• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where does Bum rank?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLBtv just did a top 100 players in the game, and Bum ended up at #28. Fair enough.

However, every time a pitcher was named higher, they posed the question, "For 2015, would you take this guy over Bum?" Bill Ripken "took" Bum over Hernandez, essentially saying Bum was his #2 pitcher. Ripken said Bum needed to repeat his '14 heroics in '15 to top Kershaw next year, though.

If you are drafting pitchers for 2015 only, how many guys do you take before you take Bum?

I think Kershaw and Hernadez are the only no-brainers. But Sale, Greinke, Fernandez, Scherzer, Cueto are all in the discussion as well. Kluber and Weinwright, were both ranked ahead of Bum, but I don't think either should be (for 2015 only).

Anyone else belong on the short list? Where would you take him?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where was Posey? Was Pence on the list?

The question is also: Top 100 for what? Last year? Last 5 years? Next year? Next five years? Next game? A seven game series?

If I had to win one game - Bum is my man.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where was Posey? Was Pence on the list?

The question is also: Top 100 for what? Last year? Last 5 years? Next year? Next five years? Next game? A seven game series?

If I had to win one game - Bum is my man.
Bum over King and Kershaw? With the same manager and same bully? I am not sure I subscribe to that opinion...

Posey was #9 and Pence was something like 48. Sandoval was 98...

I think the criteria was 2015, so more weight was given to 2014 performances.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bum over King and Kershaw? With the same manager and same bully? I am not sure I subscribe to that opinion...

Posey was #9 and Pence was something like 48. Sandoval was 98...

I think the criteria was 2015, so more weight was given to 2014 performances.

For one big game, yes, absolutely. Bum has proven he can deliver. Kershaw got ROCKED when it counted. Felix doesn't know what a big game even is.

Big games are a whole different animal than a game in mid June against mediocre teams who don't give a shyte.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For one big game, yes, absolutely. Bum has proven he can deliver. Kershaw got ROCKED when it counted. Felix doesn't know what a big game even is.

Big games are a whole different animal than a game in mid June against mediocre teams who don't give a shyte.
Cant argue against the issue with Hernandez. He pitches in baseball Siberia and has never been in a do-or-die game. But he has been amazingly lights-out since Timmeh came on the scene, but he has remained. I think he qualifies, quite securely, as the #2 pitcher in the game. He would certainly be my #2 pick.

Kershaw got rocked in the 7th inning, after he started showing he should have been relieved. The problem came from a manager who didn't have the balls to take out his stud (for the record, I think Williams made the right call) compounded with the fact that said manager had no one in the bully who could have done better. Granted, Kershaw did not get the job done. But he was setup for failure.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant argue against the issue with Hernandez. He pitches in baseball Siberia and has never been in a do-or-die game. But he has been amazingly lights-out since Timmeh came on the scene, but he has remained. I think he qualifies, quite securely, as the #2 pitcher in the game. He would certainly be my #2 pick.

Kershaw got rocked in the 7th inning, after he started showing he should have been relieved. The problem came from a manager who didn't have the balls to take out his stud (for the record, I think Williams made the right call) compounded with the fact that said manager had no one in the bully who could have done better. Granted, Kershaw did not get the job done. But he was setup for failure.

Adversity doesn't build character - it reveals it.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Hernandez or Kershaw on our team.

But the WS numbers are overwhelming: W-L 4-0, 36 IP, 14 H, 5 BB, 31 K, 1 ER. That's a 0.25 ERA in the biggest games on the planet. Partisanship aside, just objectively, you'd be insane to pitch anyone else in a must-win game for all the marbles.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a one-game situation, you have a point. Bum 1, Kersaw 2. But the question stands...

How many pitchers do you take before you take Bum to start your team?

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think some people realize what last year did for Bum's confidence. He was always confident but that guy can freaking bend steel with his mouth right now. He oozes BAD ASS and he will carry that forever. He took on everyone in KC that night in Game 7 ..and announced his authority. That walk in from the left field bullpen was Clint taking down a gang of outlaws in a Old West showdown. Bum is the baddest dude on the block right now and dares someone to whip his ass. His career is about to explode with greatness. Look out.

Go Giants !!

:suds::suds::suds:

6 freaking beers at once. Awesome.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a one post scenario, I'd take BoB. Dude packs his elunch every day and is a gamer. If I met him on the street, I'd tip my cap and shake his hand.

Bunnies are furry.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A very very difficult question indeed. Some athletes just shine when you put them on the big stage. Bum seems to be one of them. In 2014 in thw WS he was dominant. He was given the stage and took control. Panda is a similar player. Give him the stage and he does produce. He's been real good in WS play.

But for Bum this is all based on his 2014 WS showing. It is deserved. But .... just 6 short years ago .... a certain Mister Lincecum was my pick in a 'one game' scenario .... not so much any more .... time has a way of altering a 'sure thing' .....

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A very very difficult question indeed. Some athletes just shine when you put them on the big stage. Bum seems to be one of them. In 2014 in thw WS he was dominant. He was given the stage and took control. Panda is a similar player. Give him the stage and he does produce. He's been real good in WS play.

But for Bum this is all based on his 2014 WS showing. It is deserved. But .... just 6 short years ago .... a certain Mister Lincecum was my pick in a 'one game' scenario .... not so much any more .... time has a way of altering a 'sure thing' .....

It's also based on his other playoff games, including the one game play-in in 2014, and his showings in 2010 and 2012

Agreed things can change but for now Bum has proven he is perhaps the best active 'big game' pitcher.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if you are starting an MLB pitching staff for 2015 only, who is your FIRST selection? Do you take Bum over Kershaw? Over King? Over Scherzer? Grienke? Fernandez? Cueto?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if you are starting an MLB pitching staff for 2015 only, who is your FIRST selection? Do you take Bum over Kershaw? Over King? Over Scherzer? Grienke? Fernandez? Cueto?

Only Kershaw outranks him IMO. This is because I am assuming that 2015 team I assemble is a playoff team and then I want Bum.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fernandez were not hurt, would he go before Bum?

How about Cueto?
Probably Sale would but he cannot stay healthy and Bumgarner can be counted on each time his turn comes up to be out there.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Age-wise,
If Fernandez were not hurt, would he go before Bum?

How about Cueto?

I can't answer the Fernandez part without being too bias. LOVE Fernandez and when he was healthy he was pitching better than Bumgarner. But MadBum more proven

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Age-wise,

I can't answer the Fernandez part without being too bias. LOVE Fernandez and when he was healthy he was pitching better than Bumgarner. But MadBum more proven
I think that if fair. If he did not blow out his arm, I would not argue anyone who decided to take him over Kershaw (a stretch, but it is defendable). As it is, I think he is not expected back until approx. the ASG, so no way would he be high on this list...

FTR, I think I would take Bum #3...

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Age-wise,

And he can fix the team bus when it breaks down on the way to the stadium.