• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What putter do you use?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walked into a golf shop about 10 years ago and told them I wanted to replace my cruddy old putter with something heavier and I really didn't want to spend a bunch of $$$ since I'm a high handicap (bogey golfer) and only play 10-15 times most summers.

I said that my budget was $100 or less and I wanted a straight, center shaft, no offsets, non goofy looking putter and he picked out 3 or 4 from the rack and brought me over to their putting green. He hands me the first one and I knock down a 12 footer on the first try. He rolls the ball back to me and I sink another one from the same distance and he laughs and says "I got you".

He did get me, I bought the putter for $100 and I like it a lot.

1012903-aaa.jpg
I want to try the PING Vault 2.0 Dale Anser putter

I like their stuff.

1000000019367_Dale-Stealth-1.png

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of you who haven't tried a face-balanced putter should give it a try.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of you who haven't tried a face-balanced putter should give it a try.

I'm going to join a club this year and resume my quest to break 80. I came close a coupe of years ago when I joined a CC and played at least once a week, twice most weeks.

My kids bought me an Epic Flash driver for Christmas and I'm getting my irons and putter re-gripped as well as buying a better SW.

I'm gonna do it!

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to join a club this year and resume my quest to break 80. I came close a coupe of years ago when I joined a CC and played at least once a week, twice most weeks.

My kids bought me an Epic Flash driver for Christmas and I'm getting my irons and putter re-gripped as well as buying a better SW.

I'm gonna do it!

If it's a private club they usually do applications in Jan/Feb. They also usually require sponsors so you should look into it soon.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's a private club they usually do applications in Jan/Feb. They also usually require sponsors so you should look into it soon.

I have two in mind and neither are private. One costs about 1K and I know the club pro and he said he would waive the initiation fee if I wanted to join. I know several members really well so I would have playing partners right from the start. It's only 3 miles from my place, but it's only a 9 hole track. It's pretty flat and wide open with small, tricky greens.

The other option I'm contemplating is to go back to Canterbury Woods CC where I was a member 2 years ago. $500 more and 25 miles north, but a really nice 18 hole course that I know very well and is typically in terrific condition. I would also get to work on hitting from every manner of crooked lie because it is hilly as fuck!

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have two in mind and neither are private. One costs about 1K and I know the club pro and he said he would waive the initiation fee if I wanted to join. I know several members really well so I would have playing partners right from the start. It's only 3 miles from my place, but it's only a 9 hole track. It's pretty flat and wide open with small, tricky greens.

The other option I'm contemplating is to go back to Canterbury Woods CC where I was a member 2 years ago. $500 more and 25 miles north, but a really nice 18 hole course that I know very well and is typically in terrific condition. I would also get to work on hitting from every manner of crooked lie because it is hilly as fuck!
Should increase your chances of breaking 80.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should increase your chances of breaking 80.

I shot an 80 at Canterbury CC two summers ago when I was playing a lot. Blasted a bunker shot 60-70 feet to 3 feet on 18 and lipped out the birdie putt that would have given me 79 :gaah:

My buddy shot a 73 that day :mad2:

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh man, what a tough choice. 25Mi makes it hard shoot out to the course but yeah, you can't play 18 on a 9 hole track....just 9 holes twice.

Fortunately, my private club is 6 miles and we're rural enough that fees are only $2400.00.

Fucking night and day at a private course....I don't think I could ever go back!

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man, what a tough choice. 25Mi makes it hard shoot out to the course but yeah, you can't play 18 on a 9 hole track....just 9 holes twice.

Fortunately, my private club is 6 miles and we're rural enough that fees are only $2400.00.

Fucking night and day at a private course....I don't think I could ever go back!

A half hour ride up 93N is easy enough and $1,400+- is at the high end of price range. I don't think I'd play enough to justify $2,500.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A half hour ride up 93N is easy enough and $1,400+- is at the high end of price range. I don't think I'd play enough to justify $2,500.

Well ya know it's really not about getting your money's worth so much as the experience.

1) We have no tee times and don't need them. Show up, put a ball in the ground and hit it. At prime time I might see 2 or 3 carts on the first tee. The majority of the time me and my buddy have the place to ourselves. We can start and stop on any holes we please. I can't tell you how many times on weekday afternoons that we're virtually the only ones on the course.

2) The course conditioning is beyond amazing. You don't search around for a nice flat lie on the tees 'cause they all look like pool tables. The greens are super fast and true. When a hole gets renovated, they spend many thousands doing the job right.

3) There are virtually no assholes and especially punk douchers who show up to ride the carts and drink beer.

It just makes the whole experience a higher level affair.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ya know it's really not about getting your money's worth so much as the experience.

1) We have no tee times and don't need them. Show up, put a ball in the ground and hit it. At prime time I might see 2 or 3 carts on the first tee. The majority of the time me and my buddy have the place to ourselves. We can start and stop on any holes we please. I can't tell you how many times on weekday afternoons that we're virtually the only ones on the course.

2) The course conditioning is beyond amazing. You don't search around for a nice flat lie on the tees 'cause they all look like pool tables. The greens are super fast and true. When a hole gets renovated, they spend many thousands doing the job right.

3) There are virtually no assholes and especially punk douchers who show up to ride the carts and drink beer.

It just makes the whole experience a higher level affair.

Value is pretty important to me. I also like to get out to play a few other courses that I enjoy so I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

If $2,500 was in my wheelhouse I'd join Stonebridge CC in Goffstown. Beautiful course with great conditions about 10 miles up the road. Front 9 is pretty fair, but the back is a bitch. I can't tell you how many times I've gone out in 40 and came back in with 50 or more and sat at the bar shaking my head.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well good luck with whichever you choose.

We look forward to your 79 report!

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two more pitches for a private club. An account and a true Club Championship with players.

I literally leave my wallet in the car and use the place like I own it. Gratuity is billed...you grab a beer from Paul and walk away from the bar. You snag a cold drink out of the cooler in the pro shop and nod to Marc who knows everyone. Oh, and we generally don't even check in with the pro shop. Unless you've got a guest, it's not expected. We can go off any tee as long as we're not cutting anyone.

The boys in the top flight shoot scores like Sloops. It's so much fun to watch and it lends a degree of legitimacy to the club, the staff and the superintendent. Your club is spoken about. When I played munis for all those years I was a top player; my 78s are quite pedestrian these days.

....shit, this is dangerous. I just got stitches out of my wrist this morning and I'm already psycho about golf. I usually try so hard to wait till at least late Feb!

ZDH8nQs.gif

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm back to thinking I need to upgrade my putter. I hate looking down at it when lining up my putt...

just a simple blade...I need to go play around with a couple different kinds.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walked into a Dick's a few years back and couldn't miss a putt with this fang. Dropped the $130.00 on it and walked out of the store. I've putted very well with it since. Like I said above, everyone should try a face balanced putter if they haven't yet.

wht-hot-rx-vline-fang-4_1.jpg

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walked into a Dick's a few years back and couldn't miss a putt with this fang. Dropped the $130.00 on it and walked out of the store. I've putted very well with it since. Like I said above, everyone should try a face balanced putter if they haven't yet.

wht-hot-rx-vline-fang-4_1.jpg
That's not a bad looking putter. A nice middle ground between my blade putter and something that is ridiculous like a Spider.

Going to stop at a golf shop tomorrow on my drive to NJ, see what they have

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying something different

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like my oddesey putter. Went through a fitting with my golf coach and he recommends taking a couple of inches off of it.