• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What position should we draft early.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Pace picks standing up.

Liked his answer in the presser today, he usually pulls on Best Player Available rather than reaching for a player in a position of need. Don't believe the Bears will be trading up for either Winston or mariota.... And the next best QB is a huge reach at 7.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see us build around a strong line, on both sides of the ball. So I'm hoping for DE & OT.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Wood, as the member of this board probably most in agreement about you about Cutler, let me point something out. If the Bears don't move Cutler by day 3 of the new league year, he is probably not going anywhere due to his cap hit. If Cutler isn't moved, he is starting, period. And if he is starting, you don't burn your #1 pick on a QB. The Bears are already investing 20% of their salary cap on the QB position, you don't then throw the most prized asset the organization has (this year's #1) pick into the position as well. They don't both play, you can't keep increasing the franchise's resources into one position that cannot be played by two guys.

We are already using too much on QB, spending more isn't logical.

If they get rid of Cutler, as I somehow hope they will, then maybe you have a point....IF the QB prospects warrant it. But if Cutler is here, no way should they do that.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Pace picks standing up.

Liked his answer in the presser today, he usually pulls on Best Player Available rather than reaching for a player in a position of need. Don't believe the Bears will be trading up for either Winston or mariota.... And the next best QB is a huge reach at 7.

Neither Marital or Winston is the answer for this team

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wood, as the member of this board probably most in agreement about you about Cutler, let me point something out. If the Bears don't move Cutler by day 3 of the new league year, he is probably not going anywhere due to his cap hit. If Cutler isn't moved, he is starting, period. And if he is starting, you don't burn your #1 pick on a QB. The Bears are already investing 20% of their salary cap on the QB position, you don't then throw the most prized asset the organization has (this year's #1) pick into the position as well. They don't both play, you can't keep increasing the franchise's resources into one position that cannot be played by two guys.

We are already using too much on QB, spending more isn't logical.

If they get rid of Cutler, as I somehow hope they will, then maybe you have a point....IF the QB prospects warrant it. But if Cutler is here, no way should they do that.

With this new rookie scale, last years 7th pick was 4 year 14.7 million, mike evans Tampa Bay. Fuller, chosen 14th was 9.8 over 4 years. If we trade down to the 22 to get hundley, its about 2.5 per year.

I think the biggest mistake we can make is picking a quarterback number 1 and expecting him to start. We are picking a quarterback to start next year or in two years when cutlers guaranteed numbers are done. We can get Hundley around there and not force him to play immediately. Winston can also drop to Manziel territory to teams that are concerned about the off field distraction. You are only talking about parking a QB on the bench at 2-3.5 million per year. We spent far more on underperforming players.

We should take an OT at 7 and trade our second pick up to get late in the first to get Hundley or Winston if he is still there.

IF we somehow talk Tampa out of the first pick, you are looking at 6 million per year. No more massive signing bonus dollars. The other thing you look at is not expecting this team to be this bad for a long time, which means more late first round picks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this new rookie scale, last years 7th pick was 4 year 14.7 million, mike evans Tampa Bay. Fuller, chosen 14th was 9.8 over 4 years. If we trade down to the 22 to get hundley, its about 2.5 per year.

I think the biggest mistake we can make is picking a quarterback number 1 and expecting him to start. We are picking a quarterback to start next year or in two years when cutlers guaranteed numbers are done. We can get Hundley around there and not force him to play immediately. Winston can also drop to Manziel territory to teams that are concerned about the off field distraction. You are only talking about parking a QB on the bench at 2-3.5 million per year. We spent far more on underperforming players.

We should take an OT at 7 and trade our second pick up to get late in the first to get Hundley or Winston if he is still there.

IF we somehow talk Tampa out of the first pick, you are looking at 6 million per year. No more massive signing bonus dollars. The other thing you look at is not expecting this team to be this bad for a long time, which means more late first round picks.

I'm only asking... I have no idea how good next year's draft is or how deep this year's is. But instead of trading up from the second round back into the late first, why not trade down from the no. 7 down to the late first and either pick up some more early to mid round picks this year or another future first round pick? I see a lot of LBs and OTs who also seem to be tagged as first rounders now... maybe this is a good year to trade down if someone falls in love with whoever falls to 7.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither Marital or Winston is the answer for this team

They may not be the answer,but they are more of an answer than JC...........

We need a lot help on the defensive side of ball. This we all know.

It does sound like we are gonna cut BM which would be another position we need to fill.This is a dumb move.
The offensive side of the ball sputtered if you ask me.
Why is that?
All I ever heard from all the posters is Cutler needs this,Cutler needs that.........Well he got every damn position filled.We have a top 3 rb.We have a top 10 te,we have 2 great pro bowl wrs,we added to the o-line,and this got us where?...............21st in total yards and 23rd in total points.

This is so far unacceptable its not funny.

You guys have lobbied him as the best qb this team has ever had and I lmao so many times I couldn`t laugh anymore with out shaking my head.That was just numb skulling stupid.

I said at the begining of the season that if JC didn`t produce he had to be ran out of town.........Now its time for him to go. The only thing Jay did that I was wrong about,I said he`d be hurt and miss a few games.............I was wrong,sorry.

Now its time for you all to really understand its more Jay than anything else.

a better offense will make our de a little bettr..........Especially with all the injuries to that side of the ball........

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may not be the answer,but they are more of an answer than JC...........

We need a lot help on the defensive side of ball. This we all know.

It does sound like we are gonna cut BM which would be another position we need to fill.This is a dumb move.
The offensive side of the ball sputtered if you ask me.
Why is that?
All I ever heard from all the posters is Cutler needs this,Cutler needs that.........Well he got every damn position filled.We have a top 3 rb.We have a top 10 te,we have 2 great pro bowl wrs,we added to the o-line,and this got us where?...............21st in total yards and 23rd in total points.

This is so far unacceptable its not funny.

You guys have lobbied him as the best qb this team has ever had and I lmao so many times I couldn`t laugh anymore with out shaking my head.That was just numb skulling stupid.

I said at the begining of the season that if JC didn`t produce he had to be ran out of town.........Now its time for him to go. The only thing Jay did that I was wrong about,I said he`d be hurt and miss a few games.............I was wrong,sorry.

Now its time for you all to really understand its more Jay than anything else.

a better offense will make our de a little bettr..........Especially with all the injuries to that side of the ball........

I see where you are coming from, but since we are stuck with jay for a while, we should probably use this time to rebuild the defense and Oline. We already know we won't contend for a while. There's no reason to sell out to get a QB in this draft. If Mariota were a once in a decade prospect, like Andrew luck, I would agree, but he's not. He's a run of the mill top 10 pick at QB. He could be great or he could be terrible and anywhere inbetween. If you remember, Jay Cutler was a top ten pick as well. I think if he's there at 7, we should definitely try to get him, but if we have to pay a significant price to move up and get him, I'd say no way. Pace and the front office should look at this as an opportunity to build the team while we stink.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Cutler isn't the problem. He doesn't need anything but a good offensive game plan. Tired of trying to fix him when all you need to do is let him play.

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Cutler isn't the problem. He doesn't need anything but a good offensive game plan. Tired of trying to fix him when all you need to do is let him play.
I've been solidly in Cutler's corner for a long while, but I'm not about to suggest he didn't regress last season.

Some of that can be put on Trestman, sure. But he owns plenty of the blame for it too.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way the new GM pulls a draft down... I think he's out to grab a statement player, not go down in the draft. We won't get either of Winston or Mariota and Hundley will be gone before our second round pick. Not a good year to be picking a QB.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm only asking... I have no idea how good next year's draft is or how deep this year's is. But instead of trading up from the second round back into the late first, why not trade down from the no. 7 down to the late first and either pick up some more early to mid round picks this year or another future first round pick? I see a lot of LBs and OTs who also seem to be tagged as first rounders now... maybe this is a good year to trade down if someone falls in love with whoever falls to 7.

I think earlier in the week I thought trading down was the way to go, getting in the 20's and maybe picking up another second. Its just crucial that the new GM starts with a bang, and there might be a bang at #7 like a decade long OT. How many times have we pinned Emery to Shea. Its easy to say we need quantity to find some diamonds and have a better chance of winning on draft day, but if your top guy is there at 7 I want him to jump all over him and have no reason to explain the pick.

What I remember most about Angelo was being trade happy. Seemed he would never be satisfied with a pick, he wanted to move and pick up more late round choices.

What I remember with Emery is Shea and his second to fourth round total misses. After studying his improvement, he was really getting better, but you gotta search to find the gems.

Latest eligible names have Peat a top rated OT. Also declaring Collins, the 6'2 CB from LSU ranked as the #6 prospect in the draft. Not 6th ranked CB, but 6th overall. A chance for getting those bookend CB's that can cover receivers 1 on 1, slam Jennings to the nickel where he belongs open up alot of options for your front 7. Those are two game changing current players that probably take over day 1. Peat may even push Bushrod to the right, although the bears will probably let him develop on the right.

You get a chance at either of those, or Mariota, no chance to trade down. There are probably other players about to commit too. But if you have Hundley as your choice at QB, are willing to let him sit for two years, I think you can trade down and get him and an extra guy.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah you`re right.............I`ve never seen him get the chance either.
Hopefully he starts all 16 games next season instead of 15 because of getting benched for incompetency.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully he starts all 16 games next season instead of 15 because of getting benched for incompetency.

Yeah because Jay never had great games during his years here. Jay never won a single game for this team. Jay never took a beating and still played hard for this team. He should of not been benched....obviously Trestman wasn't the genius you made him out to be. Go back and look at the games Jay played good to great in, those are games that are more indicative of how he can play. Of course any qbs you bring in will be better.LMFAO love to see you or any of the know it alls on here be a GM or head coach one day, none of you would last a full season.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you think he was benched for incompetency you're an idiot. You bought exactly what Tresty and Kromer wanted you to. That it was all Jay's fault, "look it's NOT us, it's Jay!! Our offense is great!!"

Did you know that Jay had very similar stats when the Bears traded for him? 25td's 18 int. Was enough for a probowl, 2 first round picks and Kyle Orton. But now 28/18 is "we need to get rid of him- without any replacement?
If that's what you think, than maybe we should have kept Tresty/Emery/Kromer? No?
It's all BS.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think he was benched for incompetency you're an idiot. You bought exactly what Tresty and Kromer wanted you to. That it was all Jay's fault, "look it's NOT us, it's Jay!! Our offense is great!!"

Did you know that Jay had very similar stats when the Bears traded for him? 25td's 18 int. Was enough for a probowl, 2 first round picks and Kyle Orton. But now 28/18 is "we need to get rid of him- without any replacement?
If that's what you think, than maybe we should have kept Tresty/Emery/Kromer? No?
It's all BS.

Maybe eventually Kromer will get a new job, then his loose lips will actually say why Cutler was benched. Somehow, Claussen played one game against Detroits fearsome run defense. Somehow Forte still got 19 carries still had 6 receptions. Somehow still got almost 100 all purpose yards. I dont think I am the only one that figures if Jay played that game Forte would have had 5 rushes, the lions would have been able to put their bibs on and feast on a one dimensiona quarterback. By watching Claussen NOT audible out of every run, it tells you that trestman was not the guy changing the play at the line and calling a bad audible.

Mind you, there are people in the room that already thought Trestman was told he was gonna coach out the season and be fired, so there was no great effort to save his job.

I dont think Jay is going anywhere over the next two years, but when the guaranteed portion of this deal is done, and we still have not made any playoff runs, you need to have someone ready to play. I think our honest best case scenario right now is Tampa drafts Mariota, cuts McCown, he comes back to carry Jays jock. High round drafted third string QB sits and learns from McCown.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCown........yeah what a great qb. Got lufly when he was here and showed his true colors in Tampa and yet you still locked on his nuts......Lmfao

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah because Jay never had great games during his years here. Jay never won a single game for this team. Jay never took a beating and still played hard for this team. He should of not been benched....obviously Trestman wasn't the genius you made him out to be. Go back and look at the games Jay played good to great in, those are games that are more indicative of how he can play. Of course any qbs you bring in will be better.LMFAO love to see you or any of the know it alls on here be a GM or head coach one day, none of you would last a full season.

I`ve seen Sanchez have great games......mcCown,Mettenberg,Kaepernick and so on..............So you think they have plenty of potential cause the coaching sucks?

Is that what your saying?

All players play hard.....if you don`t,you won`t have a job........and I never said Jay was a quitter.........just a whining pussy that is not what you think he is.And what he is "Is not a great qb".

He always throws those critical interceptions in the most critical points of game..........if you don`t believe that,then you must not be watching the games.

now,any qb I bring in?..........How in hell would I know if mariota would be any good or better than Jay?..........I`m guessing about as much as you would know he wouldn`t.

I`ve also heard all these excuses you guys have brought up on positions we need to fill for him to be this great qb....Well these so-called excuses have ran out.
Now you wanna blame it on the coaching....again?
oh and also he never gets the chance..........ok (rolling my eyes)