• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 8 LOL thread

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see. I'll go with the experts on this one.

Lmao. You act like he's a sure fire 1st rounder. He's being mocked in the mid to late 20's. And in some not even a 1st round grade.

It is funny. All this talent everywhere on defense and they get shredded by everyone this season not named Tulane and Rutgers. Makes you wonder...

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still can't get over the officials literally GAVE Temple points to please their crowd.

AAC has some corrupt ones.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao. You act like he's a sure fire 1st rounder. He's being mocked in the mid to late 20's. And in some not even a 1st round grade.

It is funny. All this talent everywhere on defense and they get shredded by everyone this season not named Tulane and Rutgers. Makes you wonder...
He was also a projected late first-rounder had he come out last year, and he's played great this year. One DT in the nation has more sacks than him. 6 sacks, 2 additional hurries, 9 tackles for loss, and he's also a freakish athlete, and is one of the fastest DTs in the nation. Not sure what there is to not love.

It doesn't make me wonder. I've pretty much laid my thoughts out as thoroughly as possible.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was also a projected late first-rounder had he come out last year, and he's played great this year. One DT in the nation has more sacks than him. 6 sacks, 2 additional hurries, 9 tackles for loss, and he's also a freakish athlete, and is one of the fastest DTs in the nation. Not sure what there is to not love.

It doesn't make me wonder. I've pretty much laid my thoughts out as thoroughly as possible.

Yep Ohio State has all this "talent" on defense yet they have stunk it up pretty much every game this season defensively. Color me shocked you're overvaluing Ohio State's talent level.

It's okay to say the staff missed on guys. Hilliard, Cooper, Cornell all highly recruited and have done nothing.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep Ohio State has all this "talent" on defense yet they have stunk it up pretty much every game this season defensively. Color me shocked you're overvaluing Ohio State's talent level.

It's okay to say the staff missed on guys. Hilliard, Cooper, Cornell all highly recruited and have done nothing.
I don't recall saying the staff didn't have some misses. All do. Hilliard, absolute miss. Cooper, still not sure. I've always thought he was out of position as a DE and should be an OLB, but oh well. However, it's not being outrageous to say we have first round talent, and Jones and Young are both likely first-rounders. As for the rest of the defense, well...

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall saying the staff didn't have some misses. All do. Hilliard, absolute miss. Cooper, still not sure. I've always thought he was out of position as a DE and should be an OLB, but oh well. However, it's not being outrageous to say we have first round talent, and Jones and Young are both likely first-rounders. As for the rest of the defense, well...

They have no depth, because of those misses. Just look at the 2015 and 2016 classes on defense. Through early entry and injury they just aren't an experienced talented group. They have young talent, so we'll see what happens but they clearly aren't ready to play.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have no depth, because of those misses. Just look at the 2015 and 2016 classes on defense. Through early entry and injury they just aren't an experienced talented group. They have young talent, so we'll see what happens but they clearly aren't ready to play.
Several of these exact same guys (Borland, Harrison, Fuller, Arnette, Browning for sure) looked much better last season. Unless you're honestly saying every one of these guys has just naturally regressed in one year, and not a single recruit from the last 2 years is any good at all, it points to coaching.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several of these exact same guys (Borland, Harrison, Fuller, Arnette, Browning for sure) looked much better last season. Unless you're honestly saying every one of these guys has just naturally regressed in one year, and not a single recruit from the last 2 years is any good at all, it points to coaching.

And most of those guys weren't asked to play most of the game. Weren't Baker, Booker and Worley the starters most of last year? And like I said the D-Line is completely different. Last year guys like Jones and Young were depth pieces, this year they are the main guys. And there's no depth behind them. Same with the LB position. Harrison, Werner and Borland provided depth, now they are the main guys. It's not that they regressed, but surrounded by lesser talent(themselves), with an expanded role, they are getting exposed. It's hard to lose as many people early to the draft that Ohio State has the past couple years and not have depth issues. Plus injuries have factored in as well, unfortunately.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And most of those guys weren't asked to play most of the game. Weren't Baker, Booker and Worley the starters most of last year? And like I said the D-Line is completely different. Last year guys like Jones and Young were depth pieces, this year they are the main guys. And there's no depth behind them. Same with the LB position. Harrison, Werner and Borland provided depth, now they are the main guys. It's not that they regressed, but surrounded by lesser talent(themselves), with an expanded role, they are getting exposed. It's hard to lose as many people early to the draft that Ohio State has the past couple years and not have depth issues. Plus injuries have factored in as well, unfortunately.
Borland actually started the final 9 games. When he stepped in, our run defense was immensely improved. He was the defensive player of the game twice and had multiple double digit tackle games. In 6 games this year he has none. Did he just completely forget how to tackle?

Malik Harrison played in 12 games as a freshmen, and then in all 14 last year, though this is his first year starting. Still, last season, his performance had him picked as a rising star, yet now he's just forgotten how to play?

Jordan Fuller started all year last year and looked so good, he was being regarded as the next great Buckeye defensive back to go into the draft, yet now all of the sudden he looks horrible?

Arnette started 12 games last year and was given coaching commendation for his performance in half of them, even getting player of the game in the win over Michigan State. He and Fuller were regarded as two of the top tacklers on the team last year, yet now he looks like he's never played before?

None of this makes sense. Couple that with Baron Browning's sudden development halt, and it raises the question - what happened? Bill Davis is in his 2nd year with the team as LB coach, and last year he was gifted with a talented veteran group. Kerry Coombs, who was arguably the top DB coach in college football, is gone, and now our DBs look worse than any OSU group this century. Having a player or two take a step back happens. Having your entire back 7 take a step back while seeing no progress with younger players doesn't, especially not at Ohio State.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Borland actually started the final 9 games. When he stepped in, our run defense was immensely improved. He was the defensive player of the game twice and had multiple double digit tackle games. In 6 games this year he has none. Did he just completely forget how to tackle?

Malik Harrison played in 12 games as a freshmen, and then in all 14 last year, though this is his first year starting. Still, last season, his performance had him picked as a rising star, yet now he's just forgotten how to play?

Jordan Fuller started all year last year and looked so good, he was being regarded as the next great Buckeye defensive back to go into the draft, yet now all of the sudden he looks horrible?

Arnette started 12 games last year and was given coaching commendation for his performance in half of them, even getting player of the game in the win over Michigan State. He and Fuller were regarded as two of the top tacklers on the team last year, yet now he looks like he's never played before?

None of this makes sense. Couple that with Baron Browning's sudden development halt, and it raises the question - what happened? Bill Davis is in his 2nd year with the team as LB coach, and last year he was gifted with a talented veteran group. Kerry Coombs, who was arguably the top DB coach in college football, is gone, and now our DBs look worse than any OSU group this century. Having a player or two take a step back happens. Having your entire back 7 take a step back while seeing no progress with younger players doesn't, especially not at Ohio State.

It does when the guys playing the majority of the snaps aren't as good as the ones last year. With Bosa out Ohio State essentially had to replace a top 5 pick, a 2nd rounder a 3rd rounder and a 4th on the D-line. And you had to replace a top 5 pick CB. Sheffield clearly isn't at that level. Everything starts up front. Ohio State had to replace 6 of their front 7 from the end of last year, if what you're saying is correct in regards to Borland.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does when the guys playing the majority of the snaps aren't as good as the ones last year. With Bosa out Ohio State essentially had to replace a top 5 pick, a 2nd rounder a 3rd rounder and a 4th on the D-line. And you had to replace a top 5 pick CB. Sheffield clearly isn't at that level. Everything starts up front. Ohio State had to replace 6 of their front 7 from the end of last year, if what you're saying is correct in regards to Borland.
Holmes was never a starter, and Sprinkle wasn't a full-time starter and he rotated a lot with Landers, but I get what you're saying. Worley was a veteran, but should not have been hard to replace at all. We did almost this exact same thing in 2016 (3 returning defensive starters, 1 at each level), and wound up with a top 10 defense. This is not out of the norm for us. Yet, for some reason, this is the only year under Urban that our defense has looked even remotely this bad. So what changed? Coaches.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holmes was never a starter, and Sprinkle wasn't a full-time starter and he rotated a lot with Landers, but I get what you're saying. Worley was a veteran, but should not have been hard to replace at all. We did almost this exact same thing in 2016 (3 returning defensive starters, 1 at each level), and wound up with a top 10 defense. This is not out of the norm for us. Yet, for some reason, this is the only year under Urban that our defense has looked even remotely this bad. So what changed? Coaches.

The players also changed. Also, I'm not putting it all on the players, it's probably some combination of both. But it's pretty clear Ohio State doesn't have the depth they normally do on defense. And that's to be expected with early entry to the NFL and injuries.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players also changed. Also, I'm not putting it all on the players, it's probably some combination of both. But it's pretty clear Ohio State doesn't have the depth they normally do on defense. And that's to be expected with early entry to the NFL and injuries.
It seems that way, you're right, but this has been the case for years now. Early NFL entries have become the norm at OSU, and we've always been just fine.

Here's a quote from Schiano Monday: “Up until last week, we’ve been one of the best tackling teams in America. Last week we missed 20 tackles. We’ve not missed 20 tackles since we’ve been here.”

Lettermen Row (OSU football news outlet) writes: "Unfortunately, it seems that some of the missed tackles come as a result of being out of position, though, and that’s schematic. That’s at least how former All-American and Butkus Award Winner James Laurinaitis, now a Big Ten Network analyst, saw it — and he’s far from alone in his view."

This is what I mean when I keep saying it's not just me saying this stuff. Sure, some of it's on the players. However, again, you have to scheme to the strengths of your team. This has been where the coaching changes come into play. This was Bill Davis' first offseason working with new starters at LB, and he clearly didn't have them prepared. And again, losing Coombs just can't be overstated. He was integral in the development of our DBs, something Taver Johnson has failed drastically at.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that way, you're right, but this has been the case for years now. Early NFL entries have become the norm at OSU, and we've always been just fine.

Here's a quote from Schiano Monday: “Up until last week, we’ve been one of the best tackling teams in America. Last week we missed 20 tackles. We’ve not missed 20 tackles since we’ve been here.”

Lettermen Row (OSU football news outlet) writes: "Unfortunately, it seems that some of the missed tackles come as a result of being out of position, though, and that’s schematic. That’s at least how former All-American and Butkus Award Winner James Laurinaitis, now a Big Ten Network analyst, saw it — and he’s far from alone in his view."

This is what I mean when I keep saying it's not just me saying this stuff. Sure, some of it's on the players. However, again, you have to scheme to the strengths of your team. This has been where the coaching changes come into play. This was Bill Davis' first offseason working with new starters at LB, and he clearly didn't have them prepared. And again, losing Coombs just can't be overstated. He was integral in the development of our DBs, something Taver Johnson has failed drastically at.

You make good points about the coaching effects. Which I do think there is something to be said for. I also think there's been some misses in recruiting, and the talent usually on defense is just a notch below what it normally is.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make good points about the coaching effects. Which I do think there is something to be said for. I also think there's been some misses in recruiting, and the talent usually on defense is just a notch below what it normally is.
I would absolutely love to see what would happen if they would tweak the defensive scheme. Teams are taking advantage of the fact that Schiano refuses to change. Jeff Brohm even commented on them after the game Saturday, saying he knew the LBs were going to be basically right at the LOS at the snap, so they kept exposing the middle of the field, as teams have done all year. I hope next year, regardless of what happens with Urban, that Alex Grinch takes over as the full-time DC.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would absolutely love to see what would happen if they would tweak the defensive scheme. Teams are taking advantage of the fact that Schiano refuses to change. Jeff Brohm even commented on them after the game Saturday, saying he knew the LBs were going to be basically right at the LOS at the snap, so they kept exposing the middle of the field, as teams have done all year. I hope next year, regardless of what happens with Urban, that Alex Grinch takes over as the full-time DC.

Maybe the personnel doesn't allow for their to be changes. I keep harping on the fact the D-Line isn't as good because it's starts their. Jones and Young are good rushing the passer, but clearly something isn't working there. Unless your LB's are truly MAC level LB's, which might not be that far off.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the personnel doesn't allow for their to be changes. I keep harping on the fact the D-Line isn't as good because it's starts their. Jones and Young are good rushing the passer, but clearly something isn't working there. Unless your LB's are truly MAC level LB's, which might not be that far off.
They didn't look anything like "MAC level LBs" last year, and it'd be unprecedented for 2-3 classes worth of LBs to all be crap at a program like OSU. Like I've been saying, the fact that multiple former players are even calling out the coaching/scheme seems to make a lot of sense to me. Bobby Carpenter spends a ton of time around the team in the offseason, so I would guess he'd have an idea of how talented the group is, and he's been calling out the play-calling on defense for weeks on his radio show.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't look anything like "MAC level LBs" last year, and it'd be unprecedented for 2-3 classes worth of LBs to all be crap at a program like OSU. Like I've been saying, the fact that multiple former players are even calling out the coaching/scheme seems to make a lot of sense to me. Bobby Carpenter spends a ton of time around the team in the offseason, so I would guess he'd have an idea of how talented the group is, and he's been calling out the play-calling on defense for weeks on his radio show.
Hey bro...this thread is for LOL'ing.

You're getting WAY too analytical and serious and shit.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey bro...this thread is for LOL'ing.

You're getting WAY too analytical and serious and shit.
Please accept my apologies. You are correct. Back to the LOLs.

LOL at Western Kentucky for losing in the most absurd way possible.