• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What putter do you use?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks @ATL96Steeler, I was blessed enough just to have started at a very young age, grew up on a golf course, and had a head pro who's primary focus was on his juniors. Golf is a hard sport at any level, it's all relative. The low handicapper experiences the same frustration level as the high handicapper. Both want to play perfect and keep improving, neither is ever the case consistently. I have way more respect for those golfers who pick the game up as an adult, kids can pick up anything rather quickly, adults don't have the time to do that.

@ill , you're correct in your assertion that an expensive putter won't fix your game, no piece of equipment can fix anyone's game, that's the Indian not the arrow as I call it. But with that said, equipment can enhance your game and limit mistakes or offer forgiveness if fitted properly, including putters. You mentioned that why would anyone have a putter fitted? The dispersion of a mishit putt causes both alignment issues and speed control issues. You said you suffer from both yes? Well it's no coincidence 9 out of the top 10 players in the world use a mallet. It's scientifically proven that a mallet offers better forgiveness. If you mishit a put just barely off center assuming you're aimed correctly, that's more than 8-10 inches in dispersion to your line on a 20 foot putt. That's a HUGE difference when you factor in a 2 foot putt versus a 3 putt for your comeback putt which can result in a three putt. On shorter putts its the difference between a lip out and a putt that curls in. All putters of varying degrees of loft and balance, why wouldn't you get a putter fitted to maximize your launch angle and reduce ball skid? Once again, you're blindly putting if you're just using what looks and feels good. Doesn't matter your skill level, a correctly fitted putter increases your odds of making putts that you'd otherwise miss from short range or leaving you longer come back putts from long range.

Well stated...good post.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an Odyssey 990. I like the weight and feel. I have started gripping lower on the shaft to prevent wobble on the back stroke.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks @ATL96Steeler, I was blessed enough just to have started at a very young age, grew up on a golf course, and had a head pro who's primary focus was on his juniors. Golf is a hard sport at any level, it's all relative. The low handicapper experiences the same frustration level as the high handicapper. Both want to play perfect and keep improving, neither is ever the case consistently. I have way more respect for those golfers who pick the game up as an adult, kids can pick up anything rather quickly, adults don't have the time to do that.

@ill , you're correct in your assertion that an expensive putter won't fix your game, no piece of equipment can fix anyone's game, that's the Indian not the arrow as I call it. But with that said, equipment can enhance your game and limit mistakes or offer forgiveness if fitted properly, including putters. You mentioned that why would anyone have a putter fitted? The dispersion of a mishit putt causes both alignment issues and speed control issues. You said you suffer from both yes? Well it's no coincidence 9 out of the top 10 players in the world use a mallet. It's scientifically proven that a mallet offers better forgiveness. If you mishit a put just barely off center assuming you're aimed correctly, that's more than 8-10 inches in dispersion to your line on a 20 foot putt. That's a HUGE difference when you factor in a 2 foot putt versus a 3 putt for your comeback putt which can result in a three putt. On shorter putts its the difference between a lip out and a putt that curls in. All putters of varying degrees of loft and balance, why wouldn't you get a putter fitted to maximize your launch angle and reduce ball skid? Once again, you're blindly putting if you're just using what looks and feels good. Doesn't matter your skill level, a correctly fitted putter increases your odds of making putts that you'd otherwise miss from short range or leaving you longer come back putts from long range.

Man I wish that I had that experience. I was 25 when the place I worked at had a company golf outing so I grabbed some set from somewhere and gave it a shot. Fell in love with the game on that very day 34 years ago! For a while I worked very hard at it but let's face it, I'm an 8 handicapper and that's not so bad. I usually break 80 a half dozen times a year and then stay drunk for a few days.

Sloops has to have a 6 in front of his score to get charged up! That was fun playing with our pro the other day. He had a 66 goin' till the last two holes.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SIK-FLO-Putter_960.jpg

SIK-Golf-Flo-Putter-2.jpg

Started using this years before DeChambeau did. Went and had mine fitted from the founders of SIK in their Orlando studio. Hands down the best putter you’ll put in your hands. Pretty pricey as they use the most expensive metal to make these but well worth it. My best friend stole mine and won a Web.com event the first week he used it.

I myself don't like this type of putter .... it had an unnatural feel when I tried a similar one like this.

But I would be willing to bet that people who use this type have the putt aligned correctly more often because of the advantage a longer center line gives you.

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I wish that I had that experience. I was 25 when the place I worked at had a company golf outing so I grabbed some set from somewhere and gave it a shot. Fell in love with the game on that very day 34 years ago! For a while I worked very hard at it but let's face it, I'm an 8 handicapper and that's not so bad. I usually break 80 a half dozen times a year and then stay drunk for a few days.

Sloops has to have a 6 in front of his score to get charged up! That was fun playing with our pro the other day. He had a 66 goin' till the last two holes.

Lol, afraid those days are gone for me.

Not the getting drunk part.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, afraid those days are gone for me.

Not the getting drunk part.

Lol! The drunk part is that I'm so happy I broke 80!

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think an 8 handicapper puts you in the top 1% of golfers or something crazy like that? So that's awesome, to break 80 is hard and you can really enjoy golf at the level you're at. I'm always perplexed how people pick up the game in their 20's, there's just so much to learn and rarely do people get the proper instruction they need. But golf can be enjoyed at any skill level, the more you play the more you realize it's more about the company you meet and the places golf takes you.

Like your pro, I still struggle when I start going under par. If I hit 4 o4 5 under I start thinking low 60's. I've had one 64 and three 65's. Most of the time though I'll get way under and then bogey or double a few holes because my mind starts racing. See, we all go through the same shit. It's just like the guy who's never broken 100, 90, or 80. You get into unfamiliar territory and the pressure mounts lol.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I myself don't like this type of putter .... it had an unnatural feel when I tried a similar one like this.

But I would be willing to bet that people who use this type have the putt aligned correctly more often because of the advantage a longer center line gives you.

Honestly I don't even think I use the line on the putter. I used to just use the line a drew on my ball. But more and more these days I've been placing the ball down so it shows ALL white, no lines. I just use feel and trust my alignment. I get too obsessed with the lines on the putter or ball and trying to get it started on that line. More and more I've learned putting is more speed. You have good speed such as foot past speed, and the more you get the ball to the hole and make more putts.

As for my putter though, this SIK is balanced and weighted like no other putter you've ever tried. It's much heavier and has a really soft face, it also has no side spin patent in the grooves. It's so freaking solid, I just have to pull the trigger and the ball is getting to the hole.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think an 8 handicapper puts you in the top 1% of golfers or something crazy like that? So that's awesome, to break 80 is hard and you can really enjoy golf at the level you're at. I'm always perplexed how people pick up the game in their 20's, there's just so much to learn and rarely do people get the proper instruction they need. But golf can be enjoyed at any skill level, the more you play the more you realize it's more about the company you meet and the places golf takes you.

Like your pro, I still struggle when I start going under par. If I hit 4 o4 5 under I start thinking low 60's. I've had one 64 and three 65's. Most of the time though I'll get way under and then bogey or double a few holes because my mind starts racing. See, we all go through the same shit. It's just like the guy who's never broken 100, 90, or 80. You get into unfamiliar territory and the pressure mounts lol.

Yup, he bladed his approach and three-tapped 17. Then I noticed that he took a 3 wood out on 18 but blocked it out behind a small pine and had to pitch the ball over the tree resulting in another bogey. Holding into a score is tough at all levels.

Honestly I don't even think I use the line on the putter. I used to just use the line a drew on my ball. But more and more these days I've been placing the ball down so it shows ALL white, no lines. I just use feel and trust my alignment. I get too obsessed with the lines on the putter or ball and trying to get it started on that line. More and more I've learned putting is more speed. You have good speed such as foot past speed, and the more you get the ball to the hole and make more putts.

As for my putter though, this SIK is balanced and weighted like no other putter you've ever tried. It's much heavier and has a really soft face, it also has no side spin patent in the grooves. It's so freaking solid, I just have to pull the trigger and the ball is getting to the hole.

I've always done that. Tried the alignment line but it always fucked me up.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first advice I'd give anyone with a supersized moose cock putter grip is to cut the fucking thing off.

I like mine... it doubles as a fungo bat.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuc…left knee is toast, can't make the full hip turn anymore w/o major surgery.

i quit.

FOR SALE:

25K worth of clubs-n-gear and a whole lot more…will sell everything for 2K or OBO.

have your gal call mine.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball. One of the balls fell out of mine a few years ago, but I still love the putter.

original-white-hot-2-bal-putter-56a3d6123df78cf7727f71ce.jpg

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuc…left knee is toast, can't make the full hip turn anymore w/o major surgery.

i quit.

FOR SALE:

25K worth of clubs-n-gear and a whole lot more…will sell everything for 2K or OBO.

have your gal call mine.
25K? GTFO of here. Did you buy your own golf cart or 5?

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never understood the physics surrounding the ball skidding off the putter face.

What difference does it make if the ball skids a bit or starts rolling immediately ? The inertia and direction is equal in both cases.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walked into a golf shop about 10 years ago and told them I wanted to replace my cruddy old putter with something heavier and I really didn't want to spend a bunch of $$$ since I'm a high handicap (bogey golfer) and only play 10-15 times most summers.

I said that my budget was $100 or less and I wanted a straight, center shaft, no offsets, non goofy looking putter and he picked out 3 or 4 from the rack and brought me over to their putting green. He hands me the first one and I knock down a 12 footer on the first try. He rolls the ball back to me and I sink another one from the same distance and he laughs and says "I got you".

He did get me, I bought the putter for $100 and I like it a lot.

1012903-aaa.jpg

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I picked up my face balanced odyssy two years ago in a Dick's store. I rolled about a dozen 10 footers in a row and walked out with the thing.

Prolly shaved at least a coupla strokes off a round.

I make way more short putts. If I remember two things on the short ones I sink 'em. Make a shoulder turn and keep the stroke short. When I get handsy and let the stroke get a tad too long, I miss 'em.