• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do we go from here?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What motivates a player to excellence once he's made a ton of money? Just asking this for a friend :D

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that is the question. Apparently it is more money or else players would take ALOT less money to build a winner.

Yeah, I can actually see that, however, as young fellas we are bound by DNA, societal standards, and desire to prove how great we are in comparison to one another. Certainly there are motivators that come along with this competition (girls, reputation, parental approval and/or attention and of course money) but I'm convinced that none of that is in play once the competition is underway. BTW: we see the competitive nature in kids early on but generally, it's most notable around the ages of 5 and 6.

This might be turning into a subject that's best suited for the "Off Topic" or now defunct "politics" thread(s) so rather than going on, perhaps a ruling on this is in order...Mod(s)?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I can actually see that, however, as young fellas we are bound by DNA, societal standards, and desire to prove how great we are in comparison to one another. Certainly there are motivators that come along with this competition (girls, reputation, parental approval and/or attention and of course money) but I'm convinced that none of that is in play once the competition is underway. BTW: we see the competitive nature in kids early on but generally, it's most notable around the ages of 5 and 6.

This might be turning into a subject that's best suited for the "Off Topic" or now defunct "politics" thread(s) so rather than going on, perhaps a ruling on this is in order...Mod(s)?
So far it’s ok

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No luck with injuries

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What motivates a player to excellence once he's made a ton of money? Just asking this for a friend :D

Great question and I don't have the answer but I'll bet Tom Brady does.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are so altruistic that offering you 3 million instead of 100k wouldn’t motivate better performance?

I think you have self-delusions.
Yeah, that's it. I'm both altruistic and self delusional. Call me crazy, but I strive too give my best performance in what ever I do. Is someone going to get a better performance out of me by offering more money? Probably not. Because if I agreed to perform a task at $100K, they are getting my best effort. Now more money might get them other things, like priority response time, exclusivity, etc. But I can't imagine a scenario where I do a half ass job because of money. Otherwise I would never accept the job.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's it. I'm both altruistic and self delusional. Call me crazy, but I strive too give my best performance in what ever I do. Is someone going to get a better performance out of me by offering more money? Probably not. Because if I agreed to perform a task at $100K, they are getting my best effort. Now more money might get them other things, like priority response time, exclusivity, etc. But I can't imagine a scenario where I do a half ass job because of money. Otherwise I would never accept the job.

Well said!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nats!!!!!!!

Personal pride --- I remember Magic Johnson saying too many players were just happy to make it to the NFL. He said that he, Larry Legend and MJ wanted to be the best. Every year they worked on something they thought they needed to improve on so they could be even better. True about most great players. Motivation comes from within but if you fear for your job, a marriage etc. …. you might be a little more motivated.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You strive to no matter what...regardless of others motivating you. Most do.

Now, it is within human nature to give more when given more. You see...outside motivating force.

Will you give more if given more...of course because you are human. If there is a larger reward, you will naturally push harder.

You just admitted you will do a better job if given more. This is hilarious. When you give more time, let’s say in a weight room or a film room as an athlete, that is exactly what I am talking about. You are giving more of yourself because you are motivated by money.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You strive to no matter what...regardless of others motivating you. Most do.

Now, it is within human nature to give more when given more. You see...outside motivating force.

Will you give more if given more...of course because you are human. If there is a larger reward, you will naturally push harder.

You just admitted you will do a better job if given more. This is hilarious. When you give more time, let’s say in a weight room or a film room as an athlete, that is exactly what I am talking about. You are giving more of yourself because you are motivated by money.
Huh? Not sure what you are reading, must be someone else’s post. Anyway, Whatever. You seem to believe that everyone is like you. We are all different. Clearly money is an issue for you at your job. That has gotta suck.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? Not sure what you are reading, must be someone else’s post. Anyway, Whatever. You seem to believe that everyone is like you. We are all different. Clearly money is an issue for you at your job. That has gotta suck.

Post 52, your words...”Now more money might get them other things, like priority response time, exclusivity, etc.”

Money is motivating you to give more to your job.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post 52, your words...”Now more money might get them other things, like priority response time, exclusivity, etc.”

Money is motivating you to give more to your job.
If that's your interpretation, that's fine.