• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do the Colts go from here?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are plenty of threads about Seattle and New England. Figured we could talk about something else occasionally.

So another ignominious loss for the Colts. Year 3 of the Andrew Luck era is in the books and perhaps it is time to start evaluating what is actually going on in Indy.

Anchored by one of the premier young QBs in the league, they have become a pretty darn good offense. And if you look at their drafts over the past 3 years you can see why. Of their 22 picks in the last 3 drafts, 15 were for offensive players. Throw in Trend Richardson and it becomes even more start.

And it seems to me that their defense has really suffered. They made some good moves. Vontae Davis for a 2nd was a great trade. But overall there are a lot of gaps on this defense.

The Colts have used all of 1 pick in the first 4 rounds on the draft in the past 3 years. How does this seem sensible to anyone.

Ryan Grigson won Executive of the Year in 2012 basically for drafting Andrew Luck. He made a few other good picks in that 2012 draft as well. However, his two drafts after that have been unimpressive. Bjoern Werner, their sole defensive pick in the 1st round in the last 3 years, was a healthy scratch for the game. That is not good.

So is it time to start questioning Grigson? Or has their soft cushy division given him more wiggle room than he would have otherwise?

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will get all the wiggle room in the world. Living in Indiana and engaged to a Colts fan they are content with where they are at. Mind you they know they have to improve on defense ASAP. However, most are ok with the rumor of luck getting possibly $25 a year. Loyal fan base, i respect them because even the year without Manning I saw quite a few of them watch every agonizing minute of football that year.

But I am with you they have to invest in defense heavily from here on out and an Offensive Line. Luck cannot continue to be crushed every game, it will eventually take a huge toll on him and i'm guessing with some of the hits i've seen placed on him that's going to come sooner rather than later. I have a feeling luck is going to be like Manning/Brady and you can surround him with either good/elite TE/WR talent of junk and he will make them look good to great depending on if they are junk or elite.

Pep Hamilton has to decide an identity to this team and fast. Does he want to run or throw? He couldn't decide and you could see the chemistry meltdown they had in the last few games of the year and all the drops they had in the playoffs.

Defensively, they need a DL first and foremost probably 2-3 more guys that are good to great and then get some talent in at the Linebacker position.

If Luck decides to go the route of wanting to win and not take such a huge deal and maybe settle for around $15 the colts can be scary good for years to come. If he takes his $25 million then the Colts will be seeing a patchwork defense for another 10 years until the next Luck is coming up in the draft and they tank that season magically getting the next Luck.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In spite of the lopsided loss, I think the glass is half full in IND...the DIV has cushioned the blow.

They have some players on DEF...they had some ups and downs obviously...they got a lot out of scheme, blitzes those LBs early in the season...but the reality is much like the Steelers...they need a difference maker on the DL.

The only real GM blunder I'm aware of was TRich...that even shocked me...I thought it was a bad trade even though I thought he was a good RB at the time. His dropoff has been monumental for such a young guy.

I think Luck is going to get top dollar, but if they're smart they will back end load a good bit the guaranteed money to free up cash to bring in a DL FA

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the worst idea in the world to sacrifice the D to ensure that Luck succeeded early on. Make him comfortable, give him a chance to have a good offense and to play well and he's set for his career. Much different than other high end picks that had nothing to work with and were likely damaged psychologically and never recovered (see Browns, Jaguars, Bills etc.)

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where = to a crackhouse ,.........get bob Irsay some "black-tar",........quick.....!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. They are lucky to be in the division they are in. Their rebuilding process got shortened by about 2 years because their competition isnt amazing.

2. Trent Richardson trade set them back a year.

3. Its clear they matchup poorly with the Patriots and they need to get better linebackers.

4. Obviously they need oline help.

Id imagine their first round pick will be oline. LB in RD2 and maybe 3. Draft some late round RBs.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously defense is a big issue but a decent RB would make a huge difference for that offense. Once Bradshaw went down, they weren't the same team. I see the Colts as still in rebuild mode and are fortunate to be as good as they are during it all. They wouldn't need the best defense in the league to be a serious SB contender but they have a ways to go for sure.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it, Luck keeps taking steps forward and so does the team. I would have to think that the mood in Indy, once this loss wears off and people think rationally, will be pretty darn good.

The Colts have advanced further in every season under Luck. Progress has been made at every step. So...yes they got pounded this weekend by a superior team, but few teams have brighter futures.

Andrew Luck Playoffs Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com