• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Should Andre Iguodala Do?

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like he's opting out of his final year, worth $16.2M, in order to sign a longer deal this summer. He can get 5 years from Denver. Seems, at least from his exit interview below, that he actually believes in what Denver is doing. But that could just be microphone talk.

He said his immediate plans are to go to Los Angeles to "sit down and talk to my agent - we'll start having conversations."

What would you do if you were him? Would you bounce to Houston to team up with those guys? Would you look at the Lakers with Dwight Howard? Someone else?

Forward Andre Iguodala is expected to opt out of the final year of his contract, forgoing $16 million next season in search of a long-term deal even if the money wouldn't rise to the same level on a per-year basis. He'll be an unrestricted free agent, but the Nuggets have a chance at retaining his services as long as the price is right.

. . . He wants to be with a winner and with a franchise headed in a contending direction. Despite a first-round exit, both of those things exist in Denver, along with the ability to get a fifth contract year on a new extension with the Nuggets, something he could not get with any other team under the new collective bargaining agreement.

Denver Nuggets in good shape for free agency, fiscally speaking - The Denver Post

From his exit interview:

Will how these playoffs played out give you less hope of success in Denver?

"It doesn't give me less hope," said Iguodala. "Especially considering we had our leading scorer down [Danilo Gallinari] and our youth - they have nowhere to go but up."

Specifically with how the playoffs unfolded, less hope for you?

"I don't think so," said Iguodala. "I know what type of potential this team has; so that won't weigh heavily on my decision."

What factors will weigh into your potential free agent decisions this off-season?

"The timeline of my career," said Iguodala. "I definitely want to win a championship. The front office knows what I bring to the team, so we'll see what happens. There are so many factors that I haven't even thought of yet. Which is why I'll just sit down and weigh all my options, take my time with it, and not rush into anything."

Can the Nuggets win a title with you?

"I think we have the opportunity," said Iguodala. "We have some ingredients and I think the pieces that are missing - Masai [Ujiri] has found a way to bring that in. I think that started with bringing me here. He's really hungry, Coach [George] Karl is hungry, and we have a lot of hungry players as well."

Andre Iguodala Talks About His Future

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AI's best bet is to resign with Denver. I dont see too many teams shelling out big bucks for him when Matt Barnes can be had for less money. If he had a better offensive game he could command top dollar. He would be a nice piece for Houston but who would sit out? He would be a great piece for the Lakers if they sign Howard. If Memphis could somehow swing it that would be a great spot too.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually thinking Memphis, too, but forgot to put it in the OP.

I'd like to see him in LA, obviously, just don't think it's feasible without LA giving up Pau Gasol, whom I really like still, and I think Pau's expiring deal could fetch more for the Lakers anyway.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take the 16 mil and enter FA next year. He's not gonna command a salary that high anywhere else so I'd take the money and bank on staying healthy another year in Denver and sign a contract next year (which will probably similar to what he makes this year anyway). I wouldn't go chasing title just yet. This is his last chance to rake in cash because once his next contract is up, he may still be a servicable player but his age will only get him minimal length deals. My guess is his agents tell him he may be more "in demand" this year since the FA class could be pretty sparse, especially if Howard and CP3 stay put.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stay in Denver, if he's smart.

Unless he thinks some dumbass team would give him a max deal. If that's the case, then take the money and go! It's not like he's a first, or even second option on a championship caliber team anyways.