• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Western Conference Final - Dallas Stars vs. Edmonton Oilers

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another smile on your face, remind yourself of how long Nurse's contract is

He turns 30 years old next season. He is under contract with a cap hit of 9.25 shmill until the end of the 2030 season. As you would say, woof!!

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To honor his hat trick and remind us all you can’t judge a book by its cover, here is a Vegas interlude.

This past Sunday I am playing blackjack and the dealer is a 50ish women from the Philippines. I am wearing a Golden Knights tshirt (when in Rome…) and she asks me if I like hockey. I said yes, I am originally from Toronto (pronounced slowly lol) and she says “oh the Maple Leafs”. I was not expecting that response.

Then I said I live near Nashville now and she immediately says “Predators”. You like hockey I responded, trying to hide my surprise. She said yes, her favorite player is Jason Robertson because he is half Filipino. Recovering, I said and his brother plays for Toronto, but Jason is better

Hockey is for everyone.

/oh and my cards got much better after this conversation :D

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nurse probably could've fetched a decent package in trade at the time he signed his deal. The cost to the Oilers isn't just his cap hit, term and shitty play but also blown opportunity cost.

And of course, if Holland had just signed him long-term on his second contract instead of bridging him the impact would be so much softer.

Another example of just how badly this team's been managed.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nurse probably could've fetched a decent package in trade at the time he signed his deal. The cost to the Oilers isn't just his cap hit, term and shitty play but also blown opportunity cost.

And of course, if Holland had just signed him long-term on his second contract instead of bridging him the impact would be so much softer.

Another example of just how badly this team's been managed.

I think that Nurse contract and the fact that you want/need to keep Bouchard on the backend kind of forces you to trade Draisaitl in my opinion. That's a tough pill to swallow perhaps, but there's no way in hell you're keeping Draisaitl over McDavid and I don't see a path forward that enables you to keep both guys.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Nurse contract and the fact that you want/need to keep Bouchard on the backend kind of forces you to trade Draisaitl in my opinion. That's a tough pill to swallow perhaps, but there's no way in hell you're keeping Draisaitl over McDavid and I don't see a path forward that enables you to keep both guys.
Nurse is gonna get his own island, isn’t he?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't shock me if they go $13m for Drai, $9 or 10m for Bouch which puts them at $76m for 25-26 before any other deals. They can clear Ekholm, Hyman and/or RNH if needed, buy out Campbell obviously, etc.

A good GM can make it work. That would be a new phenomenon for the Oilers though.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't shock me if they go $13m for Drai, $9 or 10m for Bouch which puts them at $76m for 25-26 before any other deals. They can clear Ekholm, Hyman and/or RNH if needed, buy out Campbell obviously, etc.

A good GM can make it work. That would be a new phenomenon for the Oilers though.

So they'll just go with playing #97 and #29 30 minutes a night and pray that's enough?!? It could work lol

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty, I think you can find a cheaper version of Draisaitl and just imagine the package he would fetch. Of course, this highlights your post above of requiring a good GM.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they'll just go with playing #97 and #29 30 minutes a night and pray that's enough?!? It could work lol
What if, and hear me out here... they played 40 minutes a night?
In all honesty, I think you can find a cheaper version of Draisaitl and just imagine the package he would fetch. Of course, this highlights your post above of requiring a good GM.
There's still so many people hanging onto the "Holland will go to Columbus" talk and it really worries me. I mean, I'd rather take Jarmo back. The fact that most big name insiders don't understand where the rumor is coming from (IE: They aren't hearing it from Columbus) gives me some solace along with the fact that Holland has too big an ego to take a lateral move to work for someone that used to work for him.

I just hope that Waddell will keep a tight leash on him if he does come.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not that it will happen but Drai would be infinitely more attractive to Nashville than, say, Marner.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Foegele has been their only effective player in the bottom 6