• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is Marcus Mariota's NFL future?

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know exactly what uptempo is dipshit. Ability is the same as talent. You are starting to sound like a broken record. Like I say. Regurgitation. Keep it coming.

What was that about insults.lol. Read option, skill. Try looking those up also.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Futures: Fresno State QB Derek Carr

Carr’s spread offense doesn’t provide definitive answers, but it does offer worthwhile clues about his future transition. These indicators tell me Carr is not an instant star, but give him two to three years and he can be the quarterback a team can build around.

Does this sound familiar? Isn't this the same argument against MM?

Checkmate. The Carr/Mariota argument is relevant.

Does it say read option? Then no it's not the same. I'd say nice try but it wasn't.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it say read option? Then no it's not the same. I'd say nice try but it wasn't.
It doesn't matter if it said read option or not. I never said Carr played in a read option offense. I said that Carr and Mariota played in similar offenses and that the analysis on both was similar coming out of college. That is undeniable.
The fact that you continue to insert claims that I have not made into your argument speaks volumes. I'm done arguing with a brick wall.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what the read option is. And skill can be a byproduct of ability or talent. Again, broken record.

"Right now, franchises are asking that question about Mariota. They want him in a box. They need him in a box.

Prior to his combine workout, here is what teams are seeing inside that box: a spread system/read-option style quarterback who spent a large part of his career standing straight up in the shotgun. Fewer three-, five- and seven-step drops. A lot of first-read completions. Few third and fourth progression completions. Plenty of improvising. Not a great deal of living inside the pocket.

That sounds a lot like Kaepernick and Griffin. There are similarities (albeit fewer) to Manziel, too. In short, it's an ugly box at the moment."

See what happens if I look for an article also?lol.
Skill is acquired from repetition. Joe Montana didnt become what he was by just having ability. Tom Brady and Manning worked their asses off practicing they had to learn how to read defenses , call plays, establish protections , throw timing routes. Marcus ran a simplified offense where he didnt have to do what NFL offenses require a QB to do. He doesnt have those skills yet. Maybe he learns in a year maybe two maybe never gets it . But right now he doesn't have those skills.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone check Mariotas TD/int ratio for his CAREER. NFL is about decision making and being a leader, Mariota possess those tools and exceeds with those tools.

Dude is going to be legit.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone check Mariotas TD/int ratio for his CAREER. NFL is about decision making and being a leader, Mariota possess those tools and exceeds with those tools.

Jesus christ... you guys don't even read anyone else's points... at the end of the day you just go back to "he's the heisman" and didn't throw many interceptions. we all get it. No one who's skeptical about his future is unaware of the shit you endlessly repeat.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Marcus 42 TD and 4 INTs
Cody Kellser 39 TDs and 5 INTs

So you're saying Cody is right there huh. Legit too. He did that on a worse team. He must be first pick material. .

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus 42 TD and 4 INTs
Cody Kellser 39 TDs and 5 INTs

So you're saying Cody is right there huh. Legit too. He did that on a worse team. He must be first pick material. .

Impressive, but here's a difference...Marcus won and won a lot.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impressive, but here's a difference...Marcus won and won a lot.

Yeah? How ? Why? Cody only threw one more INt all year. according to raida since they have pretty much the same stats minus the running they are the same QBs

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just looking at the PAC titles, bcs bowls, Rose bowl wins, etc. that's on Mariotas resume btw.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just looking at the PAC titles, bcs bowls, Rose bowl wins, etc. that's on Mariotas resume btw.

But they had pretty much the same stats. Doesn't that just mean Marcus had a better team? Should Cody be held accountable if his defense couldnt make those stats hold up?

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus is a tough call for me.

He has a nice amount of talent, but my biggest problem is the pressure. Can he handle the pressure that a starting NFL QB receives in order to be successful? Can he throw from the pocket on 3rd and 6 or more (money downs for legit QBs) and make his team better?

I'm not sure he can.

And like RGIII and many other "dual-threat" "running QBs" have found, is that you have to win games from the pocket or you are nothing as a QB in the NFL.

MM has some arm talent. He has enough juice in his arm to play in the NFL. He won't win games with incredible stripe after incredible stripe, but I know he'll put in the time to try and get it done. Smart kid. Great pocket awareness, and obviously can run when needed.

Ultimately, I wouldn't draft him till the 2nd, or likely even 3rd round and bite my tongue hoping I'm right that he won't be a game-changer. He has a high ceiling, that is for sure. But he has as big a floor, if not deeper than many QBs in this draft. I see him as a starter, but not one of the better 20 QBs in the NFL that you need to at least make the playoffs and at least make a run at the Super Bowl.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't win shit, check your trophy case

LOL. Check that. Trophy shelf. I don't think they have enough for a case. They are like the Clippers, hanging western conference champ banners " we won the Pac12!" lol.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus is a tough call for me.

He has a nice amount of talent, but my biggest problem is the pressure. Can he handle the pressure that a starting NFL QB receives in order to be successful? Can he throw from the pocket on 3rd and 6 or more (money downs for legit QBs) and make his team better?

I'm not sure he can.

And like RGIII and many other "dual-threat" "running QBs" have found, is that you have to win games from the pocket or you are nothing as a QB in the NFL.

MM has some arm talent. He has enough juice in his arm to play in the NFL. He won't win games with incredible stripe after incredible stripe, but I know he'll put in the time to try and get it done. Smart kid. Great pocket awareness, and obviously can run when needed.

Ultimately, I wouldn't draft him till the 2nd, or likely even 3rd round and bite my tongue hoping I'm right that he won't be a game-changer. He has a high ceiling, that is for sure. But he has as big a floor, if not deeper than many QBs in this draft. I see him as a starter, but not one of the better 20 QBs in the NFL that you need to at least make the playoffs and at least make a run at the Super Bowl.

People don't realize there are guys who have played pro style QB since high school and through college , have good arms and been on NFL rosters for a few years and still cant get the timing, the play calls , figure out the defense in 2 seconds and throw to a window in the NFL . Mariota doesn't have a gun, he's got a good arm, good enough for the pros but he's going to have to learn all this after being a dual threat QB since forever. Look at Kapernick. Bigger , almost as fast, bigger arm, bigger body. And he was sacked the most last year and looked terrible in the pocket.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is like predicting the weather and economic forecasting. Could anyone have predicted the success of Tom Brady during his time in the combine? Nope. There are so many factors (supporting cast of players, coaches, team ownership, etc) that come into play about whether or not a QB is deemed a success. I think for Mariota that all the pieces are there for him to have, at worst, a decent career. But how much further it goes from there is anyone's guess.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is like predicting the weather and economic forecasting. Could anyone have predicted the success of Tom Brady during his time in the combine? Nope. There are so many factors (supporting cast of players, coaches, team ownership, etc) that come into play about whether or not a QB is deemed a success. I think for Mariota that all the pieces are there for him to have, at worst, a decent career. But how much further it goes from there is anyone's guess.

If Chip Kelly can get him he will have a good shot because the offense will be custom made for him. The problem is if he goes to another organization. How much of what Marcus does well (the oregon stuff) do you put in knowing that he's going to be hit. If you have a QB whos going to be hit often you run the possibility of having to go with your backup sometimes because your starter got nicked up. Wilson has a knack of running when needed but not taking big hits. Kapernick is a big guy but even he got nicked up. No matter how good Mariota can be how much faith can you put in him when the thing he does best is what could knock him out of games.