• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do you get your meat?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that farm went out of business due to local fracking; their water supply was getting poisoned and they were losing lots of their animals due to sickness and stillbirths. They sold out (to the fracking company, eventually) and moved away.

Suck.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butcher shop here only carries choice on a regular basis. Prime is a rarity, but every now and then.

Angus from the local Supermarket other times.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kill my meat 90% of the time. Deer, elk, pheasant, turkey, grouse, fish, etc. I do buy a pork butt from cash and carry when I grind my burger though.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anybody ever tried a food co-op before? I've been thinking about trying one of these in the fall for vegetables and eggs. Tampa, FL - Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food / Pick your Own

We did a CSA for several years but the prices kept creeping up and we eventually had to drop our share. It was great while we were in it; the stuff was good quality and there was a huge variety of vegetables, some of which we had never heard of but really enjoyed.

Our particular CSA also gave out recipes based on the produce, and had a separate fruit share that was really good, but again it got too pricey for us. The last two years, we split a share with another family but were getting so little food after splitting.

Because it was almost entirely volunteer-driven, part of our share also meant we had to help once a month with either delivery, distribution, or cleanup. The pickup was either in a bar/restaurant or at a local community center. But that helped keep some of the costs down, so we didn't mind.

If you can get into one, please do, it's great to support a small, local farm and the produce is amazing.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of sous-vide, there is a thread buried somewhere in this forum where I had a painful conversation with(I cant remember who) about Sous-Vide/reverse searing on a grill. I believe we both finally figured out that we were misunderstanding each others points. lol I still have yet to cook anything Sous Vide but I think I would have to finish a steak on a grill or a skillet once it hits 130 in the water?

I know some of the corporate turn and burn restaurants around here are starting to reheat soups and sauces ala Sous-Vide but that's as far as it goes. They still fuck it all up though because they don't really understand and use the hot water to hold a shifts worth of soup or, for example, cheese sauce(that they claim is Mornay but use American cheese :L) but they set the water temp too high for WAY too long then cant understand why their cream soups/sauces breaks an hour into service.

You do much Sous-Vide cooking and if so, what do you think?

I haven't cooked that way much yet, however the prices on the equipment has come down quite a bit so I'm thinking about picking one up. Can get a whole setup for 200-250 now when it used to be double that price or more...
However I have had some on the eating side and WOW is it good. Perfectly cooked tender meat/fish/eggs etc...

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't cooked that way much yet, however the prices on the equipment has come down quite a bit so I'm thinking about picking one up. Can get a whole setup for 200-250 now when it used to be double that price or more...
However I have had some on the eating side and WOW is it good. Perfectly cooked tender meat/fish/eggs etc...

I appreciate you and Gooch bringing up the sous-vide method.
I have never heard of it until today and have looked it up.

Looks very intriguing. I do believe I will be in the market for a vacuum sealer and a sous vide machine (Amazon?)

Steaks will have to be finished on the grill.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looks very intriguing. I do believe I will be in the market for a vacuum sealer and a sous vide machine (Amazon?)

I'd likely buy it from Amazon. Have been looking at a few different models on there.

Either finishing on the Grill or in a nice hot pan on the cooktop to sear the outside is perfect.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What does the machine do?

I read an article, done by outdoor life if i remember right, that just used a standard vacuum sealer and cooler. They just added hot water as needed to regulate the temperature.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does the machine do?

I read an article, done by outdoor life if i remember right, that just used a standard vacuum sealer and cooler. They just added hot water as needed to regulate the temperature.

The machine is set and forget, no need to monitor and adjust temp.

I will probably try Ziploc's in a cooler first myself. If I like it, I may splurge.
$239 on amazon right now for one model.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its crazy to think of how much control you have cooking this way. I keep trying to think of a way to apply the same technique without the temp limit water brings to the table. I have a personal curse with making caramel glaze and how I am notorious for making inconsistent batches. I am easily distracted is the main issue.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The machine is set and forget, no need to monitor and adjust temp.

I will probably try Ziploc's in a cooler first myself. If I like it, I may splurge.
$239 on amazon right now for one model.

Are you looking at the SousVide Supreme unit? For that price, might want to look at something like the Sansaire circulator...You can buy it, a plastic tub and a top which could/most likely would work better, especially since it seems you've kinda figured out the way to suck the air out and kinda vac seal a bag without needing one, which would cost more :suds:

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its crazy to think of how much control you have cooking this way. I keep trying to think of a way to apply the same technique without the temp limit water brings to the table. I have a personal curse with making caramel glaze and how I am notorious for making inconsistent batches. I am easily distracted is the main issue.

That's the key with this kind of cooking, control. Have you ever seen what it can do with eggs? One degree difference can make a HUGE difference which is REALLY cool!!!

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the key with this kind of cooking, control. Have you ever seen what it can do with eggs? One degree difference can make a HUGE difference which is REALLY cool!!!
No I havent yet. I remember when I learned how to make crème brulee the right way and that taught me how big 1 degree matters when dealing with eggs but Sous Vide I imagine would be the most perfect way to cook an egg? I need to try this real soon I think? Making me hungry! :thumb:

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I havent yet. I remember when I learned how to make crème brulee the right way and that taught me how big 1 degree matters when dealing with eggs but Sous Vide I imagine would be the most perfect way to cook an egg? I need to try this real soon I think? Making me hungry! :thumb:

You are right on, and that's a great way to learn. Why? Desserts are a TOTALLY different animal in cooking. The recipes with a dessert are literally chemistry. You get the proportions wrong, there's NO WAY it will turn out the way you want it to. In cooking, you can make a mistake and cover it up in one way or another...

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not from Donald Trump, nor any of those guys that come by around dark trying to unload some meat cheap that comes from out of state selling it door to door.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to be very picky about the meat I buy. There are quite a few places by me that have good meat(depending on the day and cut).
There's an "upscale" supermarket by me that has some nice stuff. They even had beautiful super fresh pigs feet the other day I was tempted to buy and use somehow, but didn't.
We have an Asian supermarket that is a good second choice who also at times has great stuff at great prices, but you have to be picky about what you choose.

As far as butchers go, we have a couple Kosher butchers here in town. I always thought Kosher meant one thing, but apparently it just really means twice the damn price... One is part of a small Kosher market and they have some beautiful meat, but the prices are quite high. The other Kosher butcher is even more expensive(probably because of the rent where his shop stands)... Last I was there, ribeyes were 32 per pound, that was about 5 years ago. Can't even imagine what it is now, at least that, if not more!!!

You really don't know what Kosher means?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell you one way to make steaks taste better, leave them out at room temp for at least four hours before grilling. I wouldn't go any more than eight hours, though.