• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Immersion circulator and steak

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just go an immersion circulator for Christmas with a searing kit (propane torch with a grill rack to put the meat on) and holy hell was it delicious. Meat was perfect all the way through and the seasoning was able to penetrate through the whole steak. This technique is called the reverse sear.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch:
Is that the same thing as sous vide?

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just go an immersion circulator for Christmas with a searing kit (propane torch with a grill rack to put the meat on) and holy hell was it delicious. Meat was perfect all the way through and the seasoning was able to penetrate through the whole steak. This technique is called the reverse sear.
I have yet to try the reverse sear but hopefully soon. What temp did you cook the steak?

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like sous vide for RE-HEATING meat. Best way to re-heat, say...a piece of prime rib, for example. But it seems like an unnecessary hub bub otherwise?:noidea:

The reason I like are:
1) It's hard to mess up. I know what my meat will be coming out as
2) Seasoning. All the meat gets the seasoning.

The steak I made was like butter. Smooth and soft. It was amazing. And I am great at cooking steak in a cast iron pan and on the grill. With those techniques the meat is not the same doneness all the way through. It varies. With sous vide, the meet is the same doneness from edge to edge.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I like are:

The steak I made was like butter. Smooth and soft. It was amazing. And I am great at cooking steak in a cast iron pan and on the grill. With those techniques the meat is not the same doneness all the way through. It varies. With sous vide, the meet is the same doneness from edge to edge.
Gonna have to try that some day.

Gotta be honest though... it sounds kind of creepy. Perfection is weird.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man. He was using all those fancy technical words.
Hey you said it in French so your words are pretty fancy too! Sous-vide(Under vacuum)

Fancy-Fants-Example1.jpg

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I like are:

It would certainly help with bone-in thick cuts of meat so you don't have to worry about burning the outside before the middle hits temp but the way to do that on a grill is push the coals to 1 side of the grill, use the other side without coals to cook until you almost hit your temp then slap the meat on the hot side to sear.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have yet to try the reverse sear but hopefully soon. What temp did you cook the steak?

It's amazing. I cooked it to 130 F so it was a little on the rare side, but it's safe because you cook it for so long.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna have to try that some day.

Gotta be honest though... it sounds kind of creepy. Perfection is weird.
It is a little weird and basically steaming it in a bag makes it have a weird look when taking it out, but searing takes care of that. Perfection may be weird but it taste amazing

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would certainly help with bone-in thick cuts of meat so you don't have to worry about burning the outside before the middle hits temp but the way to do that on a grill is push the coals to 1 side of the grill, use the other side without coals to cook until you almost hit your temp then slap the meat on the hot side to sear.

I get that, but your steak is still not going to be the same doneness all the way through. There will be a ring around it that will be "well done" or close to it and then will gradually get towards your temp in the middle. Not saying doing it your way is bad, just it won't get you the same doneness all the way through. You can get it close.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that, but your steak is still not going to be the same doneness all the way through. There will be a ring around it that will be "well done" or close to it and then will gradually get towards your temp in the middle. Not saying doing it your way is bad, just it won't get you the same doneness all the way through. You can get it close.
Not if you cook it on the side of the grill without the coals. It works very well as long as them temperature is right but its harder to pull off than sous-vide. Plus no bag.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if you cook it on the side of the grill without the coals. It works very well as long as them temperature is right but its harder to pull off than sous-vide. Plus no bag.
Sorry to tell ya buddy, but that's just no possible unless you cook it for a long time (as in an hour at least) at a low temperature. Like I said, you can get close, but it will not be the same doneness all the way through. The temperature is too high for the steak to cook the same all the way through evenly.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to tell ya buddy, but that's just no possible unless you cook it for a long time (as in an hour at least) at a low temperature. Like I said, you can get close, but it will not be the same doneness all the way through. The temperature is too high for the steak to cook the same all the way through evenly.
Sorry to tell you but I've been a chef for 15 years and you are wrong. Reverse searing using a grill. Cooking time depends on the size and cut of the meat. Temperature control is the key. Cook it at a lower temp on the side of the grill without the coals then sear it once its ready. Its not near as easy as sous-vide but it does work.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to tell you but I've been a chef for 15 years and you are wrong. Reverse searing using a grill. Cooking time depends on the size and cut of the meat. Temperature control is the key. Cook it at a lower temp on the side of the grill without the coals then sear it once its ready. Its not near as easy as sous-vide but it does work.

And I'm telling you that it won't be the exact same doneness all the way through like sous vide will be. You can put it on the lower temp side all you want, but the heat is too high for it to cook thoroughly at the same temp. It can be close, but the temperature is too high for it to cook the same all the way through. I bet if you take a picture of any steak done your way I can easily point out where the steak has different doneness.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what we are talking about here, but intrigued. Will google.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm telling you that it won't be the exact same doneness all the way through like sous vide will be. You can put it on the lower temp side all you want, but the heat is too high for it to cook thoroughly at the same temp. It can be close, but the temperature is too high for it to cook the same all the way through. I bet if you take a picture of any steak done your way I can easily point out where the steak has different doneness.
You can bring the temp of meat up to 130 on a grill without cooking the outside. The heat just wont be as consistent(it will take longer) as circulating water and doing it on the grill causes the surface of the meat to dry which is ideal for searing anyway. If anything is cooking well-done, it would happen during searing if you leave it on too long. Same for sous-vide. Grill vs skillet searing is the next varying result.

Sous-vide is simpler but all I was ever saying was you can reverse sear on a grill and how its done.