• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is Pass interference?

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the kid mero crying GIF by Desus & Mero

K.....

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you are saying, but making it a spot foul is a better rule. Otherwise, committing a penalty would effectively be a reward for the defense because it would save them a ton of yards. Instead of allowing a catch at the 5 yard line, the ball goes back to the 50, for example. It would be like when a cornerback gets beaten on a move and he pulls on the WR's jersey to keep him from getting open deep before the ball is thrown. It's just a 5 yard holding penalty, which seems unjust when the play was about to be a TD.

Yeah...I imagine at the end of a game a team is at their own 45 yard line and they throw a bomb....DB is beat and it's gonna be a sure game winning touchdown so the beat DB or safety that is trying to come over to help just tackles the receiver before the ball is there instead. Offense keeps the ball but only moves up to the opposing teams 45? Not even close enough to kick a field goal after an egregious penalty.

That would be bad. But hey....bad officiating is what makes sports exciting, right?

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A defender can create a little bit of contact with a WR from behind because the refs know that he has a right to his space and it is the offensive player running into the defender's space that is creating the contact more often than not.

LOL......Claypool didn't run into anyone's space on that play though. Thanks for admitting you haven't even watched the actual play. He's running step for step with the DB....and he isn't the one creating contact.

Thanks for idiotsplaining the rule to me though. It was extremely helpful.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive holding is much more subject to the refs discretion and error than PI imo. But we just don't see all of those missed calls.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you are saying, but making it a spot foul is a better rule. Otherwise, committing a penalty would effectively be a reward for the defense because it would save them a ton of yards. Instead of allowing a catch at the 5 yard line, the ball goes back to the 50, for example. It would be like when a cornerback gets beaten on a move and he pulls on the WR's jersey to keep him from getting open deep before the ball is thrown. It's just a 5 yard holding penalty, which seems unjust when the play was about to be a TD.

why are we all so focused on the potential unfairness that the defense can take advantage of, when we already have a system that the offense takes advantage of...

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why are we all so focused on the potential unfairness that the defense can take advantage of, when we already have a system that the offense takes advantage of...

You're right that the game is tilted for offense. However, this is a separate issue. This is about not allowing or incentivizing blatantly unfair play, especially in a late game situation as pointed out above by another poster. Think about it. Ball at midfield. A team is down by 3, the QB throws a long pass that the receiver is about to catch at the 5 yard line to score a TD or set up a FG, but instead, the CB intentionally commits PI and the ball only moves from the 50 yard line to the 35 yard line (if we limit the PI penalty to 15 yards). The defense would take that penalty every single time because in reality, it doesn't penalize them at all. It benefits them to take a PI in that situation.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right that the game is tilted for offense. However, this is a separate issue. This is about not allowing or incentivizing blatantly unfair play, especially in a late game situation as pointed out above by another poster. Think about it. Ball at midfield. A team is down by 3, the QB throws a long pass that the receiver is about to catch at the 5 yard line to score a TD or set up a FG, but instead, the CB intentionally commits PI and the ball only moves from the 50 yard line to the 35 yard line (if we limit the PI penalty to 15 yards). The defense would take that penalty every single time because in reality, it doesn't penalize them at all. It benefits them to take a PI in that situation.
That's one side of it. The other side is that in a lot of cases it is suspect that the WR could have caught the ball. Another side is in a lot of cases it's the WR causing the contact. This becomes really apparent on balls thrown short.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right that the game is tilted for offense. However, this is a separate issue. This is about not allowing or incentivizing blatantly unfair play, especially in a late game situation as pointed out above by another poster. Think about it. Ball at midfield. A team is down by 3, the QB throws a long pass that the receiver is about to catch at the 5 yard line to score a TD or set up a FG, but instead, the CB intentionally commits PI and the ball only moves from the 50 yard line to the 35 yard line (if we limit the PI penalty to 15 yards).

I would assume if they ever change the rule, which i do think will happen soon, there will be enough definition built into the rule that defenses cant take advantage and ruin the game on their side....

Thats why i think there will be 2 different types of PI... and there will be enough of a definition of both types that it wont be subjective... or at least any more subjective than any other penalty call...

But again, offenses take advantage of the current rule... i mean, how often do you hear a team say, just bomb the ball, and hope for a penalty... really it happens too often...

and before we say there cant be two rules... there are two rules in other penalties including roughing the kicker/punter... there is a 5 yard and theres a 15 yard....

Last edited:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No contact rule, DPI’s drive me mad.. NFL only wants more offense making these rules so tick tack … Eliminate the no contact rule, allow DB’s to put feelers out and have some contact, throw the flag if they hook or grab or impede a route obviously… That alone would make the game so much funner to watch…

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would assume if they ever change the rule, which i do think will happen soon, there will be enough definition built into the rule that defenses cant take advantage and ruin the game on their side....

Thats why i think there will be 2 different types of PI... and there will be enough of a definition of both types that it wont be subjective... or at least any more subjective than any other penalty call...

But again, offenses take advantage of the current rule... i mean, how often do you hear a team say, just bomb the ball, and hope for a penalty... really it happens too often...

and before we say there cant be two rules... there are two rules in other penalties including roughing the kicker/punter... there is a 5 yard and theres a 15 yard....

I hear you. In those situations, I just hope the refs don't call it unless it's blatant. It's like foul hunting in the NBA, and I'm glad that the NBA took steps to address it.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It often depends on the player and team.

Soso DB on a sorry team can't even look at a WR, Great DB on a contender can mollywhop a WR and no whistle

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP is being a drama queen. No ref call has ever altered or determined an outcome. If one ref call costs you a game then you didn't play good enough to win the game. Blaming refs is a bitch move.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP is being a drama queen. No ref call has ever altered or determined an outcome. If one ref call costs you a game then you didn't play good enough to win the game. Blaming refs is a bitch move.
There has been plenty of games lost due to bad calls.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It often depends on the player and team.

Soso DB on a sorry team can't even look at a WR, Great DB on a contender can mollywhop a WR and no whistle

I think the other bad examples are roughing the passer and offensive holding. If you have a popular, established QB, you'll get a lot of roughing the passer calls and your offensive line will be called for less holds.