• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What the Niners are still missing

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This thread has one rule: No talking about any QBs. None. Not even Joe Montana. There are plenty of threads for QBs...

What are the 49ers missing now? I always wanted a Lamichael James kind of RB, so that's nice. But the Niners still need IMO:

1) A NT
2) An OG (maybe they should've picked up Robert Gallery?)
3) Depth at DE.
4) A nasty blocking TE who can catch a little (and Joe Staley is busy playing LT, so he doens't count).

I wanted Dwayne Allen to be that blocking TE, but I'm happy with James. Maybe one comes up on the trade block this season...

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orson Charles is still out there if want another TE. I doubt he would last until the end of the 4th round though. He was thought to be a last 1st or 2nd rounder but he failed to impress with his workouts.

He did post 35 reps on the bench press though which far more than any other TE and an impressive number even for linemen. He is not as skilled a pass catching TE as scouts though, but he is much stronger and could be a good fit opposite Davis.

I don't think he is a good pick with our first 4th rounder though and to get him past that we probably would have to trade up.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I was Charles' biggest critic before the combine. People had him as a first rounder, but I never saw it. I always liked Allen the most because of his blocking ability (although Fleener is the better receiver).

That said, I could live with Charles in the 4th round. Maybe the later 4th rounder. I was hoping the Niners would use that pick on Marcus Forston, but Charles could be an ok pick.

Could he be there in the 5th or 6th though?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we're fne with sop at NT. we could use depth across the defensive line tho. day 2 is basically special teams/back ups, so i don't expect any solutions for OG where we need a starter.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
i think we're fne with sop at NT. we could use depth across the defensive line tho. day 2 is basically special teams/back ups, so i don't expect any solutions for OG where we need a starter.

They don't need a starting NT; but Sopoaga is in a contract year, and a NT of his caliber costs a crap load of money to re-sign. The Niners have already assigned a lot of money to Rogers & Brooks, and they're going to need some cap room to eventually re-sign a lot of good players like Culliver, Bowman, Iupati, Anthony Davis, Miller, etc. Plus Justin Smith only has 2 years left on his deal if I'm not mistaken.

My initial thought is that Sopoaga gets a big offer from another team & walks. That's why the Niners need to draft a NT. They need to groom one for the future. And RJF is not a sure thing.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hoping for Alemena Ta'Amu.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We will have Nate Byham back, so we're okay at this point with TE. Don't think we'll be able to add much at this point that would significantly upgrade D. Walker and Byham. I'm not an Orson fan at all.

Would much rather fill out the 4th rounders with a G for competition, and add one D-line. Then add some LB depth (inside or outside) or S depth who will be a STer in the 5th. Might as well burn the 6th and 7th rounders this year to incrementally move up because they'll have a real hard time making it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Byham's good to have. It'd be nice to have a TE who wasn't completely one dimentional (besides Davis). Walker can't block, and Byham isn't a receiving threat.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think Orson adds much as a blocker in the NFL. Delanie Walker is less one dimensional than Orson imo. Orson might be a better receiving threat, but I'm even scheptical about that. If we can get a solid G & D-line in the 4th, I would be all for that instead. There's a lot of other places I'd go instead of adding Orson.

If there was a tall TE who could block and move the chains on 3rd downs and be added to the mix in the red-zone, that would be the player I'd want instead. Not a mini-Vernon who's not as fast and can't block.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orson Charles is still out there if want another TE. I doubt he would last until the end of the 4th round though. He was thought to be a last 1st or 2nd rounder but he failed to impress with his workouts.

He did post 35 reps on the bench press though which far more than any other TE and an impressive number even for linemen. He is not as skilled a pass catching TE as scouts though, but he is much stronger and could be a good fit opposite Davis.

I don't think he is a good pick with our first 4th rounder though and to get him past that we probably would have to trade up.

we have the second pick in the 4th due to the trade with the Stanford Colts

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't need a starting NT; but Sopoaga is in a contract year, and a NT of his caliber costs a crap load of money to re-sign. The Niners have already assigned a lot of money to Rogers & Brooks, and they're going to need some cap room to eventually re-sign a lot of good players like Culliver, Bowman, Iupati, Anthony Davis, Miller, etc. Plus Justin Smith only has 2 years left on his deal if I'm not mistaken.

My initial thought is that Sopoaga gets a big offer from another team & walks. That's why the Niners need to draft a NT. They need to groom one for the future. And RJF is not a sure thing.

not really much this year in the way of NT. hopefully someone emerges from the draft next year. most likely we'd have to sign someone anyways.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were 1 play away from the Super Bowl and had a great ass offseason in adding weapons on offense, we have the luxury in adding guys who we can work with and have the talent to be good for years to come with Jenkins and James

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm worried about our dline depth and the future there. NT in the future is a possible pretty big hole. Justin SMith isnt getting any younger. For this year, we really dont have much for backups . RJF is pretty good and thats about it.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crick is still out there

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if possible, i'd trade again for future picks? we won't get high picks, but it'll be ammo for trading up.

our brass isn't as interested in prospects from round 4 on, so we don't need to add four more players.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if possible, i'd trade again for future picks? we won't get high picks, but it'll be ammo for trading up.

our brass isn't as interested in prospects from round 4 on, so we don't need to add four more players.

good spot to reload a bit on special teams, maybe add some depth especially on the defensive line.