• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 7 @ KC

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great win last week...4-2....a lot has been said already so I turn the page.

Kansas City Chiefs...my brother in law's long time team...we go h-t-h again....in our annual season long wager, (dinner for two nice eatery) the Steelers have a 2 game lead on the Chiefs.

I'm sure with a week to get ready for our new backup QB, Landry will have a tougher go this week but the team around him is playing well so I see no reason rushing Ben back this week.

Injuries...I'm a day earlier than normal so going off the current news might not shed much light, but now routine...C. Allen (knee), has now become the forgotten man on this team, Tomlin didn't even address his status and apparently wasn't asked. Shazier (shoulder) ...still a practice issue. Tuitt (knee)...he seems to think he's going to play...W. Allen (ankle)...a practice issue.

I left Beachum for last...we all know he's done for the year with an ACL...the most unheralded of the OL cast and for some time...played like the best of the cast...he says he has no regrets for not taking the Steelers offer, but it's human nature...I respect his decision, and wish him well, but most likely he will not be back in PIT next year....Alejandro Villanueva...(cut to discussion board friendly) AV...makes his 1st start @ LT...he played well in back up mode last week.

The Chiefs...it certainly hasn't started the way they expected...now 1-5.

Steeler OFC...Landry is the official starter with Vick limited and Ben trying to work his way back but you don't put him out there against Houston and Hali...Tyler Murphy should be QB2 in this game. We've seen the OFC flow much better with Jones...being honest idk what to expect on the road vs a desperate team but I always feel the best way to attack pass rushers is to run at them...Houston plays the LOLB spot so Gilbert will be tested again, but I expect they will have him line up over AV a few times....Spaeth could be big in this game if AV needs help. Haley's old team so I'm sure he wants to make a good showing. The last 2 games...KC DEF has given 18 and 16 points...we have to take them seriously.

Steeler DEF...Alex Smith is struggling to find a grove with Charles out. Butler needs to shutdown the run and force Smith to win it.

Outlook...I sense Jones comes back to earth a little, but plays well enough to win...I'm nervously taking the Steelers...20-17

What say you?

SteelerKing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm feeling pretty confident about this one after the way we took care of business against a very good Cardinals team and a Chargers squad that I feel is better than their record indicates.

While you're correct in pointing out that the Chiefs only gave up 18 and 16 the past two weeks, that was also against the Bears and the Vikings, who aren't exactly setting the world on fire with their offense. For the season, the Chiefs are just a shadow of their former selves on defense, ranking 1 spot higher than us in total yards surrendered (24th) and 19 spots lower than us in total points surrendered (24th). Justin Houston is still a force to be reckoned with though so we'll need to contain him and Allen Bailey, who is their sacks leader thus far this season.

On offense, Alex Smith doesn't really scare anyone, but he can still put together a great game when the sun is shining on the dog's butt just right. Without Jamaal Charles, they're just not the same team offensively.

No score prediction, just a W. :suds:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm feeling pretty confident about this one after the way we took care of business against a very good Cardinals team and a Chargers squad that I feel is better than their record indicates.

While you're correct in pointing out that the Chiefs only gave up 18 and 16 the past two weeks, that was also against the Bears and the Vikings, who aren't exactly setting the world on fire with their offense. For the season, the Chiefs are just a shadow of their former selves on defense, ranking 1 spot higher than us in total yards surrendered (24th) and 19 spots lower than us in total points surrendered (24th). Justin Houston is still a force to be reckoned with though so we'll need to contain him and Allen Bailey, who is their sacks leader thus far this season.

On offense, Alex Smith doesn't really scare anyone, but he can still put together a great game when the sun is shining on the dog's butt just right. Without Jamaal Charles, they're just not the same team offensively.

No score prediction, just a W. :suds:

They're not...what makes me nervous..., the state of the Chiefs (they have to be desperate for a win), the game is in KC, Landry coming back to earth...(and turning it over)...new LT making his 1st start, and finally, Tomlin's history in games we should win is not great.

Normally I'm not a worry wort...I do think PIT wins, because I don't see KC scoring much on OFC but I can see Landry struggling in this game....curious to see the over/under # on this game but I think 41 max....we shall see.

SteelerKing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin's history in games we should win is not great.

I used to beat this drum all the time along with many others, so I know exactly where you're coming from with it. However, somebody on a forum I used to post on kept telling all of us that it was a myth and posted the link to this article: Are the Steelers actually bad against lousy teams?

One of the bad habits we all have as Steelers fans is that we're so accustomed to success that it feels like failure every time we miss the playoffs or lose games to teams we would've dominated when we were at our peak. We had a couple of "reloading" years (I won't call them rebuilding because the drop off and turn around was brief), but otherwise Tomlin's record against bad teams and losing teams is a lot more stout than we give him credit for.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to beat this drum all the time along with many others, so I know exactly where you're coming from with it. However, somebody on a forum I used to post on kept telling all of us that it was a myth and posted the link to this article: Are the Steelers actually bad against lousy teams?

One of the bad habits we all have as Steelers fans is that we're so accustomed to success that it feels like failure every time we miss the playoffs or lose games to teams we would've dominated when we were at our peak. We had a couple of "reloading" years (I won't call them rebuilding because the drop off and turn around was brief), but otherwise Tomlin's record against bad teams and losing teams is a lot more stout than we give him credit for.

Agreed...not counting this yr he has 82 wins in 8 yrs so he is beating the bad teams more often than not, but when you lose those games like TB last year...it seems like 2 losses.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like everyone's already pointed out the obvious... Good work gents! :suds:

O... I'm pretty worried about how the OT's are going to hold up during this game. Gilbert has a history of getting "owned" by the more agile edge rushers (Dumerville & Houston have ate his lunch numerous times). I think they will keep Hali on AVill (Villanueva) and let Houston do his thing on Gilbert. If that doesn't work out then you'll see them rotate sides more often. I'm with ATL in that I think this game will bring Landry back down to earth a little bit. I'm expecting a few turnovers, but hopefully nothing too damaging :pray: . I've been having nightmares about Landry getting injured though. Because Vick has yet to practice, and Ben is still braced with limited mobility. Tyler Murphy hasn't been promoted from the PS so not sure what the team's plan is if neither Vick or Ben are capable of backing up Landry. You would think at this point they would be giving Murphy some reps behind center to prepare him for emergency. I fear that Haley would go full-bore wildcat lol. Nevertheless, Landry caught the Cards by surprise, and I don't think he will be that lucky this week. I've said it before, but Arrowhead is a nasty place to play in. Landry is going to have trouble getting calls & such with all the noise. Expect that to play a huge factor this week. If they can make enough plays to take the crowd out of the equation then it will be smoother sailing. I expect the team to lean heavily on the run game. Bell & D-Will are going to get the lions share of the offense this week.

D... Nothing really to fear about this team. Maclin is a great WR and capable of torching this D. But I fear more about what Kelce could do. Our D doesn't fare well against upper tier TE's. The front 7 should continue their great play. Tuitt has yet to practice this week so that could play a huge factor. After all the offseason hype I have yet to see Cam Thomas do anything meaningful other than just be his typical moveable object out there. He could fare a little better on the outside. I'm just hoping that it won't come to that lol. Shazier & JJ returned to full participation in practices. Shazier practiced in full twice this week. Not sure what that means anymore since that's what Shazier did last week but still didn't play. Blake returned to practice so hopefully that means the team doesn't sign that McClain guy. Still don't understand why they brought him in for a workout. Give Boykin a chance dammit! Cortez is still being held out with his knee injury, but from his interviews he sounds ready. He's been working with the conditioning coaches during practice, so I'm not sure what the hold up is. Tomlin fearing for his inadequacies or is the knee more of an issue than Cortez lets on? W. Allen is still out so Golden will get the start once again.

I will fearfully take the Steelers 20-13

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like everyone's already pointed out the obvious... Good work gents! :suds:

O... I'm pretty worried about how the OT's are going to hold up during this game. Gilbert has a history of getting "owned" by the more agile edge rushers (Dumerville & Houston have ate his lunch numerous times). I think they will keep Hali on AVill (Villanueva) and let Houston do his thing on Gilbert. If that doesn't work out then you'll see them rotate sides more often. I'm with ATL in that I think this game will bring Landry back down to earth a little bit. I'm expecting a few turnovers, but hopefully nothing too damaging :pray: . I've been having nightmares about Landry getting injured though. Because Vick has yet to practice, and Ben is still braced with limited mobility. Tyler Murphy hasn't been promoted from the PS so not sure what the team's plan is if neither Vick or Ben are capable of backing up Landry. You would think at this point they would be giving Murphy some reps behind center to prepare him for emergency. I fear that Haley would go full-bore wildcat lol. Nevertheless, Landry caught the Cards by surprise, and I don't think he will be that lucky this week. I've said it before, but Arrowhead is a nasty place to play in. Landry is going to have trouble getting calls & such with all the noise. Expect that to play a huge factor this week. If they can make enough plays to take the crowd out of the equation then it will be smoother sailing. I expect the team to lean heavily on the run game. Bell & D-Will are going to get the lions share of the offense this week.

D... Nothing really to fear about this team. Maclin is a great WR and capable of torching this D. But I fear more about what Kelce could do. Our D doesn't fare well against upper tier TE's. The front 7 should continue their great play. Tuitt has yet to practice this week so that could play a huge factor. After all the offseason hype I have yet to see Cam Thomas do anything meaningful other than just be his typical moveable object out there. He could fare a little better on the outside. I'm just hoping that it won't come to that lol. Shazier & JJ returned to full participation in practices. Shazier practiced in full twice this week. Not sure what that means anymore since that's what Shazier did last week but still didn't play. Blake returned to practice so hopefully that means the team doesn't sign that McClain guy. Still don't understand why they brought him in for a workout. Give Boykin a chance dammit! Cortez is still being held out with his knee injury, but from his interviews he sounds ready. He's been working with the conditioning coaches during practice, so I'm not sure what the hold up is. Tomlin fearing for his inadequacies or is the knee more of an issue than Cortez lets on? W. Allen is still out so Golden will get the start once again.

I will fearfully take the Steelers 20-13

Backup QB...I get the sense that Murphy is getting a few 1st team snaps. but I wouldn't be surprised to find that Ben is the backup.

OFC...for all of his glory this week. Landry threw the ball 12 times and connected on 8...the pass to Bryant in the endzone and back shoulder to AB were his most impressive throws...this is most likely going to be a 20-25 pass attempt type game...Bell, and D Will need to get a heavy work load. KC has struggled vs the run...that should give Landry some shots downfield.

Boykin...I think they see him as a slot, and only a slot so I don't see him playing much...Blake's pick 6 gave him a firmer grip on the CB3 spot....C. Allen is out of side out of mind when it comes to Tomlin right now....this guy has to make some huge strides to be on this squad next yr....I hate losing a promising CB with size, but it's not working.

KC...if Maclin doesn't go...the Chiefs have 1 playmaker of note...Kelce....I'm guarded like you because I think Landry goes back to being Landry even though we saw some glimpses in preseason and certainly his best effort last week.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great analyses, gang.

I don't have anything substantive to add, so I'll just leave this here for your enjoyment:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Backup QB...I get the sense that Murphy is getting a few 1st team snaps. but I wouldn't be surprised to find that Ben is the backup.

OFC...for all of his glory this week. Landry threw the ball 12 times and connected on 8...the pass to Bryant in the endzone and back shoulder to AB were his most impressive throws...this is most likely going to be a 20-25 pass attempt type game...Bell, and D Will need to get a heavy work load. KC has struggled vs the run...that should give Landry some shots downfield.

Boykin...I think they see him as a slot, and only a slot so I don't see him playing much...Blake's pick 6 gave him a firmer grip on the CB3 spot....C. Allen is out of side out of mind when it comes to Tomlin right now....this guy has to make some huge strides to be on this squad next yr....I hate losing a promising CB with size, but it's not working.

KC...if Maclin doesn't go...the Chiefs have 1 playmaker of note...Kelce....I'm guarded like you because I think Landry goes back to being Landry even though we saw some glimpses in preseason and certainly his best effort last week.
Steelers Injury Report: Ben Roethlisberger questionable, Mike Vick out vs. the Chiefs

You may be right... Ben could be a "break glass in case of emergency" type backup this week. I still think Murphy gets promoted from the PS to be the primary backup.

Kansas City Chiefs WR Jeremy Maclin expected to play vs. the Steelers in Week 7

Looks like Maclin is ready to go. Like I said before, I'm more worried about Kelce.

Boykin... The trade clause states that if he plays more than 60% of our defensive snaps then the 5th round pick is upgraded to a 4th rounder. That could be playing a factor right now. But they could play him every snap from now til the end of the season and it would only barely reach the 60% threshold for that 4th rounder. I am more interested in the fact that I think there is also a clause that protects us in the trade too. Is there a clause that gives 6th instead of 5th if he plays less than 40%?? :noidea: Other than that, I'm not sure why else he's not seeing the field? Maybe he brought a "Philly attitude" with him to Pittsburgh and he's been rubbing the coaches the wrong way?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh Steelers place Cortez Allen on Injured Reserve, move Tyler Murphy to 53-man roster

Like we suspected. Shocking that 'Tez got placed on IR. IMO the coaching staff has lost complete faith in the kid. He is likely gone after this season.

C. Allen...yep, they have lost faith in this kid...his cap hit is still meaty next year, but with Woodley rolling off, they can afford it...he's going to have to come into camp healthy, and guns a blazin to make this team next year...tough to see a big CB lost at such a young age....'16 is starting to look like a BPA yr the 1st round...but, CB, SS, OT, NT...they have to yield something.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C. Allen...yep, they have lost faith in this kid...his cap hit is still meaty next year, but with Woodley rolling off, they can afford it...he's going to have to come into camp healthy, and guns a blazin to make this team next year...tough to see a big CB lost at such a young age....'16 is starting to look like a BPA yr the 1st round...but, CB, SS, OT, NT...they have to yield something.
IMO this should have been Cortez's last shot at success. They have invested far too much money into someone riding the pine. I'm not exactly sure how much they would save by cutting him and eating the dead money, but I imagine they would save a lot if they made him a June 1st cut.

If the season ended today I would say you are spot on with your BPA assessment. I think only Cortez & Golson are under contract for '16 so that's scary lol. They'll need to work some magic to keep the talent around. Gay, Cockrell & Blake are all worthy of holding onto. I wish we could see more of Boykin to know what exactly we have there. But if they can manage to hold onto at least 3 of those guys, add in a healthy Golson next offseason, CB doesn't look as high of a priority as it once did! OT could see a shakeup. Beach isn't going to get that top 10 tackle money like he wanted, but he'll still be pricey. But if AVill steps up to the plate and performs? Does that give Beach the boot? AVill & Gilbert would be formidable. Not sure what the plan is with Adams, but he could be brought back for cheap depth.

After saying all that... I think SS & NT are the more obvious choices for need judging by in-house talent. McLendon is a UFA next offseason. He shouldn't be extremely expensive to keep around. But he's a replaceable talent IMO. He's good, but not great. A high end draft pick could replace his production. But if we had a shot at Jeremy Cash from Duke... That kid is a beast. He plays both SS & CB. Even lines up as an OLB at some moments. Reminds me of Poly.

Is it too early for a draft thread in here? :noidea:

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thankfully, they didn't show this game in my location. Really thought the Steelers would win this game since the Chiefs were without Charles and Maclin. Seems like we have a few games like this every season for some reason. Kind of like the Jets game last season. Ben had better return so we can have a chance of beating the Bengals next week. I'm still upset about that giveaway game to Baltimore. That one was tough to deal with. They better get their act together if they want to make the playoffs.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad state of affairs today gents! It is what it is...

Coaching... Pretty bad coaching today. Mainly Haley showing how awful he can be in crucial situations. 4 & 1 and you run it to the left behind the weakest part of the line (Foster & AVill) with your backup RB? Haley is the only dumbass that would think that was a smart move. He'll chalk that up to "execution" to cover his own ass like he always does. Guarantee we see lots of stories about how Tomlin always loses these "winnable games". Pretty sad showing, but seeing how banged up the team is I'll give him a pass. Butler's scheme was good, but his tools were inept. More on that in the D section. C+

O... A combination of a bad LT & QB made for a fairly sour day. Add in the inept playcalling in crucial situations... End result was a disaster. Landry's turnovers proved to be too difficult to overcome. We predicted that he would come back to his usual Landry self. Bell, Brown & Bryant were able to have productive outings. So all was not completely lost. DeCastro & Gilbert looked pretty good. C+

D... The opportunistic streak has come to a salty end. The loss of Tuitt played a monumental factor today. They continuously ran the ball with relative ease against Thomas. So I rhetorically ask again... Why did the coaches spoon feed us roaring reviews of Thomas' improvements all offseason? Has coach Mitchell lost his touch? I don't care how good someone looks pushing a sled around Latrobe... If he can't hold his ground or make stops in the run game then he has no business being employed on the pro level. Aside from Thomas, Blake continued to show what a complete liability he is out there. WR2's through WR4's are having career days when they line up against Blake. They need to keep Blake in the slot where he's more equipped to handle the duties. He is awful on the outside. Boykin saw a few snaps today. He didn't look like much of a liability so hopefully he gets more snaps. Gay went down to a shoulder injury so this secondary is going to get a whole lot worse if not. He must have ate Tomlin's lunch at some point. Makes no sense why they don't use him. A few positive notes worth mentioning... Heyward had a good day and so did Mitchell. We are thankfully starting to see some returns from Mitchell. The front 7 pressure was inconsistent, but still present. D+ (seems harsh but going up against a wounded offense without Maclin & Charles... appropriate)

ST... Boswell was his usual studly self. Wish he would have gotten that 51yd attempt on the 4th & 1 play. Didn't even pay attention to the punts so no clue how Berry did. Says he had a 45.5avg so that seems decent. 33 net though.. not so much lol. I'll go with a B-

Overall... Not playing playoff contender type of football right now. But the team is banged up. Hard to piece together wins in the state the team is in. But looking back... Sans Roethlisberger... 2-2 is pretty damn good, all things considered. 3-1 was in reach, but would have been a pipe dream if you would have called that after Ben went down. Still should have played better today. Defense looked like its '13-14 form. I'll be praying for a rebound. C-

Outlook... One more AFC loss to a sub.500 team. Not good at all. Looks like Ben is going to give it a go next week so we have some light on the horizon. We'll need Tuitt back and AVill to step it up. Having a QB with a quicker release and better mobility will improve the entire offense. They should be able to put up more than 3 pts in a half (2 weeks in a row? :L). Just don't be surprised if the playcalling is still suspect! Lookin at you Haley! Big divisional game next week. We'll need all hands on deck against a surprisingly great Bengal team. Dalton is going to shred this secondary so we need the offense to step it up big time.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's too early for me anyway .. just want to get through the season first
I'll remember to avoid draft discussions when you're in the room :D