• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

where do lakers end up in draft?

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
losers of last 10 games I say not to early to discuss...

even still they only have 6th worst record in league. unless some of those eastern conference teams start winning then probably will stay that way...hear a lot of people want either jabari parker or Andrew wiggins but reality is they will be gone in top 3 picks...unless lakers get luck of draw in lottery then don't see it. any secondary later in top 10 candidates?

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the grammy trip coming up this could go downhill fast, so the Lakers wont win much the next couple of weeks. They could end up easily be in the top 5 draft picks IMO.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say right now. A lot of the poorer teams are still one or two games within each other so you can move up or down pretty quickly. By mid-Feb, I'd say the schedules will have evened out and we'll have a clearer picture. I think they need to finish within the bottom 7 to have any real shot at winning the lottery. Anything past that and the odds are too slim (really, its more like bottom 5). If I'm being honest though, I see the following happening; LA keeps losing games and has a bottom 5 record, guys come back (Kobe, Blake, Farmar) sometime around the ASG to March and they start winning games, LA finishes in the bottom 8 to 10 so they fall just outside of getting a potentially great player.

But that wouldn't be all that terrible. The draft class is deep so you should still be able to find solid rotation pieces on back into the teens.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I easily see them getting a top 8 pick. Which would be excellent for us.

But what position do we draft for? A big guy or a guard?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I easily see them getting a top 8 pick. Which would be excellent for us.

But what position do we draft for? A big guy or a guard?

looking at the roster right now that's a DAMN good question...

in all honesty the position you want to always get in today's NBA is a PG. it's simply that kind of a league today. passing, penetration, etc is very important to a team's success. but man, the way we CONTINUALLY get chewed up in the paint tells me we might be better served to go with a talented big(whether it's center OR power forward). any intimidaters in this year's draft...?:lol:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looking at the roster right now that's a DAMN good question...

in all honesty the position you want to always get in today's NBA is a PG. it's simply that kind of a league today. passing, penetration, etc is very important to a team's success. but man, the way we CONTINUALLY get chewed up in the paint tells me we might be better served to go with a talented big(whether it's center OR power forward). any intimidaters in this year's draft...?:lol:

Additionally, if D'Antoni is going to continue as coach, his offense is point guard driven, so landing a top point guard either through the draft, trade or free agency is going to be vital.

Farmar has shown some signs of possibly being that player, but I'm concerned about his health and unsure if he might be a better back-up to a top point guard. Once he's back, if he proves himself to be the anwer at pg, then the Lakers can look at a mobile big or an SF.

Depending on where they end up in the draft, a 2 guard might be worth looking at too. Someone who can spend a couple of seasons learning from Kobe before taking over the spot.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Additionally, if D'Antoni is going to continue as coach, his offense is point guard driven, so landing a top point guard either through the draft, trade or free agency is going to be vital.

Farmar has shown some signs of possibly being that player, but I'm concerned about his health and unsure if he might be a better back-up to a top point guard. Once he's back, if he proves himself to be the anwer at pg, then the Lakers can look at a mobile big or an SF.

Depending on where they end up in the draft, a 2 guard might be worth looking at too. Someone who can spend a couple of seasons learning from Kobe before taking over the spot.

true. though there's a couple of factors that bear mentioning. 1) IF D'Antoni continues to be our coach 2)if we sign Niuck Young long term i think our 2 guard position may covered for a little while...

right now though i agree with you and i'd make the pick the best PG that we could acquire. guess we'll see how it all breaks down...

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might actually be dumb enough to say that I'm quite content in having Farmar/Marshall at the PG. I mean we had Fish on our last couple of Championship teams and even though his ball IQ is through the roof he wasn't exactly the most athletic guy on the floor.

At one point I was thinking a SF but if the Lakers are truly serious about Melo or (ha) Lebron, there's hardly any point drafting one of those.

My gut says go for a big guy. Gasol is on a decline and even if we were to keep hold of Hill, he can't do it on his own. Dario Saric is a 6'10 PF with a lot of skills and Aaron Gordon despite his size is being likened to Blake Griffin.

Last edited by a moderator:

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And who knows if we trade Pau by Feb deadline that another draft pick comes our way in the trade....at this stage they may have to try for an athletic type regardless of position. No one besides Kobe and Young are guaranteed beyond this season. Didn't forget Nash cause I bet he retires or is waived.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And who knows if we trade Pau by Feb deadline that another draft pick comes our way in the trade....at this stage they may have to try for an athletic type regardless of position. No one besides Kobe and Young are guaranteed beyond this season. Didn't forget Nash cause I bet he retires or is waived.

Sacre too but he's only on the books for $915,243 next season

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true. though there's a couple of factors that bear mentioning. 1) IF D'Antoni continues to be our coach 2)if we sign Niuck Young long term i think our 2 guard position may covered for a little while...

right now though i agree with you and i'd make the pick the best PG that we could acquire. guess we'll see how it all breaks down...

Nick Young needs to become more consistent before he can be trusted as the starting 2 guard, imo. He's too streaky (especially as a starter) and doesn't play enough defense yet. If he can become more consistent at both ends of the floor, then I agree that he could end up being the answer.

Fortunately, none of it has to be figured out right now. The current group has the rest of the season to show what they've got and the injured guys have plenty of time to come back and show what they can do.

It's looking like Kobe, Farmar and Nash will both be back around the end of this month (barring any setbacks) and I believe Blake should be back almost any day now (seems like I heard 2 weeks almost 2 weeks ago).

There's also the trade deadline coming up in about 6 weeks, so we'll see what happens with that. There is still a lot that can change.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the potential Nash trade with Toronto is going to gain traction and it may include a third team. My guess is Memphis. Toronto really wants to jettison Gay's huge contract and Nash has mentioned he'd like to play some time in Toronto. This may involve sending Gasol to Memphis who has stated he wants to play with his brother. The Lakers would receive Rudy Gay and draft picks from one or both teams. This is what the Lakers were trying to get out of those bums in Cleveland but to no avail. So, like everyone is stating, things will probably change in the next 5-6 weeks on a number of levels.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see the Lakers pick up Doug McDermott out of Creighton. He's only 6'8", slightly short for a PF, but the dude has skills. He's averaging 24 pts and 7 rebounds, and is shooting 48% from the field, 90% from the free throw line, and 43% threes. He would fit in nicely with D'Antoni's system (not that I want him around), but he is good enough to function at a high level in a more conventional system too.

I have no idea where he will be drafted, but my guess is that the Lakers would have to have a Top Ten pick to draft him.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DownSetHutch. I see you finally have arrived here on the SportsHoopla. Good to see you again!!

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget trading Pau, how about a D'antoni for Shaw trade?:yahoo:

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see the Lakers pick up Doug McDermott out of Creighton. He's only 6'8", slightly short for a PF, but the dude has skills. He's averaging 24 pts and 7 rebounds, and is shooting 48% from the field, 90% from the free throw line, and 43% threes. He would fit in nicely with D'Antoni's system (not that I want him around), but he is good enough to function at a high level in a more conventional system too.

I have no idea where he will be drafted, but my guess is that the Lakers would have to have a Top Ten pick to draft him.

Yeah, i can kinda see where you're coming from, Hutch. Kenneth Fareid kinda proves you don't necessarily have to be big to play the 4. It's all about desire and hustle...

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nash is gone next season I don't see D'antoni staying much longer either. Especially if they don't have to pay Mike Brown anymore.