• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 6: Broncos @ Browns

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 5-0 Broncos take on the 2-3 Browns in week 6. The Browns are not an awful team, and this game being the 4th roadie in 6 games could see the Broncos suffer a little residual fatigue. The good news is if these guys can saddle up one more time they'll be rewarded with their bye.

I know we looked at the Raiders defensive rankings and figured it a game the offense would get it going. I suppose we should give the Raiders a lot of credit: they got up for that game and rightly so. The Broncos have bitch-slapped them around so much recently and with JDR coming over there was a lot of motivation for the Raiders. Consequently they played us well. Looking at the Broncos defense I see another opportunity to get something going on offense. They are giving up nearly 150 on the ground. They are giving up a little over 250 through the air. You can score on them, too.

Oddly enough, their offense is carrying them. They laid an egg week 1, but in a 2-2 stretch since then they're averaging 27 PPG. Despite not having what anyone considers top-tier QB or WRs, the Browns are slinging through the air to nearly 290 yards a game. They don't have much of a running game, though.

I think this is a good matchup for the Broncos. Our offense has a chance to get some forward progress and the defense will be able to contain their ground game and give the secondary some help against a surprisingly respectable pass game.

I don't know much about the Browns special teams but I feel ours are pretty solid following some alarming looks in the preseason.

What I'd like to see: The defense and special teams continue what they're doing. They do that and the Broncos win. If the offense gets either of the passing game or running game going they win big. I'd like to see Manning hit ~275 passing and in INTs. I'd like to see the ground game combine for 125+.

Ultimately I just want to see a win, though.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Demarcus Ware for this game. I think that's okay, the Broncos are deep at pass rushers and against an offense that lacks consistency I think the Broncos will be okay.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm having a hard time getting a read on this Browns team. The Jets game they got blown out but the other two losses were ones that definitely could have gone either way. They are definitely a team that can compete.

Defensively they honestly are not all that great so far this year. They are ranked 30th in the league in total yards, 18th in pass yards given up, and 31st in rush yards per game. Throw in against the pass they are allowing a QB Rating over 100 and are giving up 5 yards per carry in the run game. I mean statistically if there is a game the Broncos should be able to get their offense going it is this one. AT the same time not sure I feel comfortable predicting that this happens.

Offensively they are a top-10 passing team. This will be our biggest test against the pass so far this year. Which to me is so shocking as at the beginning of the year I would say this would be the worst offense we would play all year. Going to be a great test for our secondary. I will say though that our pass rushers should stand a good chance of getting home. Cleveland is 3rd worst in sacks given up this year with 18.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have yet to be over confident( in my mind at least) in any game so far this yr. I don't expect that to change this wknd either. Of course I'm hoping for this team to score some TD's on offense. If they do then the game could be lopsided in their favor. If the O struggles again.....I will be drinking more...again.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Joe Haden will not be playing for the Browns as he is in the concussion protocol. So looks like both teams will be missing a huge player on defense.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver Broncos have waived Mitchell Henrey and signed Richard Gordon. This stinks as I just got done bragging about Mitchell Henry not being the one cut when we added Derek Wolfe. Don't know much about Richard Gordon. He has been in the league I think 5 years. Not much of a receiving option but could be a decent blocker/special teams player.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns offense has been surprisingly great. This should be a good test for our defense, especially for Barrett and Ray as they fill in for Ware. Any news on Talib? I know he hurt his ankle against the Raiders, but I haven't heard anything since them so I'm guessing it's not too serious.

This week I want to see the offense do something. The Browns are giving up 26.4 points per game, which is 22nd in the league. They are also 22nd in third down percentage allowed, 18th in pass defense, and 31st in run defense. Basically, if we can't run the ball this week, we won't be running on anyone.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this is the info I have on injuries right now. I'll update as I learn more. Players that did not practice today were D.Ware, Aqib Talib, Louis Vasquez, D. Thomas, Evan Mathis, Juwan Thompson, and Peyton Manning. Most of those were expected honestly. The extent of their injuries hasn't been said and which ones were actually just veteran days off.

Now the really good news for the Broncos is that Ty Sambrailo practiced for the first time since his injury. Good chance he actually plays this week. Have to see how much as the Broncos had a rotation going on at the LT spot in this last game with Harris and Polumbus. My guess is if given the go which he probably will unless there is a set back that Sambrailo is once again our starting LT. Harris has not done well and really struggled against the Raiders. Just seems we haven't found the best player at that position yet. The bigger question could become though what do the Broncos do at RT if Sambrailo is given the LT spot again? Schofield has actually played pretty darn well at the spot where Harris was struggling at times on the Right as well.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok looks like I missed some injury information. Owen Daniels should be added to that list of players who did not practice. Also Manning did throw just a little bit at the beginning of practice but that was it.

Aqib Talib was at practice but did not take any reps. He ran on the sideline a little and the media present thought he looked like he was moving ok. Remember he did play after spraining the ankle so good chance he plays in this one. Thankfully we do have our Bye Week coming up. I'm actually liking the timing of this Bye Week as our OL needs to get healthy. Hard to build unity when all these guys are missing all but one practice a week before the game.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take and stats from Bill Polian on NFL insiders today. Polian who is a very respected former GM with Colts ( most notably ) and analyst for Insiders and very knowledgeable IMO when asked if Denvers offensive woes were due to Manning. he said " absolutely not, its the offensive line. He then read some interesting stats.... Manning has been pressured 23 % of time compared to 14% last yr. He`s been blitzed 41% this yr compared to 28% last yr. Here`s a very telling stat by espn stats expert Doug Klaus ( not sure of spelling ) that shows the Denver O-line has the least amount of movement ( push from scrimmage ) than any of the top teams in the NFL. Pretty obvious to me that it is the main prob and others as well but many are putting blame on Manning and Rbs which I think is not warranted.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take and stats from Bill Polian on NFL insiders today. Polian who is a very respected former GM with Colts ( most notably ) and analyst for Insiders and very knowledgeable IMO when asked if Denvers offensive woes were due to Manning. he said " absolutely not, its the offensive line. He then read some interesting stats.... Manning has been pressured 23 % of time compared to 14% last yr. He`s been blitzed 41% this yr compared to 28% last yr. Here`s a very telling stat by espn stats expert Doug Klaus ( not sure of spelling ) that shows the Denver O-line has the least amount of movement ( push from scrimmage ) than any of the top teams in the NFL. Pretty obvious to me that it is the main prob and others as well but many are putting blame on Manning and Rbs which I think is not warranted.

Here is how I view it...Manning is about 30% responsible for the struggles, the OL is about 40% of the struggles, the RB's are about 20% of the struggles, and the coaching is another 10%. Manning is not making the best decisions. Against the Vikings that 1st interception to me is all on him. He has seen teams do that to him a thousand times of drop the linebacker into that zone spot yet he had made up his mind from the snap to throw it to that spot. He is taking his first read way too much this year in the hopes that it works out where there have been a lot of plays with guys wide open that Manning is missing. OL yes I do think they have to do better in both run and pass blocking. I've watched enough of the games to see that what teams are doing when they do bring pressure is they like to bring a little more of a delayed blitz because the OL guys keep locking onto their guys and won't look for the 2nd guy coming. In run blocking they just are not getting any kind of push. RB's wise though I do think they have been pretty bad vision wise. There have been some great cut back lanes for them to run through and instead they just run into the huge pile of 300 lb. men gaining only 2 yards. Coaching wise some of the play calling is suspect as they do seem to abandon the run game way too early in my opinion. I know it isn't going great but I would rather have a 2-yard run than an incomplete stopping the clock. Plus our OL needs that time to grow.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So some high praise for our defense this week. Tom Jackson of the original "Orange Crush" defense has said he thinks this unit is better than that of the 1977 group. He said that with the rules of the NFL today defense has never been harder to play yet this defense is still dominating. Hopefully that rings true throughout the season not just the first few games.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns win IF...

Oh who the hell am I kidding!?:noidea:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright so full injury report for both teams is out. Here is how it breaks down...

DNP--Owen Daniels, Peyton Manning, Evan Mathis, Aqib Talib, D. Thomas, Juwan Thompson, Louis Vasquez, D. Ware. Vasquez, Daniels, and Manning are not injury related.

Limited--Bennie Fowler, Ryan Harris, Cody Latimer, and Ty Sambrailo

Everyone else were full participants expected to be available for this upcoming game.

For the Browns

DNP--Sashaun Gipson, Joe Haden, Craig Robertson, Scott Solomon, Randy Starks, Joe Thomas
Starks and Thomas are not injury related

Limited--Desmond Bryant, Isaiah Crowell, Karlos DAnsby, Shaun Draughn, Josh McCown, Robert Turbin

All others were full participants

Looks like both teams a little beat up right now.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is how I view it...Manning is about 30% responsible for the struggles, the OL is about 40% of the struggles, the RB's are about 20% of the struggles, and the coaching is another 10%. Manning is not making the best decisions. Against the Vikings that 1st interception to me is all on him. He has seen teams do that to him a thousand times of drop the linebacker into that zone spot yet he had made up his mind from the snap to throw it to that spot. He is taking his first read way too much this year in the hopes that it works out where there have been a lot of plays with guys wide open that Manning is missing. OL yes I do think they have to do better in both run and pass blocking. I've watched enough of the games to see that what teams are doing when they do bring pressure is they like to bring a little more of a delayed blitz because the OL guys keep locking onto their guys and won't look for the 2nd guy coming. In run blocking they just are not getting any kind of push. RB's wise though I do think they have been pretty bad vision wise. There have been some great cut back lanes for them to run through and instead they just run into the huge pile of 300 lb. men gaining only 2 yards. Coaching wise some of the play calling is suspect as they do seem to abandon the run game way too early in my opinion. I know it isn't going great but I would rather have a 2-yard run than an incomplete stopping the clock. Plus our OL needs that time to grow.
You make some good points Cd like normal and agree with most but when your Qb is pressured and blitzed 48 % of the time and pressured repeatedly, he is going to have to take the first read because he doesn't have the time to go to his 2nd read and thus he is more vulnerable to mistakes. The wr isn`t getting time to separate and Manning is being forced to throw the ball sooner than he likes. 43 % compared to 28 % from last yr is a HUGE dif. Manning definitely has not been used to this kind of pressure, blitzing, etc than he has in a very long time. Give him more time, establish some sort of run game and his performance and the turnovers will start improving. IMO of course :)

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just married into a bunch of browns fans. Wamu, I am starting to get a clearer picture of your all's state of mind.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make some good points Cd like normal and agree with most but when your Qb is pressured and blitzed 48 % of the time and pressured repeatedly, he is going to have to take the first read because he doesn't have the time to go to his 2nd read and thus he is more vulnerable to mistakes. The wr isn`t getting time to separate and Manning is being forced to throw the ball sooner than he likes. 43 % compared to 28 % from last yr is a HUGE dif. Manning definitely has not been used to this kind of pressure, blitzing, etc than he has in a very long time. Give him more time, establish some sort of run game and his performance and the turnovers will start improving. IMO of course :)

Then I guess I put this more on the coaching staff than before. If teams are blitzing us that much then it should leave the middle of the field wide open. We need to be running more hot routes so as to get the ball out of Manning's hands in a hurry and sorry 58Crash I don't mean more Screen passes. I do think the RB screen needs to happen a bit more but not the WR screen. I mean more quick slants as both DT and Sanders have that kind of speed. That is how you counter the blitz. The WR's have to win those battles at the LOS against press man coverage.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just married into a bunch of browns fans. Wamu, I am starting to get a clearer picture of your all's state of mind.

I'm married to a Broncos fans, almost 24 years now. And even though I have gone to 1 game each year @ Mile High since the 2010 season she's been giving shit about the upcoming game all week. So I told her I wasn't gonna watch it /w her.:D

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's see...Duh Browns: Rebuilding since 1999, they were the only team this year eliminated from the Playoffs during the preseason & I once left 3 tickets to a Browns game on the windshield of my car on game day & when I returned there were 9!:L

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see...Duh Browns: Rebuilding since 1999, they were the only team this year eliminated from the Playoffs during the preseason & I once left 3 tickets to a Browns game on the windshield of my car on game day & when I returned there were 9!:L
Wow, I feel genuinely sad for you right now. McCowen played really well last week tho