• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 8 LOL thread

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point though. We have elite guys who aren't living up to their potential. Regardless of semantics, it's obvious OSU has more talent on paper at LB than every team in the nation outside of maybe 4-5. It's the coaches' jobs to coach this talent up, and Davis isn't doing shit with it.

The coaches put the best players on the field. You can’t make a player become a star in college. If any player you mentioned with even an iota better than the guys starting — they’d be on the field.

Recruits not living up to their star rankings happens all the time. If stars made players a lock — UM would have a stud at QB this year that didn’t transfer in and last year. They have had not one, but two 5 star RB’s who did absolutely nothing.

That’s college FB. That’s why recruiting classes are so important, because when you whiff on a few kids and every team will — you have a new class of 4-5 star kids to replace them.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point though. We have elite guys who aren't living up to their potential. Regardless of semantics, it's obvious OSU has more talent on paper at LB than every team in the nation outside of maybe 4-5. It's the coaches' jobs to coach this talent up, and Davis isn't doing shit with it.

Paper is a good way to describe Ohio St defense.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coaches put the best players on the field. You can’t make a player become a star in college. If any player you mentioned with even an iota better than the guys starting — they’d be on the field.

Recruits not living up to their star rankings happens all the time. If stars made players a lock — UM would have a stud at QB this year that didn’t transfer in and last year. They have had not one, but two 5 star RB’s who did absolutely nothing.

That’s college FB. That’s why recruiting classes are so important, because when you whiff on a few kids and every team will — you have a new class of 4-5 star kids to replace them.
You've missed my point completely. I'm not arguing about who has beaten out who, I'm saying we clearly have plenty of talent at the position, but our coaches have simply done a shitty job of leading them.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've missed my point completely. I'm not arguing about who has beaten out who, I'm saying we clearly have plenty of talent at the position, but our coaches have simply done a shitty job of leading them.

I know what you are saying. What I’m telling you is — once you get on campus, you are a 0 star and have to earn your playing time. Obviously those top recruits are being outplayed by lesser recruits.

UM just had a top 100 LB leave because he didn’t win a starting spot this year. It happens.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what you are saying. What I’m telling you is — once you get on campus, you are a 0 star and have to earn your playing time. Obviously those top recruits are being outplayed by lesser recruits.

UM just had a top 100 LB leave because he didn’t win a starting spot this year. It happens.

Maybe CUM just benched them for having a birthday party...like at UF when he took the Pouncy twins and half the linemen out of half the SECCG against Bama for staying out too late to have cake.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, that is something I think everyone here is aware of. My point is, it's not as if we're recruited the position well in the past and all of the sudden we're sitting here with a bunch of 2-3* guys. We've got 5* and mid-high 4* guys all over, but they're dramatically underperforming compared to what we're used to, and that comes down to coaching.

The same goes for the defensive backs. We have multiple 5*/mid-high 4* guys and suddenly after putting 5 DBs in the last 3 first rounds of the NFL draft, we suddenly don't know how to coach DBs. Again, missing guys like Coombs and Fickell has proven to be a major problem that we didn't think we'd have to overcome.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many QB’s look good with matadors for an offensive line, road barrels for running backs, and your top 4 WRs out with injuries.
And in the rain :D

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that is something I think everyone here is aware of. My point is, it's not as if we're recruited the position well in the past and all of the sudden we're sitting here with a bunch of 2-3* guys. We've got 5* and mid-high 4* guys all over, but they're dramatically underperforming compared to what we're used to, and that comes down to coaching.

The same goes for the defensive backs. We have multiple 5*/mid-high 4* guys and suddenly after putting 5 DBs in the last 3 first rounds of the NFL draft, we suddenly don't know how to coach DBs. Again, missing guys like Coombs and Fickell has proven to be a major problem that we didn't think we'd have to overcome.

You always seem to blame coaching whenever OSU struggles. It was the WR and OC when they couldn’t get separation before. Now it is the defensive coordinator and position coaches.

What I’m telling you is — it doesn’t matter if you have 3 top 100 recruits at LB on the bench. They were beat out for starting jobs by young recruits who weren’t as highly sought after. The coaches are going to put the best players on the field — these big time recruits can rely solely on god given athletic ability in HS and they are ranked by who was gifted with the most. Instinct, awareness, angles, recognition — some players have those skills and other don’t. The best LB’s have those gifts and the truly blessed have those gifts along with speed.
Right now — OSU doesn’t have any LB’s that possess those skills. If the recruits you mentioned had any of those skills, they’d be on the field over your starters.
And your safeties have all the physical skills in the world, but like the LB’s, they lack the intangibles that make a player great.

Look at the LB from Purdue — not the most physically gifted player. He grew up in Columbus and didn’t even get an offer from OSU. Yet he absolutely dominated in the OSU game and was the best defensive player on the field. 15 tackles, an interception for a TD — but I bet if you lined up the 3 top tier recruits OSU signed — they’d all run faster than him, they’d all lift more weight. But you don’t know what you get between the ears with some of these guys until they step foot on a CFB field.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fgallery%2Fmarching-band-tribute-to-michael-jackson%2Fohio-marching-band-3.gif

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You always seem to blame coaching whenever OSU struggles. It was the WR and OC when they couldn’t get separation before. Now it is the defensive coordinator and position coaches.

What I’m telling you is — it doesn’t matter if you have 3 top 100 recruits at LB on the bench. They were beat out for starting jobs by young recruits who weren’t as highly sought after. The coaches are going to put the best players on the field — these big time recruits can rely solely on god given athletic ability in HS and they are ranked by who was gifted with the most. Instinct, awareness, angles, recognition — some players have those skills and other don’t. The best LB’s have those gifts and the truly blessed have those gifts along with speed.
Right now — OSU doesn’t have any LB’s that possess those skills. If the recruits you mentioned had any of those skills, they’d be on the field over your starters.
And your safeties have all the physical skills in the world, but like the LB’s, they lack the intangibles that make a player great.

Look at the LB from Purdue — not the most physically gifted player. He grew up in Columbus and didn’t even get an offer from OSU. Yet he absolutely dominated in the OSU game and was the best defensive player on the field. 15 tackles, an interception for a TD — but I bet if you lined up the 3 top tier recruits OSU signed — they’d all run faster than him, they’d all lift more weight. But you don’t know what you get between the ears with some of these guys until they step foot on a CFB field.
And when I have blamed the coaches, I was right. I blamed them in 2016 when we lost to MSU, and then Meyer took the play-calling duties out of their hands for the final two games and we dismantled a top 10 michigan defense and then lit up a top 10 Notre Dame. Hell, Tim Beck has sucked at Texas, too. It's not a coincidence. Last year we were having major issues with the exact same WRs we have this year in getting separation. This year? Not so much. Why? We have a new WR coach.

Are you seriously going to sit there and tell me that, when we lost arguably the top defensive backs coach in the entire nation after last season - after we had just put 5 DBs in the last 3 first rounds of the draft - that it has nothing at all to do with anything? Are you seriously going to tell me it's just a huge coincidence that suddenly the 4-5* DBs we've got this year are all just horrible prospects? Are you kidding me?

Please stop trying to preach about recruiting stars, you aren't making the point you are trying to hard to make. Not sought after? Werner had offers from Notre Dame, michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Wisconsin, among others. Borland had offers from basically the same teams minus A&M and Tennessee. I'm aware that they've outplayed their higher-ranked teammates. It happens at OSU all the time. I have no idea what you're getting at and what it has to do with our coaching short-comings.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when I have blamed the coaches, I was right. I blamed them in 2016 when we lost to MSU, and then Meyer took the play-calling duties out of their hands for the final two games and we dismantled a top 10 michigan defense and then lit up a top 10 Notre Dame. Hell, Tim Beck has sucked at Texas, too. It's not a coincidence. Last year we were having major issues with the exact same WRs we have this year in getting separation. This year? Not so much. Why? We have a new WR coach.

Are you seriously going to sit there and tell me that, when we lost arguably the top defensive backs coach in the entire nation after last season - after we had just put 5 DBs in the last 3 first rounds of the draft - that it has nothing at all to do with anything? Are you seriously going to tell me it's just a huge coincidence that suddenly the 4-5* DBs we've got this year are all just horrible prospects? Are you kidding me?

Please stop trying to preach about recruiting stars, you aren't making the point you are trying to hard to make. Not sought after? Werner had offers from Notre Dame, michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Wisconsin, among others. Borland had offers from basically the same teams minus A&M and Tennessee. I'm aware that they've outplayed their higher-ranked teammates. It happens at OSU all the time. I have no idea what you're getting at and what it has to do with our coaching short-comings.

You know why your WR’s aren’t having as many issues — You are running a different offense. Instead of running the ball to setup deep shots down field — you now throw slants, screens, quick outs and let your WRs make plays in space.

Did you notice the issue when you tried to throw downfield against PSU? What happened when you went to just throwing screens? They put up a chart of Haskins passes this year during the Purdue game and like 80% of his completions are within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Remember those RB’s that were so dominant last year? Now defenses don’t have to worry about the QB running, so they have one less guy to worry about and those great RB’s have struggled, even against teams like Minnesota and Purdue. Or is that coaching too?

And correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t these guys in your secondary have a year or two coaching from Coombs? Or did they forget all of that when Coombs went to Tennessee?

Every time OSU loses — you automatically point to a new coach or a new coordinator to blame. It is bizarre.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know why your WR’s aren’t having as many issues — You are running a different offense. Instead of running the ball to setup deep shots down field — you now throw slants, screens, quick outs and let your WRs make plays in space.

Did you notice the issue when you tried to throw downfield against PSU? What happened when you went to just throwing screens? They put up a chart of Haskins passes this year during the Purdue game and like 80% of his completions are within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Remember those RB’s that were so dominant last year? Now defenses don’t have to worry about the QB running, so they have one less guy to worry about and those great RB’s have struggled, even against teams like Minnesota and Purdue. Or is that coaching too?

And correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t these guys in your secondary have a year or two coaching from Coombs? Or did they forget all of that when Coombs went to Tennessee?

Every time OSU loses — you automatically point to a new coach or a new coordinator to blame. It is bizarre.
Good point. Barrett was constantly airing it out with that cannon arm he had. :L

I agree, a good amount of Haskins' throws recently have been slants and outs. Why do you think that is? Could it be coaching? Honestly, I think a lot of it has to do with Urban not knowing how to use a QB like him properly. During the first 3 games, he was throwing downfield much more.

We are running a different offense, but the main reason our RBs aren't dominant is because our OL has been miserable. Losing our 3-year starting LT and 1st round center didn't help, and then they moved Michael Jordan to center, which was a huge mistake. He was an elite guard but is a mediocre center. I shouldn't need to explain how changes like this can affect the run game, but I guess I do. It isn't as if all of the sudden now an extra LB is making all the stops. Our OL isn't nearly as good as run-blocking as they were last year.

I really have no idea how you're just chalking it up to guys suddenly just not being good. For years we recruited the same we have with the guys this year. We lose key coaches and suddenly things go to shit. That points to one thing. Do some research, it's far from just me pointing this out. Even guys like Bobby Carpenter and James Laurinaitis are speaking out about how horrible the defensive schemes and coaching have been this year. They're probably just bizarre too, huh?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is probably the worst Ohio State defense this century. They aren't good at really any level. I get that the Bosa injury is a huge blow, but even with him they looked bad against Oregon State and TCU. Who are actually bad at offense in their own right.

Offensively, this is the worst O-line I can recall as well.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State's main problem is that the team just doesn't seem motivated half the time.

The last 3 weeks they just looked like they were out there like they thought they could just show up, go through the basic motions and win on talent alone. Finally caught up with them and Purdue smacked them in the mouth. Same thing as the Iowa game last year.

Defense isnt good period though and the oline isnt much better. Softest run blocking oline Ohio State has maybe ever had in my lifetime.

The awful play calling at crucial times (red zone) isnt really helping either.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is probably the worst Ohio State defense this century. They aren't good at really any level. I get that the Bosa injury is a huge blow, but even with him they looked bad against Oregon State and TCU. Who are actually bad at offense in their own right.

Offensively, this is the worst O-line I can recall as well.
While Coombs wasn't the DC, he was trusted with a pretty big impact on play-calling. We've gone to a nearly man-coverage only system this year now, which is just a horrible idea and it's why teams are throwing slants for big chunk yards on us all day, and also why RBs are gashing us. The assignments are horrible (a LB on Rondale Moore, for example). Coombs coached aggression at DB, and so far they have none this year now that he's gone. Its completely night and day, and most of the guys playing this year played/started a lot last year, if not started the entire season.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Coombs wasn't the DC, he was trusted with a pretty big impact on play-calling. We've gone to a nearly man-coverage only system this year now, which is just a horrible idea and it's why teams are throwing slants for big chunk yards on us all day, and also why RBs are gashing us. The assignments are horrible (a LB on Rondale Moore, for example). Coombs coached aggression at DB, and so far they have none this year now that he's gone. Its completely night and day, and most of the guys playing this year played/started a lot last year, if not started the entire season.

Defense seems too worried about making the big play rather than simply making routine football plays and getting off of the field.

The LBs are just bad though. Play recognition is awful and they look lost half the time. They also still have not figured out the concept of taking proper angles to the ball (as the safeties have not as well)

Sheffield is terrible at CB, he's really fast but that's about it. The safties have looked bad pretty much all year. There's not really much good you can say about anyone on the defense except maybe a dlinemen or two