• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which NBA conspiracy theories do you believe in?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a topic like this on Twitter a few years ago and thought I would see what people think. You don't need to have actual proof, just a belief that some of these wild theories may be true.

Here are some of mine:

* Jordan "retired" and went to play baseball because he was caught gambling on basketball.

* The refs fixed that controversial Kings-Lakers series where the Kings got hosed back in the day.

* The Ewing lottery envelope was frozen.

maxresdefault.jpg

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe all 3 of those. The 2nd has pretty well been confirmed. Worst officiating i have ever seen

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jordan one for sure.

His retirement was actually a suspension but to officially acknowledge Jordan's gambling and suspend him for it would have killed the NBA.

So a closed-door mutual agreement was met where he would be suspended but they would officially say he retired to save face.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at the envelope thing tho. Just look away David. Goodness

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even think refs fixing games is a "conspiracy theory" anymore.

They had a ref go to jail for consorting with gamblers.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2011 NBA Draft where the Cavs won the Lottery right after Lebron left.

Also an additional 2 times they won the lottery before he decided to come back.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest conspiracy theory ever is when the Warriors won the #1 overall pick with their own pick and then got the 4th pick from the Minnesota Timberwolves in the 2021 NBA Draft.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

There's an old saying: "Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead".

I don't believe any of the conspiracy theories.

In order to pull off any of the above conspiracies, far too many people would have to be in on it. Sooner or later, some disgruntled employee, or someone looking to make a few bucks would be talking about it. Or someone would have told a friend or family member.

Point is, if any of these were true, someone, somewhere would have come forward with some kind of evidence...an e-mail, a recording, something...

The NBA would literally be putting hundreds of millions of dollars at stake by trying something like that.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a topic like this on Twitter a few years ago and thought I would see what people think. You don't need to have actual proof, just a belief that some of these wild theories may be true.

Here are some of mine:

* Jordan "retired" and went to play baseball because he was caught gambling on basketball.

* The refs fixed that controversial Kings-Lakers series where the Kings got hosed back in the day.

maxresdefault.jpg
The Lakers must always be allowed to be good.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then perhaps you'd like to explain 2013-'14 through 2018-'19 to everyone.

Or were you just looking to outstupid yourself?
Monty's trolls haven't been working lately so he has to get more and more ridiculous to try to get a reaction.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then perhaps you'd like to explain 2013-'14 through 2018-'19 to everyone.

Or were you just looking to outstupid yourself?
Just as foolish as ever I see. the NBA sanctioned trade of Jabbar, when he was untradeable, Getting Ervin Johnson after finishing first, getting James Worthy after finishing first. Getting the best player in the game, Wilt Chamberlain when there wasn't a chance he'd be traded. And the capper is they gave up no one to get these guys. Stupid is as stupid does they say and you sure fit the bill.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as foolish as ever I see. the NBA sanctioned trade of Jabbar, when he was untradeable,

This is wrong. He went privately to the Bucks and requested a trade to either the Knicks, Bullets or Lakers. The Lakers gave up so much to get him that they were actually projected to finish near the bottom of the Pacific Division standings after the trade. I specifically remember this because Elmore "The Rejector" Smith was my favorite Laker and was part of the trade. Also, I was still mad at Kareem because he led the Bucks team that ended the Lakers 33 game win streak in 1972. So I was pissed about that trade. lol

Getting Ervin Johnson after finishing first,

The pick was the result of an earlier trade with the New Orleans Jazz and the Jazz sucked at the right time. Or did the league tank the Jazz to help the Lakers?

getting James Worthy after finishing first.

The Lakers received the Cleveland Cavaliers 1st round pick from a 1979 exchange for forward Don Ford.

So, both were part of earlier trades (I believe Worthy's had more to do with an expansion draft) in which the Lakers were compensated just as any other team would have been. Not all that different from the Warriors having the cap space to add another superstar to a championship team just when Kevin Durant became a free agent because earlier injuries delayed Steph getting his huge deal.

By your stupidity, the league must have also timed the Celtics sucking so that it lined up with Larry Bird being available so that the league could revive the Lakers/Celtics rivalry.

Making sure the Lakers are good must also be why they allowed the Celtics to beat them what? 9 times in the finals?

So please, tell us all again how the league makes sure the Lakers are good.

Last edited:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is wrong. He went privately to the Bucks and requested a trade to either the Knicks, Bullets or Lakers. The Lakers gave up so much to get him that they were actually projected to finish near the bottom of the Pacific Division standings after the trade.

The pick was the result of an earlier trade with the New Orleans Jazz and the Jazz sucked at the right time. Or did the league tank the Jazz to help the Lakers?

The Lakers received the Cleveland Cavaliers 1st round pick from a 1979 exchange for forward Don Ford.

So, both were part of earlier trades (I believe Worthy's had more to do with an expansion draft) in which the Lakers were compensated just as any other team would have been. Not all that different from the Warriors having the cap space to add another superstar to a championship team just when Kevin Durant became a free agent because earlier injuries delayed Steph getting his huge deal.

By your stupidity, the league must have also timed the Celtics sucking so that it lined up with Larry Bird being available so that the league could revive the Lakers/Celtics rivalry.

Making sure the Lakers are good must also be why they allowed the Celtics to beat them what? 9 times in the finals?

So please, tell us all again how the league makes sure the Lakers are good.
And his examples are like 40-50 years old. Just the usual clown shoes with that guy.

Hell you didn't even mention the league blocking Chris Paul to the Lakers, which is the opposite of his "thesis".

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here are some of mine:

maxresdefault.jpg
All 3 of those

although game 7 in 2010 was far worse than that lakers/kings game.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And his examples are like 40-50 years old. Just the usual clown shoes with that guy.

Hell you didn't even mention the league blocking Chris Paul to the Lakers, which is the opposite of his "thesis".

lol

I'd love to hear his "lawjik" on that one.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest conspiracy theory ever is when the Warriors won the #1 overall pick with their own pick and then got the 4th pick from the Minnesota Timberwolves in the 2021 NBA Draft.

i kinda wanna see that now to watch NBA Twitter burn….

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2011 NBA Draft where the Cavs won the Lottery right after Lebron left.

Also an additional 2 times they won the lottery before he decided to come back.
And how New Orleans won the lotto twice after losing top guys who forced their way out, including one literally months after getting a new owner….