• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We'll have to wait for Mazara's Sox debut

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bummer for him and the team. Probably low on the list of guys in the lineup/rotation I'd lose sleep over losing to start the season, though. I have hopes he can realize his potential here. That being said - our core is intact.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy and Kopech were two of the more intriguing playera to watc this season. Now Mazara’s injured and Kopech is a bitch. Eh well...Yay for more Engel consolation prize.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The press keeps saying Mazara's injury might force the Sox to put Madrigal on the roster, as they use Garcia more in RF and in the process, open up playing time for Madrigal. I just don't see the need for this, as they can simply add another OF to replace Mazara while he's out. I would say Delmonico would be a good candidate, but the chances are he was probably going to make the 30 man cut regardless. So I'm going with Luis Gonzalez as the replacement. First off, he's pretty athletic and can play all three OF positions. In his limited time this Spring and now Summer camp, he's done a good job with the bat as well.

I'm a Madrigal fan first and foremost, but I don't think he's quite ready yet, at least with the bat. The glove? No problem, he's already solid there, but he needs to work on the stick. Besides, the Sox could use that extra year of service, so it would behoove them to keep him off the roster for at least a week or whatever amount of time it takes to secure that extra year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The press keeps saying Mazara's injury might force the Sox to put Madrigal on the roster, as they use Garcia more in RF and in the process, open up playing time for Madrigal. I just don't see the need for this, as they can simply add another OF to replace Mazara while he's out. I would say Delmonico would be a good candidate, but the chances are he was probably going to make the 30 man cut regardless. So I'm going with Luis Gonzalez as the replacement. First off, he's pretty athletic and can play all three OF positions. In his limited time this Spring and now Summer camp, he's done a good job with the bat as well.

I'm a Madrigal fan first and foremost, but I don't think he's quite ready yet, at least with the bat. The glove? No problem, he's already solid there, but he needs to work on the stick. Besides, the Sox could use that extra year of service, so it would behoove them to keep him off the roster for at least a week or whatever amount of time it takes to secure that extra year.

Not so fast, my friend. :)

Madrigal is not going to get any development on the reserve list. If Mazara is out and Leury plays in RF - the Sox will be blatantly exploiting the time served loop hole - as everyone knows he will be up later.

Now - what value does he bring by staying - even if not starting?

1) Big time defensive replacement in the middle infield - top pinch runner on the team (more than likely). He's also possibly the best pinch hitter for moving a runner over.
2) Madrigal just doesn't have the profile that's going to produce a Mookie Betts contract - the Sox can play him - kill the union's case on playing time - and still sign him to a reasonable contract extension any time in the next couple of years.
3) He need big league at bats to improve his hitting - there really isn't any doubt he will improve his hitting.
4) The Sox have added two new starters who are bonified ground ball pitchers. I'd rather have Madrigal out there for that reason too. His defensive play may get TA's attention for competitive improvement.

I'm sure Delmonico makes the round of 30 - LH bat with pop - can play infield or outfield.

I say Madrigal is in - Louis Gonzales iis out.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so fast, my friend. :)

Madrigal is not going to get any development on the reserve list. If Mazara is out and Leury plays in RF - the Sox will be blatantly exploiting the time served loop hole - as everyone knows he will be up later.

Now - what value does he bring by staying - even if not starting?

1) Big time defensive replacement in the middle infield - top pinch runner on the team (more than likely). He's also possibly the best pinch hitter for moving a runner over.
2) Madrigal just doesn't have the profile that's going to produce a Mookie Betts contract - the Sox can play him - kill the union's case on playing time - and still sign him to a reasonable contract extension any time in the next couple of years.
3) He need big league at bats to improve his hitting - there really isn't any doubt he will improve his hitting.
4) The Sox have added two new starters who are bonified ground ball pitchers. I'd rather have Madrigal out there for that reason too. His defensive play may get TA's attention for competitive improvement.

I'm sure Delmonico makes the round of 30 - LH bat with pop - can play infield or outfield.

I say Madrigal is in - Louis Gonzales iis out.

You're all about this intangible stuff aren't you Mingo...LOL.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're all about this intangible stuff aren't you Mingo...LOL.

LOL - @richig07 nearly called me a racist for saying Madrigal was more ready for the MLB than Robert (I was wrong - spectacularly).

I believe you are correct about me Jiddy - I love the intangibles and what they can do for a team.

I've had an itch to see this guy play from draft day - I think he is the straw that can stir this drink. :)

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL - @richig07 nearly called me a racist for saying Madrigal was more ready for the MLB than Robert (I was wrong - spectacularly).

I believe you are correct about me Jiddy - I love the intangibles and what they can do for a team.

I've had an itch to see this guy play from draft day - I think he is the straw that can stir this drink. :)

Yeah, I think I apologized and clarified. I think my stance was more that people, in general, love the "scrappy white kid" narrative. It gets a bit nauseating to me. It goes both ways, though. In football, white guys will always be called smart, tough, scrappy, etc. While black guys get praised for their athleticism and natural abilities. Baseball isn't much different with labels such as that.

I am still unsold on Madrigal as a hitter. I think he can eventually hit at a major league level. However, I think (ideally) he will wind-up being a 2-3 WAR per season role player. Not a star. A ceiling of Dustin Pedroia, perhaps? But that's only if he does find some kind of power at the plate. Madrigal still had work to do last year in the minors. Robert had no business even being there anymore. That's why your comment, at that time, took me for a loop.

Keep in mind, that this is okay pertaining to Madrigal. Not all prospects have to be "stars". You need your role players. We've just had a handful lately that get that hype. So, I think we're too accustomed to it.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and this is a service time thing with Madrigal. Apparently, he can come up after 10 games and we save that year of service time.

Hard to believe it's still a thing in this 60 game season... but it is.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and this is a service time thing with Madrigal. Apparently, he can come up after 10 games and we save that year of service time.

Hard to believe it's still a thing in this 60 game season... but it is.
Yeah, no doubt service time was likely the key factor for Madrigal not making the cut, but I still think he isn't quite ready yet with the bat. If I were his coaches, while he's waiting to be called up, I'd be spending 90% of his time working on his hitting, and only 10% on his glove, which is already major league quality.