• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is Pass interference?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ball is in the air....it's either PI or not. Illegal contact is when the QB still has the ball.

All 3 are called correctly.

On both Bears plays, the DB's are completely lost. No idea where the ball or WR is and both create significant contact. The Claypool one both the DB and the WR are just going up for a jump ball that they both are playing. Contact is absolutely minimal on the Claypool one. That doesnt get called as pass INT 95% of the time. Whereas the Bears on defense plays get called almost every time.

Ridiculous to think those 3 plays are the same thing. People are just being whiny homers.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my problem is not what is a PI... my problem is the deep PI, doesnt matter if it is blatant or not... it is a spot foul... and can change the drive too much... especially those 25+ yarders, and the ones that create first and goal....

I don't llke that either, but if it was just a 10 or 15 yarder you'd have guys routinely getting tackled on long routes before the ball gets there when they've beaten their man.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Claypool one both the DB and the WR are just going up for a jump ball that they both are playing.

The DB has his arms around the WRs waist before the ball is there. And is then pulling the WR backwards.

Ridiculous to think those 3 plays are the same thing. People are just being whiny homers.

Or people just want to see calls made consistently.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the rule states something about "significantly hindering" a player from making a catch. This doesn't appear to 'significantly' hinder Claypool, but maybe it should rather be called for illegal contact?

In any event... Welcome Bears fans to Chase Claypool, and his bizarre inability to make contested catches lol.

@thedddd @SteelersPride

That's only borderline PI, at best.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's only borderline PI, at best.

Probably. But two other easily borderline calls were made in the game earlier.

The frustration stems from it being called one way at one point of the game and then a whole different way later. And it happens around the league all the time.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasn't a spot foul and it was say 10 yards instead you would have DBs doing it on purpose when they are beat.

It's a spot foul for a reason.

im ok with having 2 types of PI... the BLATANT and the MINOR... we used to have something like this... but it can work now with instant replay and New York reviews...

Maybe send all PI to NY, let them decide the severity... as long as the severity has actual qualifications and not just subjective... If it is obvious that it would have been a catch, then sure, keep it as a spot foul... but i feel like most that we see are not that obvious...

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DB has his arms around the WRs waist before the ball is there. And is then pulling the WR backwards.

Or people just want to see calls made consistently.

Quit looking at stills and slow mo replays. That isn't how they make these calls.

Watch it in full speed. The contact is absolutely minimal and more importantly it is a complete hail mary, jump ball situation where the defender is in good position on the receivers back and not impeding him to the ball.

That is a play that is almost never is going to draw a flag.

On the other 2 plays the defenders are between the ball and the WR and create contact where the WR's have zero chance at the football because of the contact.

These plays arent even all that similar. Especially when you speed them up at regular speed. If Bears want the calls, tell your defenders to get in correct defending position. It is not a secret that PI is going to get called every time when the WR jumps back into a defender that is between him and the ball.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a bigger question, What happened to the rule they tried in 2019 that made no call pass interference a challengeable play? Too many challenges? Too many overturned calls? The owners chose not to keep it. It was first 28 minutes of each half was a challenge, last two minutes was handled by the booth.

I know Eddie Jackson got called earlier in the game that I agreed with, I am just thinking someone was barking on the sidelines and got the no call.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been saying this for a while.... it should be a 15 yard penalty like it is in NCAAF. If the refs are that inconsistent (hell even with the challenges they were getting it wrong) stop making it such a huge penalty.... but the NFL likes their offense because ratings and fantasy football dorks.... so more offense and scoring the better..... that's why they wont make the change and removed challenging DPI.

true, and it helps out the QBs with big arms more than anyone else....

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im ok with having 2 types of PI... the BLATANT and the MINOR... we used to have something like this... but it can work now with instant replay and New York reviews...

If you do that you're making a subjective judgement call even more subjective. How do you define blatant and minor? It would lead to even more questionable calls rather than fixing anything.
Maybe send all PI to NY, let them decide the severity... as long as the severity has actual qualifications and not just subjective... If it is obvious that it would have been a catch, then sure, keep it as a spot foul... but i feel like most that we see are not that obvious...

I think you put an official in the booth with immediate access to replays and a headset that talks directly to the head zebra. With the ability to reverse calls or fix calls not made.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All 3 are called correctly.

On both Bears plays, the DB's are completely lost. No idea where the ball or WR is and both create significant contact. The Claypool one both the DB and the WR are just going up for a jump ball that they both are playing. Contact is absolutely minimal on the Claypool one. That doesnt get called as pass INT 95% of the time. Whereas the Bears on defense plays get called almost every time.

The one on the left was a good call. But the one on the right was borderline also. #4 was looking back at the ball and it appeared that he was trying to make a play on it when the WR stopped & jumped and #4 bumped into him, while still looking and reaching towards the ball.

For what reason the WR stopped and turned towards the LOS is anyone's guess, because doing that was not going to put him closer to where the ball came down. In fact it did the opposite. A no call there would have been fine imo.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quit looking at stills and slow mo replays.

I watched the game live yesterday. It was PI when it was live. It's PI in every replay whether slowmo or live speed. It's PI in photos.

The announcers thought it was PI. The crowd did. The players did. Even Dolphins fans on Twitter thought it was.

But you don't so that should totally change my opinion of it.
That is a play that is almost never is going to draw a flag.

Horseshit. But go on.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you do that you're making a subjective judgement call even more subjective. How do you define blatant and minor? It would lead to even more questionable calls rather than fixing anything.

I think you put an official in the booth with immediate access to replays and a headset that talks directly to the head zebra. With the ability to reverse calls or fix calls not made.

i dont mind keeping the calls the refs make... sure they make mistakes often... but correcting them all the time is basically taking them out of the game... you wont need refs anymore...

And refs making mistakes is part of the fun of sports IMO...

also i like how you separated my post just so you can make a point... even though i covered what you said in my post...

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont mind keeping the calls the refs make... sure they make mistakes often... but correcting them all the time is basically taking them out of the game... you wont need refs anymore...

Mistakes are gonna happen. Human error. But how many games just in the last decade have been altered dramatically by bad calls or non-calls? Even playoff games. That can't be okay.
And refs making mistakes is part of the fun of sports IMO...

You have perverted definition of fun.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mistakes are gonna happen. Human error. But how many games just in the last decade have been altered dramatically by bad calls or non-calls? Even playoff games. That can't be okay.

You have perverted definition of fun.

have i?? the fact that we talk about the refs mistakes more than we do about anything else, makes it a POSITIVE thing... if you take away bad calls, then then all we will talk about is the game itself... and sure that sounds great... but i promise it will be boring very soon....

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're r#####, yes.

Oh no, the horror!

You're special.

anyone that thinks the refs need to call a perfect game all the time for the sport to be better is very wrong... them making mistakes is NEEDED for the sport to be exciting and great....

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the game live yesterday. It was PI when it was live. It's PI in every replay whether slowmo or live speed. It's PI in photos.

The announcers thought it was PI. The crowd did. The players did. Even Dolphins fans on Twitter thought it was.

But you don't so that should totally change my opinion of it.

Horseshit. But go on.

Again in case you missed it, the important part of those plays is defensive positioning.

A defender can create a little bit of contact with a WR from behind because the refs know that he has a right to his space and it is the offensive player running into the defender's space that is creating the contact more often than not.

Refs arent going to throw a flag if the defender is on the WR's back and the WR is able to freely extend his arms. That is just reality on how these bang-bang calls get made.

Yes if you slow it down, you can see contact that by the letter of the law is against the rules. But that isnt how they call the game. If they did take the time to slow down every play like that, we would have offsetting holding on the offense and then illegal contact/PI on the defense on every single play of every single game.

The fact that you cant understand the difference between the 3 plays and how radically different they are just shows you are only looking at this with homer glasses. Your team lost. Boo-hoo for you. Somebody get this guy his binky.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again in case you missed it, the important part of those plays is defensive positioning.

A defender can create a little bit of contact with a WR from behind because the refs know that he has a right to his space and it is the offensive player running into the defender's space that is creating the contact more often than not.

Refs arent going to throw a flag if the defender is on the WR's back and the WR is able to freely extend his arms. That is just reality on how these bang-bang calls get made.

Yes if you slow it down, you can see contact that by the letter of the law is against the rules. But that isnt how they call the game. If they did take the time to slow down every play like that, we would have offsetting holding on the offense and then illegal contact/PI on the defense on every single play of every single game.

The fact that you cant understand the difference between the 3 plays and how radically different they are just shows you are only looking at this with homer glasses. Your team lost. Boo-hoo for you. Somebody get this guy his binky.

Lol….that’s a lot of words to say absolutely nothing.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol….that’s a lot of words to say absolutely nothing.

the kid mero crying GIF by Desus & Mero

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my problem is not what is a PI... my problem is the deep PI, doesnt matter if it is blatant or not... it is a spot foul... and can change the drive too much... especially those 25+ yarders, and the ones that create first and goal....

I get what you are saying, but making it a spot foul is a better rule. Otherwise, committing a penalty would effectively be a reward for the defense because it would save them a ton of yards. Instead of allowing a catch at the 5 yard line, the ball goes back to the 50, for example. It would be like when a cornerback gets beaten on a move and he pulls on the WR's jersey to keep him from getting open deep before the ball is thrown. It's just a 5 yard holding penalty, which seems unjust when the play was about to be a TD.