• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is going on in SFO

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
While it is not a surprise that Justin Smith is retiring - this is the 3rd key player retiring. Couple that with running off an effective coach and it gives one pause. Something is stinky in the City by the Bay

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it is not a surprise that Justin Smith is retiring - this is the 3rd key player retiring. Couple that with running off an effective coach and it gives one pause. Something is stinky in the City by the Bay

Ive said it for a while now. The problem is with their owner/GM, Harbaugh while insane, is a fantastic coach who put that once storied organization back on the map. They ran him off and the rest of the wheels are falling off following him out the door.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget they lost Iupati, Crabtree, Steve Johnson, Gore, and Culliver in free agency.

But they did sign Reggie Bush and Torrey Smith...

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team got old & hasn't been drafting as well in the last couple of seasons. Add in a soft rebuild with a new coach. I just question signing Dockett & Bush, older players who are rotational players at this point, when they should hit the reset button and overhauled more of the roster with young talent.

I still think the team will be around .500.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team got old & hasn't been drafting as well in the last couple of seasons. Add in a soft rebuild with a new coach. I just question signing Dockett & Bush, older players who are rotational players at this point, when they should hit the reset button and overhauled more of the roster with young talent.

I still think the team will be around .500.

The only players that were really surprises to leave were Borland and Willis. Willis had a bad toe which had slowed him considerably the past couple of years. It became enough of a problem that he decided to have surgery during the season and go on IR. Even after the surgery Willis felt he wasn't going to be able to play at the level he wanted to and decided to retire. Cowboy has been considering retirement for a few years now. Gore is 32 years old and Hyde was drafted to take his place. The 49ers didn't feel Iupati was worth the money AZ paid him and drafted his replacement in either Marcus Martin or Brandon Thomas. I can't say the past couple of drafts have been bad as most of the players drafted saw little or no action due to Harbaugh's preference to stick with the vets. Carradine, Dial, Hyde, Johnson have looked pretty good in limited action and many of the other rookies never saw the field. We will start to get a better idea this year of how good these players are.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only players that were really surprises to leave were Borland and Willis. Willis had a bad toe which had slowed him considerably the past couple of years. It became enough of a problem that he decided to have surgery during the season and go on IR. Even after the surgery Willis felt he wasn't going to be able to play at the level he wanted to and decided to retire. Cowboy has been considering retirement for a few years now. Gore is 32 years old and Hyde was drafted to take his place. The 49ers didn't feel Iupati was worth the money AZ paid him and drafted his replacement in either Marcus Martin or Brandon Thomas. I can't say the past couple of drafts have been bad as most of the players drafted saw little or no action due to Harbaugh's preference to stick with the vets. Carradine, Dial, Hyde, Johnson have looked pretty good in limited action and many of the other rookies never saw the field. We will start to get a better idea this year of how good these players are.

I understand what went on in SF. I just think the Niners should have gone "all in" on a full rebuild & not bring in older 1 year rentals above vet min contracts.

As to drafting, I am talking about the recent drafting results compared to the drafts 4-8 years ago. I really don't see any full blown stud type of players in their draft classes. Not potential studs, but guys who are there now. That's where the downfall has been.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what went on in SF. I just think the Niners should have gone "all in" on a full rebuild & not bring in older 1 year rentals above vet min contracts.

As to drafting, I am talking about the recent drafting results compared to the drafts 4-8 years ago. I really don't see any full blown stud type of players in their draft classes. Not potential studs, but guys who are there now. That's where the downfall has been.

As far as the past couple of drafts, what I was trying to say was we don't really know yet. Hyde is could turn out to be a big stud and so could some of the other players drafted. Some could be busts. They haven't really had a chance to play significant minutes as Harbaugh stuck with the vets. This is the year we will probably find out if these guys are studs or busts or somewhere in between.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the past couple of drafts, what I was trying to say was we don't really know yet. Hyde is could turn out to be a big stud and so could some of the other players drafted. Some could be busts. They haven't really had a chance to play significant minutes as Harbaugh stuck with the vets. This is the year we will probably find out if these guys are studs or busts or somewhere in between.

You should have an idea of the talent from the 2012-13 drafts by now.

What I am saying is that going back to 2011 & prior, the Niners were drafting multiple stud starters players almost every draft. Recently, not so much. And this is why I said the team got old. The replacement talent wasn't there as it once was.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget they lost Iupati, Crabtree, Steve Johnson, Gore, and Culliver in free agency.

But they did sign Reggie Bush and Torrey Smith...

All of the above and their departures were more or less planned with drafting and FA the past two years. Willis and Borland hurt more then anything.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Willis retirement was a total surprise ... He always play's at such a high level I would a never thought a toe injury would lead him too retire... But like you said, he must have felt something more was going on so he couldn't play at the level he wanted too play at....

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What I am saying is that going back to 2011 & prior, the Niners were drafting multiple stud starters players almost every draft. Recently, not so much. And this is why I said the team got old. The replacement talent wasn't there as it once was.

The 2012 draft was bad. The following years draft not much yet. Most of those players were redshirted or backups up to this year. Eric Reid and Vance McDonald were two only two players that have been given extensive playing time. Reid is an all pro and McDonald is great blocker but struggles in the pass game.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Window officially shut. Check back the next decade.

79TQ

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You mean when they secured a top 10 pick with regularity based on their suckitude? Yeah, crazy how the quality of player could be potentially hindered a bit by draft position. Second, outside of the abortion that was 2012 draft, there has been solid drafting as of late, but more injury rehab projects then anything. Guys like Tank Carradine, Brandon Thomas, Keith Reaser were drafted to take over key positions given their recoveries from ACL tears. Carradine has shown significant strides in limited PT. Time will tell, but last year showed quite a few rookies stepped up big in emergency duty and showed some serious talent.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^This.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willis retirement was a total surprise ... He always play's at such a high level I would a never thought a toe injury would lead him too retire... But like you said, he must have felt something more was going on so he couldn't play at the level he wanted too play at....

Toe injuries can be really painful. It cost one of our starting corners the season last year. Some of the media people that cover the team have commented on how they have noticed just how much Willis has slowed the past couple of seasons because of it. For Willis to have abandoned the season last year, it must have been really bad

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flipping over a roster doesn't have to spell 'rebuilding' or any other buzzword that means 'sucks' for a few years. Seattle's flip went pretty well pretty fast.

The problem here is the people teaching and molding the younger/newer players. A first year HC with no major experience at that level and what looks like from the outside as a dumpster fire staff/direction. Maybe those perceptions are wrong, but it just feels like it's going to be a super long year to be in the 9'er nation.

And it really doesn't feel like things are going to get substantially better there until there is a change in the ownership.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toe injuries can be really painful. It cost one of our starting corners the season last year. Some of the media people that cover the team have commented on how they have noticed just how much Willis has slowed the past couple of seasons because of it. For Willis to have abandoned the season last year, it must have been really bad

Oh I know they can be... I just figured after missing the entire year he'd come back strong... But obviously it was more than just the toe ...