• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which fairly successful coaches have the most to lose in 2021?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to include guys like Jim Harbaugh, as he really isn't fairly successful (I'm not sure what competitive program would consider zero wins against your main rival, and few wins against other rivals as anywhere near successful)

What coaches, that have had some good success in a top 30 program the past few years, are on the edge of having everything turn sour on them? By the way, I'm not predicting ANY of them get fired, just observing that people may begin turning on them if they fail to improve next season.

Off the top of my head:

Kirby Smart (Georgia) - He is averaging 10 wins a season and has won an SEC championship and even won a playoff game at UGA, but three straight seasons without an SEC championship and a playoff spot has him on the edge in a place like Athens that has HIGH expectations (they fired Richt after 145 wins in 15 seasons...although I think it was the right move). If Smart were to come out and lose 2 or more games next season, and especially if they lost to Florida again, I could see his rear end getting very hot in 2022. Opening up with Clemson could cool things off or heat things up right out of the gate for Kirby in 2021.

Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma) - 45 wins in 4 seasons is quite impressive. 0-3 in the playoffs, while losing the last two playoff games by a combined 46 points, is definitely a black eye so far. He often loses a bad game in conference each year, but usually still finds his way into the playoffs. This upcoming season they look pretty deep. If he comes out and craps the bed again, or gets blown out in a playoff game, he could see his rear end warming up. Their only tough OOC game could be Nebraska, but they haven't looked very intimidating in a while.

James Franklin (Penn St) - Franklin had a 4 year run where he won 42 games at PSU, but never managed to win the conference or get a playoff spot. Last year was a rough year, but I think they have a lot of upperclassmen returning (I'm pretty sure their QB will be back). They are on the road at Wisconsin (weird to open up with a conference game), and then host Auburn in the first 3 games of the 2021 season. If they lose both, and one or both are not real competitive, I could see his rear on fire to start the 2022 season.

Who am I missing here?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* I forgot that Franklin won a B10 title

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to include guys like Jim Harbaugh, as he really isn't fairly successful (I'm not sure what competitive program would consider zero wins against your main rival, and few wins against other rivals as anywhere near successful)

What coaches, that have had some good success in a top 30 program the past few years, are on the edge of having everything turn sour on them? By the way, I'm not predicting ANY of them get fired, just observing that people may begin turning on them if they fail to improve next season.

Off the top of my head:

Kirby Smart (Georgia) - He is averaging 10 wins a season and has won an SEC championship and even won a playoff game at UGA, but three straight seasons without an SEC championship and a playoff spot has him on the edge in a place like Athens that has HIGH expectations (they fired Richt after 145 wins in 15 seasons...although I think it was the right move). If Smart were to come out and lose 2 or more games next season, and especially if they lost to Florida again, I could see his rear end getting very hot in 2022. Opening up with Clemson could cool things off or heat things up right out of the gate for Kirby in 2021.

Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma) - 45 wins in 4 seasons is quite impressive. 0-3 in the playoffs, while losing the last two playoff games by a combined 46 points, is definitely a black eye so far. He often loses a bad game in conference each year, but usually still finds his way into the playoffs. This upcoming season they look pretty deep. If he comes out and craps the bed again, or gets blown out in a playoff game, he could see his rear end warming up. Their only tough OOC game could be Nebraska, but they haven't looked very intimidating in a while.

James Franklin (Penn St) - Franklin had a 4 year run where he won 42 games at PSU, but never managed to win the conference or get a playoff spot. Last year was a rough year, but I think they have a lot of upperclassmen returning (I'm pretty sure their QB will be back). They are on the road at Wisconsin (weird to open up with a conference game), and then host Auburn in the first 3 games of the 2021 season. If they lose both, and one or both are not real competitive, I could see his rear on fire to start the 2022 season.

Who am I missing here?
Per your guidelines...I would think that Jimbo Fisher falls into that category. he has to break in a new QB next year. Unless he has
a Jameis Winston hiding somewhere, his playbook can never be fully used in a QB's first season because of how detailed that
book is. I believe he had 3 losses his first year, then four his second before losing only once this year. He drops back to 3 losses
next season, I would think TAM folks would start questioning that 75 million.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per your guidelines...I would think that Jimbo Fisher falls into that category. he has to break in a new QB next year. Unless he has
a Jameis Winston hiding somewhere, his playbook can never be fully used in a QB's first season because of how detailed that
book is. I believe he had 3 losses his first year, then four his second before losing only once this year. He drops back to 3 losses
next season, I would think TAM folks would start questioning that 75 million.
Nobody is questioning Jimbo in Aggieland.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is questioning Jimbo in Aggieland.

Yeah, I don't see Jimbo being in trouble, unless he has an absolute drop off next year (isn't bowl eligible). Even then, I think it would take two seasons of bad football (4+ losses) for him to start feeling the heat in his back end. He has a lot of grace playing in the SEC West, with back to back national titles coming from that side of the conference and with them just having a remarkable season.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley has OU’s best shot at a NC this coming season. The defense has reached “good” status and Rattler now is a veteran. Add in Bama, CU, and tOSU breaking in new QBs (as well as Bama losing a lot on the offensive side plus Surtain and Barmore) and you have a real opening for the Sooners.

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Off the top of my head:

Who am I missing here?

I do not see Riley getting warm this year ( barring shitting the bed with a five loss season). He has had to totally rebuild a defense. Sooner fans understand this fact. Sooner fans are patient and really do like Lincoln Riley.

Kirby Smart on the other hand... I live in Georgia and have already heard rumblings from my Georgia fan friends and comparisons to Mark Richt. They have been closer to a Natty than Oklahoma and it has been longer for Georgia since they had one. If Kirby does not get an offense rolling they will be very unhappy.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not see Riley getting warm this year ( barring shitting the bed with a five loss season). He has had to totally rebuild a defense. Sooner fans understand this fact. Sooner fans are patient and really do like Lincoln Riley.

Kirby Smart on the other hand... I live in Georgia and have already heard rumblings from my Georgia fan friends. If he does not
Kirby pulls a top 5 recruiting class each year, plus UGA fans are really hungry since the near miss in 17. No doubt the expectations are out the roof.

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirby pulls a top 5 recruiting class each year, plus UGA fans are really hungry since the near miss in 17. No doubt the expectations are out the roof.
Yea I accidentally hit post before I was done, had to edit to finish.

I would add that in general Georgia fans seem a bit more rabid than Oklahoma fans.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I accidentally hit post before I was done, had to edit to finish.

I would add that in general Georgia fans seem a bit more rabid than Oklahoma fans.
Kirby took the blueprint from Bama’s NC teams just as Saban was transitioning away from the purer pro-style of those teams. I joked that in 2017, UGA looked more like Bama than Bama did.

Saban came to terms with the fact that defenses are at a major disadvantage in today’s game, and changed. Kirby needs to do the same. Saban’s (like Bryant’s) best attribute is adaptability. Time will tell if Kirby will be similar. No doubt he has and will get the players to compete with anybody.

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley has OU’s best shot at a NC this coming season. The defense has reached “good” status and Rattler now is a veteran. Add in Bama, CU, and tOSU breaking in new QBs (as well as Bama losing a lot on the offensive side plus Surtain and Barmore) and you have a real opening for the Sooners.

I agree but, the caveat to that is that some of their offensive talent hit the transfer portal and the defense took a big hit with Perkins and Brown declaring for the draft (which was expected but, still hurt). Thankfully Winfrey and Bonito decided to come back. I would say we have a decent shot. Some stumbling blocks are that we have to get over that Kansas State hump, Iowa State has a lot coming back, one of our QBs transferred to TCU and the big question mark of Sark at Tejas.

I do mot think Bama has to worry though, they just reload not rebuild and barring Saban pulling a Stoops and just retiring out of the blue, Bama will be fine and in the mix.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but, the caveat to that is that some of their offensive talent hit the transfer portal and the defense took a big hit with Perkins and Brown declaring for the draft (which was expected but, still hurt). Thankfully Winfrey and Bonito decided to come back. I would say we have a decent shot. Some stumbling blocks are that we have to get over that Kansas State hump, Iowa State has a lot coming back, one of our QBs transferred to TCU and the big question mark of Sark at Tejas.

I do mot think Bama has to worry though, they just reload not rebuild and barring Saban pulling a Stoops and just retiring out of the blue, Bama will be fine and in the mix.
I really like the way this OU team finished. You could tell thry played with a fire against UF. And just getting Grinch was proof Riley was not going to sit idly and just live with a subpar defense.

You’re right that Bama will be fine. This might be Saban’s best new recruiting class (which is hard to believe), and Young certainly has the skill set to be a top level QB. (He just hasn’t had the opportunity to showcase much of it so far). The OL will take some hits, and given it’s a unit so dependent on chemistry I cannot simply assume it will be a seamless transition. The defense should be better, though. It was a young unit this year.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kirby Smart on the other hand... I live in Georgia and have already heard rumblings from my Georgia fan friends and comparisons to Mark Richt. They have been closer to a Natty than Oklahoma and it has been longer for Georgia since they had one. If Kirby does not get an offense rolling they will be very unhappy.

OU's defense certainly seems like it's improved too. They finished 29th in the country in points per game, their best since 2015 (also 29th). They gave up 5.2 yards per play (Alabama gave up 5.0 for reference). They held up pretty well against a potent Florida offense (only 20 points, 521 yards but Florida had their lowest yards per play of the season at 6.2). They also held Texas to just 4.9 yards per play and a mere 5.4 yards per pass attempt.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do you rebuild something that has mostly been absent for the last several years? At any rate, I don't see Oklahoma fans getting too itchy unless the Sooners lose more than two games prior to the postseason.

I can see Georgia fans starting to squawk; and I can see Florida fans getting pretty irritable after the Gators nosedived against LSU & Oklahoma.

therealsportsguru

owner of geatathebookie.com
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they aren't successful but they have names tied to success. Herm Edwards and Lane Kiffin could both have to have better seasons. Oh I can't forget Mike Norvell. Him and Randy Shannon one bad game away from having their houses burned to the ground by the Tallahassee natives.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they aren't successful but they have names tied to success. Herm Edwards and Lane Kiffin could both have to have better seasons. Oh I can't forget Mike Norvell. Him and Randy Shannon one bad game away from having their houses burned to the ground by the Tallahassee natives.
I'm pretty sure there's going to be more than one bad game in Tallahassee before Mike Norvell gets that team turned around.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to find him a quarter back first.
I think I'll disagree. He needs physical, tall receivers. These 5-10 folks don't give him what he needs. His offense is geared
to run the football. I think we were 4th or something in the league last year with a slightly improved OL at 199 yards per game.

Taller, physical receivers on the outside will force defenses to loosen a bit which will open up the running game even more. They
will also open up the short routes to the TE's. We cannot continue to allow defenses to play us straight up.