• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What position would you make elite?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On this team.

You can take any position including QB but some might consider Russ borderline elite so thus it's wasted.

I think I would take G at this point. Sweezy is probably the weakest on our line and Carpenter is okay but moving him to RG and plugging in a Steve Hutchinson type would be BRUTAL for opposing Ds. I feel like even if we got an elite TE, the TE would still be asked to block a lot.

Assume you draft this player next year and he just KILLS it (auto ROY/just that rare type player) and for xyz reasons they end up starting. Assume whatever position you pick is replaced by a non-guaranteed deal for whatever player (i.e if you want QB elite and don't like Russ, we could not have a cap impact due to any incoming contract).

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR, with someone out there who can consistently get open it would open so much more of the offense.

This would force double teams on that player and allow someone 1 on 1 with a LB and ALSO keep them from stacking the box or spying all that much. It would handcuff most teams.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also say WR

There were many instances today where Russell dropped back and had plenty of time to throw the ball but couldn't find an open WR

Sure it would be great to acquire a Steve Hutchinson or Walter Jones on the team, but imagine having a Calvin Johnson lined up on the outside

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah I do agree with you guys on the WR. Wilson was sitting there for like 6 seconds with nobody getting open. Also noticed on some camera angles behind him that our receivers kind of stand around sometimes. Also noticed that on one play Norwood (or Lockette) had like NO ability to cut across the field. It looked like the easier person to cover ever. Baldwin has a lot of shift and QUICK cuts to him, which is why he's getting the ball so much.

I just salivate at the prospect of Lynch running behind Okung/Unger/Hutchinson type with Carpenter on the RG. :gaah:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah I do agree with you guys on the WR. Wilson was sitting there for like 6 seconds with nobody getting open. Also noticed on some camera angles behind him that our receivers kind of stand around sometimes. Also noticed that on one play Norwood (or Lockette) had like NO ability to cut across the field. It looked like the easier person to cover ever. Baldwin has a lot of shift and QUICK cuts to him, which is why he's getting the ball so much.

I just salivate at the prospect of Lynch running behind Okung/Unger/Hutchinson type with Carpenter on the RG. :gaah:

You hear from the players that they work on the scramble drill a lot in practice. They're constantly just trying to draw the defense back for the Wilson roll-out so he can either make a low risk pass on the run or take the yardage with his feet. It obviously doesn't work. It seemed like they dropped that early though and let Wilson do his thing and the results speak for themselves. That's been my gripe all year. Just let him use the entire feel and get into a rhythm and things will be fine.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hear from the players that they work on the scramble drill a lot in practice. They're constantly just trying to draw the defense back for the Wilson roll-out so he can either make a low risk pass on the run or take the yardage with his feet. It obviously doesn't work. It seemed like they dropped that early though and let Wilson do his thing and the results speak for themselves. That's been my gripe all year. Just let him use the entire feel and get into a rhythm and things will be fine.
Part of that is Pete and company getting a feel for what the defense can do early in the game. They are trying to see how they react to certain sets, audibles, etc. What Russ needs to do more in those situations is throw it away if the initial routes aren't there. He is great at making something out of nothing, but sometimes the best thing is to just throw it away and not take a sack. I do like his scrambles and agree that he is at his best when he has that freedom, but I also think the knowledge gained from the first half stuff that seems frustrating is so good for the adjustments later in the game.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me an elite OG like Hutchinson and this offense becomes really nasty.

But besides that, an elite TE like Gronkowski would be a nice touch, and so would an elite DE like JJ Watt.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pass rusher

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the offensive line goes, I think we need elite health more than elite talent. Elite talent is nice, but if that talent can't stay on the field, it's not of much use to the team. The issue that has plagued this team the most dating back to the end of the Holmgren era is offensive line health. I think 2005 might have been the last time we had a reasonably healthy offensive line. It's been one game of musical linemen after another since then. That will take a toll on your passing game and it has in the case of the Seahawks. I know people get on the receivers for not getting separation more often, but I have to think that having to look over your shoulder fairly often to see if you need to cut off your route and run the scramble drill stops these guys from getting more separation sometimes. I think better pass protection would result in better separation from these guys. Maybe not significantly better, but better.

So I say it'd be nice to have an elite left guard to put next to Okung, but given our situation on the line for about the last decade, asking for anything more than a healthy group of linemen might be asking for too much.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have been someone that has pointed out our Lack of a pass rush many times. I have thrown stats up to show just how poor we really are, but even after that i believe a Elite WR who can not be covered 1 on 1 would do more for this team right now than a Elite Pass rusher. The Defense is clicking and only giving up a little over 13 points per game the last 7 games. Meaning with a little more offensive Pop this team would be even harder to stop.

Last game showed that this oline is capable in giving Wilson time to throw, that was one of the NFL's strongest defensive fronts that they kept off Wilson and gave him massive time to throw on many occasions. Just think what the score would have been had Wilson had just 1 Elite WR with that amount of time to throw lol.