember that Harden wanted out and wanted to go to Brooklyn and without those things, the trade wouldn't have been possible in the 1st place.

The idea with the Celts trade was not just to win but get new fans and fill the butts of the seats/and inspire TV fans with Brooklynites. That part miserably failed.

I think they will do better this time with that.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pacers were the clear winners to me. They got a really nice young player for a player who was going to leave them this summer.

The rest will all depend on how well Kyrie and Harden can coexist in Brooklyn and how those picks turn out. Way too much uncertainty to grade Houston and Brooklyn’s returns today because both are based on the picks.

Cleveland is also a winner in landing Jarrett Allen for basically nothing.

Houston would have been a lot better off keeping Allen and LeVert.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pacers, though you could make a good case for Cleveland for getting two good rotation players for almost nothing (that Mil pick is gonna be late 1st round)

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say who "won" at this point. We likely won't know who truly won for a few years. I think all of these teams GM's can go to their owners and fan bases right now and make a case that they "won" the trade.

Nets: They put together the "super team" they wanted. There's no in between for them, if they get a title, then they won the trade. If they don't, it's an epic fail that will likely take them longer to recover from than when they traded for all those 175 year old Celtics.

Pacers: They are the "trade day" winners because they basically moved a very good player who was unlikely to re-sign with them, for a younger version of that player.

Cavs: They also have a case to be the "trade day" winners because they got another solid young core piece for a late 1st round pick.

Rockets: That was a big haul and they are still left with a competitive team that should be in the 6-8 range for the playoffs. How they did will be determined by whatever they do with all of those assets.

Reactions: DJ

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pacers were the clear winners to me. They got a really nice young player for a player who was going to leave them this summer.

The rest will all depend on how well Kyrie and Harden can coexist in Brooklyn and how those picks turn out. Way too much uncertainty to grade Houston and Brooklyn’s returns today because both are based on the picks.

you mean keep Allen and trade wood?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you mean keep Allen and trade wood?

No, I mean keep them both.

Allen is a role player. Wood looks like a fringe all star type.

They are both young. Wood can play 4 and 5 offensively (not sure about defense) no reason you can’t have both.

And if they are going to trade Allen and LeVert, they needed to get a lot more value back.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing special but still a playoff team. Albeit a 7-8 seed at best and a first round exit from the playoffs.

So, not too different from where Houston was before the trade, plus a bunch of draft picks.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I more or less agree. Brooklyn got the guy they wanted and everyone else did well. Houston could've done better with Allen and LeVert, but it depends on how Oladipo works out, if he stays and how expensive he is to keep. That cap space may end up more valuable than either Oladipo or LeVert, depending on how Houston would look to spend it. There's not much at the top of next year's free agency list (unless Kawhi opts out to leave); most are on the decline or limited overall as players. The RFA market is a bit uninspiring as well. Oladipo might be the best FA option close to his prime this summer.