• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What happened to our Defense?

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The interior DL hasn't played well during this stretch, but other issues are......

We still cannot get off the field on 3rd dn. We're only doing slightly better, allowing 3rd dn conversions 43% of the time as opposed to 47% of the time when we were historically bad in 2015. The good news is two teams are allowing over 50% on 3rd dn conversions this season one of which is the Bengals, 55% allowed. Who look like they've given up. So yay, maybe we won't be owners of a shitty anymore after this year.

Our LBing, both inside and outside have issues.

Mason) Agreed he's slow (like Alfred Morris slow) which is too bad because his instincts at times seem good.

Brown) I'm beginning to wonder if he's hurt or mailing it in. While Brown is plenty fast, he never could cover worth a shit, but with his speed he was able to make some plays. He's made very few plays this year. What's really alarming though is how fall he's fell off when it comes to tackles. Zach Brown Unless he racks up some hellified tackles these last 5 games. He's gonna be significantly off those tackling #s from the last 2 years.
Look at ZB's snap counts as I believe they are down. I have seen JHC come in with Foster on 3rd downs most of the season. Trust me, ZB is not the problem with our defense.

Both RK and Preston have been disappointing pass rush-wise and neither are very good run defense-wise. Both are slow as well. I have brought this up before and got bashed for saying it. You are correct!

We wouldn't allow our best CB, Quinton Dunbar, a chance to get 100% healthy or close to it this year once he got hurt. And I don't believe we've done him any favors by continuing to play him. Same thing could be said about some of our OL and Paul Richardson as we continued to play them when they were hurt.

We need a DB that's not scared to hit/tackle.
So basically you are saying outside of the front 3 to include Settle, we need a new defense?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
question. Are you guys good with Swearingen going off like he is?

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically you are saying outside of the front 3 to include Settle, we need a new defense?

Heh. It could be seen like that I guess. But nah, I like Dunbar. I just hope they don't run himself into a career ending injury. DJ's OK. He plays with passion, which is good, but I get the impression that sometimes he thinks just cuz he keeps saying something like, "We're a top defense." is gonna make it true. Hell, Dix didn't even have a practice under his belt and they were talking best safety tandem, we're gonna ball like ST did. Ain't neither one of them ST nor do they have his capabilities. Neither one of them is very physical though.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish he'd play like he runs his mouth.

I agree! I don't like to see any athletes run their mouth and particularly the athletes who play for the Washington Redskins.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree! I don't like to see any athletes run their mouth and particularly the athletes who play for the Washington Redskins.

I'm not a big fan of talk either, but I believe for some players its a necessity for them to play at their peak level.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh. It could be seen like that I guess. But nah, I like Dunbar. I just hope they don't run himself into a career ending injury. DJ's OK. He plays with passion, which is good, but I get the impression that sometimes he thinks just cuz he keeps saying something like, "We're a top defense." is gonna make it true. Hell, Dix didn't even have a practice under his belt and they were talking best safety tandem, we're gonna ball like ST did. Ain't neither one of them ST nor do they have his capabilities. Neither one of them is very physical though.

Well, personally I don't see Dunbar ever being a "top" corner in this league. Converted WR who doesn't like to tackle. Attacks the ball in the air well but that's about it. I believe he can continue to be our #2 however, Norman has to go this offseason and we need a true #1 CB. Hopefully by next season R. Foster is ready to go with his ex-teammates who will keep him in line. The defense is improving all though it imploded the past couple of weeks. I'm thinking a new DC this off season would also help this group. Could use more of an attacking style defense with some exotic blitz packages. We require 2 cover corners who can play man (Norman Cannot) and not get beat repeatedly in order for our defense to take another step up.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big fan of talk either, but I believe for some players its a necessity for them to play at their peak level.

I don't disagree with you on that as long as it doesn't become a team distraction.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, personally I don't see Dunbar ever being a "top" corner in this league. Converted WR who doesn't like to tackle. Attacks the ball in the air well but that's about it. I believe he can continue to be our #2 however, Norman has to go this offseason and we need a true #1 CB. Hopefully by next season R. Foster is ready to go with his ex-teammates who will keep him in line. The defense is improving all though it imploded the past couple of weeks. I'm thinking a new DC this off season would also help this group. Could use more of an attacking style defense with some exotic blitz packages. We require 2 cover corners who can play man (Norman Cannot) and not get beat repeatedly in order for our defense to take another step up.

Heh. I don't believe I said QD was a top tier CB in the NFL. I said he was the Redskins best CB and that I like him as a player. Hell, he's one of the very few DBs we have that have actually shown real improvement from year to year as opposed to a glimpse here or there. No need to pick on QD for not wanting to tackle. We got a team full of DBs and none of them came into the NFL as WRs so what's their excuse?

What makes you think the Alabama boys will keep Foster in line? Cuz they went to school together? You think they'll keep him away from that bloodsuckin chickenhead that keeps throwing monkey wrenches into Foster's life? Think they'll keep away from the weed as well?

Far as a new DC. Yeah, I think we may be in need of one. We just look way too basic and simple at times. And maybe smarter or at least more dedicated players. If what DJ is saying is on point. I'm guessing Norman and Moreau are 2 of the guys he's talking about.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh. I don't believe I said QD was a top tier CB in the NFL. I said he was the Redskins best CB and that I like him as a player. Hell, he's one of the very few DBs we have that have actually shown real improvement from year to year as opposed to a glimpse here or there. No need to pick on QD for not wanting to tackle. We got a team full of DBs and none of them came into the NFL as WRs so what's their excuse? I'm not arguing with you Breed as I think QD is a serviceable corner given his transition to the position. You say he is our best corner but we haven't seen much of Holsey or Alexander to date. If QD is our best corner, then I think we can all see the real problems on defense with this team. This off season, Norman should be released and we need to draft a true #1 CB.

What makes you think the Alabama boys will keep Foster in line? Cuz they went to school together? You think they'll keep him away from that bloodsuckin chickenhead that keeps throwing monkey wrenches into Foster's life? Think they'll keep away from the weed as well? Absolutely, I believe his bama boys will keep him in line. As a matter fact, I would bet the bloodsucking chicken-head is a thing of the past already due to the bama boys. I think R. Foster will get suspended simply because of repeated offenses however, the other person is not credible so...The NFL will step in (Goodswell likes to flex his muscles) and suspend him minimum 4 games next year, counseling (full year), community service and likely a few more requirements before he is once again eligible.

Far as a new DC. Yeah, I think we may be in need of one. We just look way too basic and simple at times. And maybe smarter or at least more dedicated players. If what DJ is saying is on point. I'm guessing Norman and Moreau are 2 of the guys he's talking about.
I bet they are and quite frankly, DJ doesn't bring much to the table than his pregame antics. He was every bit a part of last weeks defensive disaster. We are looking at upgrade across the board on defense less the DLine.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
skinz2winz said:
I'm not arguing with you Breed as I think QD is a serviceable corner given his transition to the position. You say he is our best corner but we haven't seen much of Holsey or Alexander to date. If QD is our best corner, then I think we can all see the real problems on defense with this team. This off season, Norman should be released and we need to draft a true #1 CB.

I'm not saying we were great far as either unit went, but it seems just like yesterday. When we had a legit WR group and were better than decent far as starting CBs with a handful of youngsters who had promise. Just like that though both positions have jumped to the forefront of needs for us. Welll, close to the forefront as we now enter into what will become year #4 of not knowing who the fuck will be our starting QB two seasons from now.

How any Skins fan could support or worse yet, defend, some of the decisions our FO has made the last couple years is mind boggling to me.

And yes, I agree. I hope Norman is gone after this year and we need a legit CB who is capable of doing everything is asked to do. Including man coverage and tackling.

skinz2winz said:
Absolutely, I believe his bama boys will keep him in line. As a matter fact, I would bet the bloodsucking chicken-head is a thing of the past already due to the bama boys. I think R. Foster will get suspended simply because of repeated offenses however, the other person is not credible so...The NFL will step in (Goodswell likes to flex his muscles) and suspend him minimum 4 games next year, counseling (full year), community service and likely a few more requirements before he is once again eligible.

You may be right and I hope you are, but its been my experience that despite all the bros be4 hoes bullshit these youngsters want everyone else to believe they engage in. When it comes down to choosing between pussy and a couple of your boys. The boys usually end up ass the fuck out and in the cold. Still Foster's love for ol' girl's scandalous temptations might not be the biggest issue. Ex-49ers LB blasts Reuben Foster for being 'undisciplined' Skinsdad brings up a valid point that this dude didn't play with Foster. Maybe dude thinks this is his last shot at 15 minutes of fame and that's why he's talking. Even if that's true though. I do recall reading somewhere that the 9ers were disappointed in Foster being unable to grasp the mental aspects of the MLB position. We already have one of those kinda LBs in Brown. Do we need another one?

The stories may indeed be true and that's wouldn't surprise me. But it wouldn't surprise me either to find out that both the Wilhoite story and Foster's gf's stories are largely bullshit. Enough has been revealed though imo to show that Foster is far from the sharpest knife in the drawer.

skinz2winz said:
I bet they are and quite frankly, DJ doesn't bring much to the table than his pregame antics. He was every bit a part of last weeks defensive disaster. We are looking at upgrade across the board on defense less the DLine

I agree about DJ. He's an OK player who can make plays , but he's not playing error free or ballin 9000. And he's not a physical type player either. We need a physical presence in the secondary. And I don't mean he has to be a big hitter, but when he gets his hands on someone or goes in to make a tackle. He actually makes the tackle right there at the point of contact. He doesn't give up another 2 or 3 yards getting dragged or ran over.

Last edited:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying we were great far as either unit went, but it seems just like yesterday. When we had a legit WR group and were better than decent far as starting CBs with a handful of youngsters who had promise. Just like that though both positions have jumped to the forefront of needs for us. Welll, close to the forefront as we now enter into what will become year #4 of not knowing who the fuck will be our starting QB two seasons from now.

How any Skins fan could support or worse yet, defend, some of the decisions our FO has made the last couple years is mind boggling to me.

And yes, I agree. I hope Norman is gone after this year and we need a legit CB who is capable of doing everything is asked to do. Including man coverage and tackling.

You may be right and I hope you are, but its been my experience that despite all the bros be4 hoes bullshit these youngsters want everyone else to believe they engage in. When it comes down to choosing between pussy and a couple of your boys. The boys usually end up ass the fuck out and in the cold. Still Foster's love for ol' girl's scandalous temptations might not be the biggest issue. Ex-49ers LB blasts Reuben Foster for being 'undisciplined' Skinsdad brings up a valid point that this dude didn't play with Foster. Maybe dude thinks this is his last shot at 15 minutes of fame and that's why he's talking. Even if that's true though. I do recall reading somewhere that the 9ers were disappointed in Foster being unable to grasp the mental aspects of the MLB position. We already have one of those kinda LBs in Brown. Do we need another one?

The stories may indeed be true and that's wouldn't surprise me. But it wouldn't surprise me either to find out that both the Wilhoite story and Foster's gf's stories are largely bullshit. Enough has been revealed though imo to show that Foster is far from the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I agree about DJ. He's an OK player who can make plays , but he's not playing error free or ballin 9000. And he's not a physical type player either. We need a physical presence in the secondary. And I don't mean he has to be a big hitter, but when he gets his hands on someone or goes in to make a tackle. He actually makes the tackle right there at the point of contact. He doesn't give up another 2 or 3 yards getting dragged or ran over.

first of i think we can give FM and dunny some more time . next year i expect they will be even better as both are 1st time starters . my major beef is we gave away fuller which would have allowed FM and dunny time to be eased in and the fact that fuller was a good experienced young slot CB

drafting a CB sounds good and i wouldnt be against it but what if smith walks ? . and now our qb position is a need . now justin blacman is a 6-1 190 lb cb who has a 3rd round grade (right now subject to change )

now i think SDH can make a big move next year at ILB and he can deal with the calls on defense . if he , RF and JHC continue to develop we could have a really good young ILB corp . keep brown around for a year and call it a day

as for DJ earlier in the year he was playing at PB level . i would be more concerned about HAHA then DJ . unless he picks it up Dix may not be in the cards and we are back to young nich again

the FO has drafted decently in recent years but their trades and FA acquisitions leave a lot to be desired

our o/line needs a good starting LG and some solid BU's in the middle

we need a play making wr

we need a qb with a future

we need edge rusher help (if smith walks ) and we need ILBs who can pay 3 downs ( we may have one in SDH and possibly foster )

and we need a top CB

not all of this will be accomplished

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With all due respect I think our FO has made many massive mistakes far beyond just two years ago.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure Breed believes the same thing.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McNabb

$36M cap penalty

RG3

“Winning off the field”

McCloughan firing/shaming

Cousins mismanagement

“Don’t answer your phone”

Alex Smith

Cheerleader scandal

Foster waiver

*Add: setting up team hero Doug Williams

here Is a short list

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all due respect I think our FO has made many massive mistakes far beyond just two years ago.

Sure, sure, sure. We do historically dumb shit. But I'm referring strictly to the WR, CB, and of course QB position over that course of time. And in fairness, the CB position isn't all the FO's fault, but a lot of it is. Starting with never finding a suitable replacement for BB. The WR and QB positions on the other hand seemed to be purposely done by the FO.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, sure, sure. We do historically dumb shit. But I'm referring strictly to the WR, CB, and of course QB position over that course of time. And in fairness, the CB position isn't all the FO's fault, but a lot of it is. Starting with never finding a suitable replacement for BB. The WR and QB positions on the other hand seemed to be purposely done by the FO.

I can only imagine what our FO will do next in an attempt to fill our needs.