• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What team is the biggest threat to KC winning their 7th straight AFC West title?

What team is the biggest threat to KC winning a 7 straight West title?

• Las Vegas

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Denver

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • LA Chargers

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Football festive potato salad

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers

Denver is an ACL tearing machine right now. Not to mention, Russ is not the Russ of old. A lot of hype over a solid motivational speaker whose football skills are behind him.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers

Denver is an ACL tearing machine right now. Not to mention, Russ is not the Russ of old. A lot of hype over a solid motivational speaker whose football skills are behind him.
More like Russ is not the Russ of young.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there has been a rookie QB contract in every Super Bowl except one in the era of cheap rookie QB contracts. I expect many people to be picking the Chargers.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers

Over the final 7-games of the season last year once his finger healed up he had 15 TD's to only 3 INT's. He had a QB Rating of 104.7 during that stretch. Add in another rushing TD and the offense scoring 30 or more points in 4 of those 7 games. This whole idea of him starting this big decline is overblown. Heck 2020 one could argue was his best season.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the final 7-games of the season last year once his finger healed up he had 15 TD's to only 3 INT's. He had a QB Rating of 104.7 during that stretch. Add in another rushing TD and the offense scoring 30 or more points in 4 of those 7 games. This whole idea of him starting this big decline is overblown. Heck 2020 one could argue was his best season.
His mobility has declined greatly and he’s never been comfortable with bodies flying around him. Still has the arm thought for those beautiful rainbows downfield. He purposely avoids the middle of the field targets hoping for bigger plays. This has lead to sacks and with his mobility declining, it will lead to even more sacks. I’d expect lots of big plays down field and a ton of sacks this season.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DEN or LAC but I will have to go Chargers. That team is dangerous. I wouldn’t sleep on Denver they still have a very legit shot and the best defense in that division

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers

Russ is fine. They are an extremely dangerous team

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas imo

Popular answer will be LA but I'll believe that when it actually happens.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His mobility has declined greatly and he’s never been comfortable with bodies flying around him. Still has the arm thought for those beautiful rainbows downfield. He purposely avoids the middle of the field targets hoping for bigger plays. This has lead to sacks and with his mobility declining, it will lead to even more sacks. I’d expect lots of big plays down field and a ton of sacks this season.

He could also though finally be getting a decent OL that allows him to do some things where he doesn't have to be so mobile. ESPN just did a ranking of the OL's and had the Broncos 4th. Seahawks were 30th. Kind of a big difference in what he is getting or had in the past.

He is also paired up now with a coach that just ran a system that didn't target the middle of the field with Rodgers. If you look at the heat maps for throwing Rodgers and Wilson are almost identical. So this offense can still play to his strengths with better protection to allow him the time to do what he does best.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could also though finally be getting a decent OL that allows him to do some things where he doesn't have to be so mobile. ESPN just did a ranking of the OL's and had the Broncos 4th. Seahawks were 30th. Kind of a big difference in what he is getting or had in the past.

He is also paired up now with a coach that just ran a system that didn't target the middle of the field with Rodgers. If you look at the heat maps for throwing Rodgers and Wilson are almost identical. So this offense can still play to his strengths with better protection to allow him the time to do what he does best.
All that could correct and I’ll stick with lots of downfield plays and lots of sacks. Wilson will leave the pocket despite not needing to and he’ll end up with self made sacks.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. Russ is the #3 QB in the AFC West IMHO...

Is that so bad though? I mean the argument could be made that all four guys deserve to be top-10 at the position. So not sure there is this huge separation like in other divisions. Mahomes and Herbert I agree are better, but this isn't like say the NFC South where you go from Tom Brady at the top to maybe Marcus Mariota as the 3rd best guy.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that could correct and I’ll stick with lots of downfield plays and lots of sacks. Wilson will leave the pocket despite not needing to and he’ll end up with self made sacks.

He has still produced a top-10 scoring offense most years he has been in the league. I do agree he takes a lot of sacks that maybe he shouldn't but that is also what helps set up what makes him great of hitting the big plays down the field that lead to game changing plays. I mean there is a reason he has the 2nd most wins in the league since coming into the league only behind Brady with the Patriots and tied with Mahomes and the Chiefs. That doesn't happen by accident. And when I look at his last healthy year in 2020 I don't see this huge drop off in ability from years before. The reality more was thrown onto his shoulders that year to carry the team with a lack of talent and he put up big numbers and found ways to win games.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How the absolute fuck are the Broncos 4th in OL rankings? PFF had them ranked around 20 last season which makes sense and for the record Seattle was 25.... I mean I'm not saying PFF is the bible but I certainly wouldn't quote anything off ESPN.

Yes Seattle has two rookies now so understandably they have to be ranked low, but last year WITH Duane Brown Seattle was on par with Denver. Center play has been an issue with Seattle but Wilson bails from under center 24/7 and drops back nearly 10+ yards on every throw so whatever.

Couple other points:

1) LaFleur was calling the system in Green Bay, not Hackett,
2) Wilson brings on a LOT of sacks and pressure with his style of play. He constantly leaves the pocket and drops WAAAAY back - Rodgers does not do that.
3) The O-line coach left Denver,
4) Wilson holds onto the ball 0.5 seconds longer than Rodgers on average - I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but Wilson was the second highest per season average in the league, compared to Rodgers who was nearly top 5.
5) The receivers are simply not as good in Denver compared to what Seattle had last year. Just not the case.

Everyone keeps mentioning this 'protection' in Denver and I just don't get it. Yah their OL isn't bad or anything, but I don't get how it's better than Seattle's. Seattle's OL received a lot of criticism over the years because Wilson tries to extend plays 24/7 and holds onto the ball WAAAAY too long (especially as of late).

Now that worked all well and fine when Wilson had a) a great running game - he will have some of that in Denver, but whole new coaching regime, and Gordon is nearly 30, b) and more importantly, full mobility. And let me tell ya, Wilson's mobility IMO is gone. He isn't fooling any decent defenses anymore with the spin move and jukes... they're just sacking him.

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the absolute fuck are the Broncos 4th in OL rankings? PFF had them ranked around 20 last season which makes sense and for the record Seattle was 25.... I mean I'm not saying PFF is the bible but I certainly wouldn't quote anything off ESPN.

Yes Seattle has two rookies now so understandably they have to be ranked low, but last year WITH Duane Brown Seattle was on par with Denver. Center play has been an issue with Seattle but Wilson bails from under center 24/7 and drops back nearly 10+ yards on every throw so whatever.

Couple other points:

1) LaFleur was calling the system in Green Bay, not Hackett,
2) Wilson brings on a LOT of sacks and pressure with his style of play. He constantly leaves the pocket and drops WAAAAY back - Rodgers does not do that.
3) The O-line coach left Denver,
4) Wilson holds onto the ball 0.5 seconds longer than Rodgers on average - I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but Wilson was the second highest per season average in the league, compared to Rodgers who was nearly top 5.
5) The receivers are simply not as good in Denver compared to what Seattle had last year. Just not the case.

Everyone keeps mentioning this 'protection' in Denver and I just don't get it. Yah their OL isn't bad or anything, but I don't get how it's better than Seattle's. Seattle's OL received a lot of criticism over the years because Wilson tries to extend plays 24/7 and holds onto the ball WAAAAY too long (especially as of late).

Now that worked all well and fine when Wilson had a) a great running game - he will have some of that in Denver, but whole new coaching regime, and Gordon is nearly 30, b) when Wilson had full mobility. And let me tell ya, Wilson's mobility IMO is gone. He isn't fooling any decent defenses anymore with the spin move and jukes... they're just sacking him.

Alright well since you wrote a book I guess I have to respond with a book.

1) I'm not saying that Russell Wilson is the greatest QB of all-time by any means. Seahawk fans are going through the breakup period after watching the best player to come to their franchise is now leaving and not on good terms. So hard to think you are being objective in this evaluation. What I am saying though is Wilson still has plenty of ability left in the tank and you guys are underselling what he can do with just his arm alone. Yes his athletic profile has declined, but Seattle's offense also tried to take a ton of deep shots. I can tell you from being at practice this offense he is in for Denver is different.

2) When it comes to the OL of what ESPN put out you can argue with it just like I could argue with PFF. The people that complain about the grades the most of NFL players are OL. Those guys at PFF have no clue what they are looking at. I've watched videos of OL coaches watching film then seeing the grades that PFF handed out and just laughing at how they have no clue what is happening on any given play.

3) Yes it was LaFleur's system. Of course Hackett is going to be bringing some of that to Denver. Just like I'm sure he has had Wilson bringing some of what he liked from Seattle with him. There is a reason that Rodgers was ticked when Hackett was leaving the building. First coach he actually felt like he connected with and respected in a long time. Also this isn't Hackett's first time calling plays.

4) We don't know what the Bronco receivers are at this point. Kind of tough to grade them when they don't have a great QB throwing to them. Jeudy ranked top-5 in separation yards but also ranked #1 in off-target throws thrown his direction. What happens when he gets a QB that can actually hit him in stride and give him room to roam? I mean he was a top-15 pick for a reason. Sutton before his knee injury put up over 1,000 yards with Lock/Flacco/Brandon Allen throwing to him. Again, what happens when you give him a possible top-10 QB that really fits his skill set well? KJ Hamler is one of the faster players in the league. Kind of fits with a QB that likes to throw deep. They also have 2 great receiving backs. So while I would agree that Seattle with their top-2 options probably better, I don't think they had near the depth of weapons that Denver is bringing to the table.

5) He also has the best running duo he has had in a long time working with him. Gordon might be older (only 29), but they also have one of the best young RB's in football with Williams. That duo without a QB keeping a defense honest rushed for over 1,800 yards. Again, imagine what happens when they are running against less than 8 in the box? Magic is what happens.

I don't expect Wilson to be everything by any means, but this roster won 7-games last year with maybe the worst QB situation in all of football. They are at the very least adding a top-12 guy to this roster. It might not mean winning the division, but it at least makes them competitive with a shot to do something special.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright well since you wrote a book I guess I have to respond with a book.

1) I'm not saying that Russell Wilson is the greatest QB of all-time by any means. Seahawk fans are going through the breakup period after watching the best player to come to their franchise is now leaving and not on good terms. So hard to think you are being objective in this evaluation. What I am saying though is Wilson still has plenty of ability left in the tank and you guys are underselling what he can do with just his arm alone. Yes his athletic profile has declined, but Seattle's offense also tried to take a ton of deep shots. I can tell you from being at practice this offense he is in for Denver is different.

2) When it comes to the OL of what ESPN put out you can argue with it just like I could argue with PFF. The people that complain about the grades the most of NFL players are OL. Those guys at PFF have no clue what they are looking at. I've watched videos of OL coaches watching film then seeing the grades that PFF handed out and just laughing at how they have no clue what is happening on any given play.

3) Yes it was LaFleur's system. Of course Hackett is going to be bringing some of that to Denver. Just like I'm sure he has had Wilson bringing some of what he liked from Seattle with him. There is a reason that Rodgers was ticked when Hackett was leaving the building. First coach he actually felt like he connected with and respected in a long time. Also this isn't Hackett's first time calling plays.

4) We don't know what the Bronco receivers are at this point. Kind of tough to grade them when they don't have a great QB throwing to them. Jeudy ranked top-5 in separation yards but also ranked #1 in off-target throws thrown his direction. What happens when he gets a QB that can actually hit him in stride and give him room to roam? I mean he was a top-15 pick for a reason. Sutton before his knee injury put up over 1,000 yards with Lock/Flacco/Brandon Allen throwing to him. Again, what happens when you give him a possible top-10 QB that really fits his skill set well? KJ Hamler is one of the faster players in the league. Kind of fits with a QB that likes to throw deep. They also have 2 great receiving backs. So while I would agree that Seattle with their top-2 options probably better, I don't think they had near the depth of weapons that Denver is bringing to the table.

5) He also has the best running duo he has had in a long time working with him. Gordon might be older (only 29), but they also have one of the best young RB's in football with Williams. That duo without a QB keeping a defense honest rushed for over 1,800 yards. Again, imagine what happens when they are running against less than 8 in the box? Magic is what happens.

I don't expect Wilson to be everything by any means, but this roster won 7-games last year with maybe the worst QB situation in all of football. They are at the very least adding a top-12 guy to this roster. It might not mean winning the division, but it at least makes them competitive with a shot to do something special.

Thanks for the reply.

Not disagreeing at all that Wilson has IMO the best deep ball in the league. That said, he totally abandoned Waldron's offensive scheme to chuck it downfield and in the process missed WIDE open players (watched it on Sunday onfold... guys going over the middle, simple check downs to RBs who were literally just standing there with nobody in a 10 yard vicinity).

I think what gets me with Wilson is one of the biggest assets to his game was mobility and that's starting to fade now. We saw it in the second half of 2020 and saw it last year. Can he still beat up teams and punish them? Absolutely... but I think against playoff level teams/defenses his ability to maintain possession on offense and sustain drives is starting to fade.

As for the breakup period, eh.... honestly I'm perfectly fine with letting Wilson walk. I don't see him as a threat in the pocket and that's what every QB that plays late into their career thrives on.

As for OL I mean it's all just opinion.... totally get if OL coaches have watched PFF and laughed... I was moreso calling you out on quoting ESPN on their rankings, which is likely just as much bullshit lol. My point was, Seattle's OL has gotten a TON of criticism because they allow sacks/pressure, but watching nearly every Seahawks game of Wilson's career, a LOT of that pressure is generated BY Wilson. And I expect that to continue to be a big trend in Denver. I'm happy to eat crow on this, but I think halfway through the season the 'talking heads' are going to be commenting about how Denver needs to fix their OL and the loss of Munchak was a blow.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the reply.

Not disagreeing at all that Wilson has IMO the best deep ball in the league. That said, he totally abandoned Waldron's offensive scheme to chuck it downfield and in the process missed WIDE open players (watched it on Sunday onfold... guys going over the middle, simple check downs to RBs who were literally just standing there with nobody in a 10 yard vicinity).

I think what gets me with Wilson is one of the biggest assets to his game was mobility and that's starting to fade now. We saw it in the second half of 2020 and saw it last year. Can he still beat up teams and punish them? Absolutely... but I think against playoff level teams/defenses his ability to maintain possession on offense and sustain drives is starting to fade.

As for the breakup period, eh.... honestly I'm perfectly fine with letting Wilson walk. I don't see him as a threat in the pocket and that's what every QB that plays late into their career thrives on.

As for OL I mean it's all just opinion.... totally get if OL coaches have watched PFF and laughed... I was moreso calling you out on quoting ESPN on their rankings, which is likely just as much bullshit lol. My point was, Seattle's OL has gotten a TON of criticism because they allow sacks/pressure, but watching nearly every Seahawks game of Wilson's career, a LOT of that pressure is generated BY Wilson. And I expect that to continue to be a big trend in Denver. I'm happy to eat crow on this, but I think halfway through the season the 'talking heads' are going to be commenting about how Denver needs to fix their OL and the loss of Munchak was a blow.

Again I think some of that fading now part is overblown. They averaged 28.7 points per game over the final 7 games of the season last year (I would consider that the point when Wilson started looking healthy and trusting his finger to hold up). That would have ranked 3rd in the NFL if carried over the entire season. And that stretch included both playoff teams and some scrubs. 4 of those games they scored 30 or more. So that is the last snap shot we have of Seattle with Wilson. Are we really going to call that fading? He wasn't perfect by any means as obviously had the dud against the Rams. That seemed to be the team that Wilson struggled the most with even when fully healthy and in his prime so I'm not going to read too much into that.

And we shall see if Wilson can adjust his game as he gets older. I do admit that is one of my concerns. If he cannot adjust to at least half the time instead of scrambling taking the easier throw that is wide open then yes his time in Denver could be shorter than most hope. I think Wilson is smart enough to realize his game has to evolve. It is one of his greatest assets in my opinion is that attention to detail and intelligence.

I also have to wonder when QB's switch teams if there isn't at least for a year or two a bit of a revitalizing to their career. Maybe a change of scenery is just what they needed. Brady has done better in Tampa than the last couple of years in NE. Stafford obviously just won a Super Bowl and really had things clicking by the end of the year. Manning when he came to Denver saw himself put together some of his best seasons of his career. These guys love playing when others think they are fading to prove them wrong.