• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What I like about Fielder..

aar000n

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah because we cant get another free agent or anything. :noidea:

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait til miggy gets walked all the time and vmart hits into a shit load of DP's.....

Yes, perhaps the biggest impact of Fielder's bat was that Cabrera walked a lot less -- especially in 2012. I don't think Miggy gets enough ABs to win the Triple Crown without Fielder in the lineup. That said, I can't argue with the trade.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think looking at what will happen behind Miggy is premature right now.

The batting order has a lot of flexibility right now. The double plays V Mart hits pales in comparison on how many DPs they will avoid with Kinsler and Jackson in the lineup. Not to mention any additional pickups that could occur, like a Nate Mclouth to platoon in LF. Detroit lacked speed and flexibility in the lineup. Miggy, Fielder, and V Mart were middle of the order guys that really could not be moved. All three were DH/1B as well.

Now if Detroit thinks Dirks is the answer behind Miggy then their is a problem, but again this is not the final lineup IMO.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think looking at what will happen behind Miggy is premature right now.

The batting order has a lot of flexibility right now. The double plays V Mart hits pales in comparison on how many DPs they will avoid with Kinsler and Jackson in the lineup. Not to mention any additional pickups that could occur, like a Nate Mclouth to platoon in LF. Detroit lacked speed and flexibility in the lineup. Miggy, Fielder, and V Mart were middle of the order guys that really could not be moved. All three were DH/1B as well.

Now if Detroit thinks Dirks is the answer behind Miggy then their is a problem, but again this is not the final lineup IMO.

Why would we pay nate money to platoon? People act like kinsler was a 330 hitter.....he played in a hitters park.....and did what lately? No matter what happens in front of miggy....hes gonna get walked....and victor WILL hit into a ton of DP's. Hes always hitting ground balls...but oh well.....tiger fans got their wish.....i bet miggys not too happy.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would we pay nate money to platoon? People act like kinsler was a 330 hitter.....he played in a hitters park.....and did what lately? No matter what happens in front of miggy....hes gonna get walked....and victor WILL hit into a ton of DP's. Hes always hitting ground balls...but oh well.....tiger fans got their wish.....i bet miggys not too happy.

The trade was purely for financial reasons. Fielder was getting paid way too much to hit 25-30 home runs sandwiched between the best hitter in baseball and a great hitter behind him as well. I think it was one of the better trades DD has made, hes going to be able to acquire much more useful talent now. I cant believe someone took tha contract off of the tigers hands.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade was purely for financial reasons. Fielder was getting paid way too much to hit 25-30 home runs sandwiched between the best hitter in baseball and a great hitter behind him as well. I think it was one of the better trades DD has made, hes going to be able to acquire much more useful talent now. I cant believe someone took tha contract off of the tigers hands.

The contract will be an issue in a few years, but right now it is a wash between Ian's and Fielders. The $30M thrown in helps too.

Kinsler won't hit into as many DP's, but he will annoy the fire out of you with that uppercut swing and the pop fly's to shallow left field. He's good in the field, but will also fall asleep on the bases and get picked off.

I liked Ian, but he needed to be moved for Profar and this deal helped both teams. I like the move.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thread and funny bump. What I like about Prince is that he is now a Ranger! Hopefully he won't let me down so I don't have to turn on him like some Tigers fans did. LOL

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not like Fielder was a .330 hitter either.

Plus that contract would have made it impossible to sign Scherzer and Miggy. Plus it would have made it difficult to resign Fister. Fielder was a below average 1B and was a non factor in the playoffs. Not seeing a whole lot of reasons to pay the guy 25+ million a year and losing a Cy Young pitcher.

Fielder did not provide Miggy that much protection in 2013 as it was his worst year plus he is trending in the wrong direction as stats go. I didn't like the fact they signed him 2 years ago for the money but that 30 million is all the Tigers gave up to get Kinsler so it worked out.

The Tigers didn't get knocked out of the playoffs because Fielder blew, but as a team they could not recover from Miggy's injury and hit worth a lick. Moving A Jax out of the #1 hole will pay dividends as he has struck out over 610 times in 4 years. I would also expect Fielder to bounce back as he gets over his personal issues. But I still can't see paying him the cash left on that contract and losing Scherzer or Miggy. And no way would the Tigers pay the luxury tax to keep the team together.

Dave D and Ilitch gamed when they signed Fielder. That gamble almost paid off. But it's just time to move on.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thread and funny bump. What I like about Prince is that he is now a Ranger! Hopefully he won't let me down so I don't have to turn on him like some Tigers fans did. LOL

Nice post......those fans are the bandwagon fans......dont remember the tony clark 1B days.....yes his contract was crazy....but this team was a few middle relievers away......not to mention when you add the 30 million the rangers got.....that makes it around 19-20 mil a yr for prince....not bad since he will kill it in texas....

Also you ranger fans will love his hustle.....he plays EVERY game.....he takes walks......i enjoyed him....i never seen him hitting 40 HR's in detroit. 30 was more what i expected...how many times in a game did he have to face tough lefties?.....9 players had 25 HR's and 100 RBI 's.....prince was one....

Enjoy him......im sure he will punish us when we play texas. ....not to mention all the walks miggy will get since our cleanup hitter has 10-15 HR power and a DP machine

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus that contract would have made it impossible to sign Scherzer and Miggy. Plus it would have made it difficult to resign Fister. Fielder was a below average 1B and was a non factor in the playoffs. Not seeing a whole lot of reasons to pay the guy 25+ million a year and losing a Cy Young pitcher.

Fielder did not provide Miggy that much protection in 2013 as it was his worst year plus he is trending in the wrong direction as stats go. I didn't like the fact they signed him 2 years ago for the money but that 30 million is all the Tigers gave up to get Kinsler so it worked out.

The Tigers didn't get knocked out of the playoffs because Fielder blew, but as a team they could not recover from Miggy's injury and hit worth a lick. Moving A Jax out of the #1 hole will pay dividends as he has struck out over 610 times in 4 years. I would also expect Fielder to bounce back as he gets over his personal issues. But I still can't see paying him the cash left on that contract and losing Scherzer or Miggy. And no way would the Tigers pay the luxury tax to keep the team together.

Dave D and Ilitch gamed when they signed Fielder. That gamble almost paid off. But it's just time to move on.

I love how everyone is set on miggy and scherzer.....so what happens when we sign miggy long term and he breaks down? Or if scherzer declines? I just dont like having vmart as our cleanup hitter......this team struggled to hit at times....now we lost fielder, infante and peralta while adding kinsler.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fielder didnt provide miggy protection? What were u watching?

Fielder was one of 9 players with 25 HR's and 100 RBI's.......you do know 2012 was princes only year batting 300 or better right? Hes not a 300 hitter.....

Funny how nobody wants to pay fielder as he ages but yet everyone wants to sign miggy til hes 40. I love miggy but whats not to say he doesnt start declining now? Prince protected the MVP 3 times. Were gonna pay miggy a ton to walk and then get left on the bases or doubled up by vmart.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People act like kinsler was a 330 hitter.....he played in a hitters park.....and
did what lately?

I made this point on some other threads. People act like Kinsler gives us a "true" leadoff hitter. Not really. His career BA is lower than A-Jax's (.273 to .278), and his career OBP is only marginally better (.349 to .337). He's a better pure base-stealer than A-jax, though declining at age 31. The only big difference I see is Kinsler makes much better contact (averaging 65-70 Ks per year versus about 140-something for A-jax), which helps when the lineup turns over.

Defensively, though, Kinsler is a considerable upgrade over Omar.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made this point on some other threads. People act like Kinsler gives us a "true" leadoff hitter. Not really. His career BA is lower than A-Jax's (.273 to .278), and his career OBP is only marginally better (.349 to .337). He's a better pure base-stealer than A-jax, though declining at age 31. The only big difference I see is Kinsler makes much better contact (averaging 65-70 Ks per year versus about 140-something for A-jax), which helps when the lineup turns over.

Defensively, though, Kinsler is a considerable upgrade over Omar.

According to ranger fans kinsler uppercuts at the ball and pops it up into LF alot.....i dont get the whole baserunning thing tho......leyland never let ajax loose. People always argue dont run into an out with miggy coming up.....wont matter. Miggy will struggle to get 100 RBI's this year.....you watch....teams have learned by now.....just walk him

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....i dont get the whole baserunning thing tho......leyland never let ajax loose.

Well, yeah, I don't see Kinsler getting much more than 15 SB if Miggy is still in the 3-hole. 1 out and Kinsler on 2nd base, with a turtle like V-mart on-deck, I think walking Miggy is automatic. V-mart will make them pay quite a bit, but I think opposing managers will take that risk every time.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walking miggy will be automatic unless the bases are loaded...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll most likely set the AL IBB record again if someone other than Victor isn't behind him. Suppose it'll be good for his OBP though.

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
168 million off the books :yahoo: