• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Whether they stay or leave.....

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Instead of clicking on the link, highlight it and copy it. Then paste it directly into a new browser.

OR, if you are smart enough to use Firefox, you can highlight the selected text, right-click on the highlight and use the "Open link in new tab" setting.

Technology is your friend. Embrace it.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good find Filo. Although for the record...they'll be better if they stayed.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank god for last years championship though. It helps that they popped their championship cherry with this organization, it endears them to it more than before. I would love for both of them to stick with the Giants the rest of their careers.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thank god for last years championship though. It helps that they popped their championship cherry with this organization, it endears them to it more than before. I would love for both of them to stick with the Giants the rest of their careers.

Worst case scenario, we trade them for a kings ransom.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Or Sabes lets them walk for nothing instead, ala Schmidt.

We got a comp pick for Schmidt, right?

I pray that doesn't happen, but If we're so out of it that trading Cain or Tim in their walk years is a possibility, then we should do it. Granted, thats only if they are unwilling to negotiate till the off season.

jimsan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Or Sabes lets them walk for nothing instead, ala Schmidt.

That seemed a strange decision at the time but in hindsight turned out very well for the Giants. I think Schmidt made a total of 10 starts and won 3 games in the three seasons the Dodgers were paying him that huge salary. Better that he struggled with them than with the Giants.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I pray that doesn't happen, but If we're so out of it that trading Cain or Tim in their walk years is a possibility, then we should do it. Granted, thats only if they are unwilling to negotiate till the off season.

I seriously doubt either pitcher will get to a "walk year." Tim is 3 years away, and Matt is 2 years until FA. I'd be both are signed to 4-5 year deals in the next year or two.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea, he turned into Franchez.

The point being, it was pretty clear he was not going to stay with the Giants, and he was still a STUD pitcher who probably could have returned more than the #27 pick in the draft. Just because 20/20 leads us on a path to a solid contributor to the ring does not change that fact.

On the flip side, maybe Sabes DID work the phones something fierce, but was not able to get a prospect that he liked better than a 1st rounder / chance to renegotiate with him. That is certainly possible. He also may have been blocked from selling by PM, fearing lost gate.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously doubt either pitcher will get to a "walk year." Tim is 3 years away, and Matt is 2 years until FA. I'd be both are signed to 4-5 year deals in the next year or two.

I agree with this 100%.

The numbers line up perfectly for these two to be signed long term.

We MAY lose one, just so money is left over for Posey / Panda / Belt / Bum / etc, but it will be the G's decision, and I believe the one that does not stay will be dealt for a monster package.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree with this 100%.

The numbers line up perfectly for these two to be signed long term.

We MAY lose one, just so money is left over for Posey / Panda / Belt / Bum / etc, but it will be the G's decision, and I believe the one that does not stay will be dealt for a monster package.

Agreed.

I just dont see the FO locking up 1/4 of the payroll in two players (ala RoRo and Ziblow). It would suck to see either go, but we have to get good, cheap players of need somehow.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that the Giants will look into signing Lincecum, Cain, Sandoval and Wilson long term this offseason and eventually Posey, MadBum and Belt. Then they fill around that core of players will young guys and cheap vets. They will be able to keep everyone IMO, they will be able to raise payroll and will loose Rowand/Zito soon enough.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I believe that the Giants will look into signing Lincecum, Cain, Sandoval and Wilson long term this offseason and eventually Posey, MadBum and Belt. Then they fill around that core of players will young guys and cheap vets. They will be able to keep everyone IMO, they will be able to raise payroll and will loose Rowand/Zito soon enough.

If Hembree can prove that he has what it take to close by 2013, then Wilson is gone imo.

His trade value > his actual performance.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

I just dont see the FO locking up 1/4 of the payroll in two players (ala RoRo and Ziblow). It would suck to see either go, but we have to get good, cheap players of need somehow.

I actually think they might be able to make it work, but let's say not. Which of the two would you rather see dealt?

It's such a sophie's choice but I might have to lean towards dealing Tim...he seems less durable long term than Cain. But what do I know...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hembree can prove that he has what it take to close by 2013, then Wilson is gone imo.

His trade value > his actual performance.

But perhaps his marketing/PR value + performance > trade value?

That said, definitely a possibility.

What if you could only keep 2 of Tim, Matt, or Beard, for money reasons? You'd have to let Beard go in that case, wouldn't you?

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I actually think they might be able to make it work, but let's say not. Which of the two would you rather see dealt?

It's such a sophie's choice but I might have to lean towards dealing Tim...he seems less durable long term than Cain. But what do I know...

Tim, for sure.

Like you said, durability is an issue. And, while he has gained some of his FB velocity back, it's still not the 96-97 heaters he was pumping 08/09.

Cain just seem like the safer bet to continue to be a bulldog out there, and maybe it's just me, but Lincecum seems like he would get the better return on prospects.