• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What was the 'Main Strip' you drove around in your town.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What decade?

Very early 90's.

Lots of the kids I went to school with lived in Bellevue. I didn't know there was a Bellevue highschool, but I never paid attention to that kind of stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lived out in a rural area as a kid, so no real strips to cruise...

Howevers...

When I was 16 I had a friend with a 59 Dodge P/U, with a 318 of course...you can't kill that motor BTW, even w/o oil in it.

anywhoze, We would go out on the roads passing people and basically trying to "rustle us some jimmies" of other drivers. Seemed to work well as we got into all sorts of chases on the backroads. Well, there was this onetime when my buddy got into a chase and just "pissed off" this older white guy in a 2 door "import" sedan. Guy chased us all over the map out there. My buddy always had an ace up his sleeve for guys like that. We headed up into the hills and down this gravel road that dumped into a washed out creek area in the road, buddy says, "Hang the fuck on, we goin fer a ride now!". We go bombing thru that washout and barely make it to the other side, looked back to see that pissed off driver braking to a stop before the washout. Funny ass shit as we honked and waved goodbye.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very early 90's.

Lots of the kids I went to school with lived in Bellevue. I didn't know there was a Bellevue highschool, but I never paid attention to that kind of stuff.

It's now Bellevue Middle School. I'm not sure when they closed it as a high school, I was there in the 70's. Ouch.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Omaha it was Dodge St. between 72nd and 90th streets.

Parking lots full of teens and early 20's hanging out.

It's now posted a 'No Cruising Zone' and strictly enforced.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
In Omaha it was Dodge St. between 72nd and 90th streets.

Parking lots full of teens and early 20's hanging out.

It's now posted a 'No Cruising Zone' and strictly enforced.

We have those hanging in our old stomping grounds as well. If a cop spots you going by more than 3 times, or some such number, they ticket you for cruising.

Cobalt1959

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Phoenix, Central Avenue was where to cruise. Now the cops allow 1 night per year to cruise it. Mostly everyone just parks and walks down to the mall to hang out for a few hours and there's so much "other" traffic, the few hot rod and custom cars trying to cruise get lost in the sea of regular cars.

Central Avenue was the place. I had a '68 Firebird with the Sprint OHC 6-banger in it and I surprised a lot of people in it. I also had a '72 Pinto that had the 2 liter 4-banger in it, but it was far from stock and I destroyed a '73 455-SD Trans Am in it one night because he didn't know how to drive. If he would have had more pavement and fewer lights he would have ate my lunch. But stop light to stop light, he couldn't touch me.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come to think of it, I just don't see any drag races any more at all.
Use to be, years ago, you would see 2 guys coming off a red light pretty regular.
Not just on the 'strip', but in everyday driving.

What the hell happened to that. All I see now are aggressive women in big SUV's.

I figured this one out.
They still do it, but a Ford Focus vs a Honda Civic just doesn't have the same effect like the old days.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that the truth outofyourmind. Some of these bitches are downright assholes when they get behind the wheel of an SUV and sooner rather than later, some get themselves into major trouble behaving like the same.