• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 6 A.J. Green NonParticipation Trophy

Which Bengal will embarrass himself, his wife, and his girlfriend against the Colts?

• A.J. Green

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Bobby Hart

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alex Redmond

• William Jackson

• Carlos Dunlap

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other: Specify in comments

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals defense lol.

Just the matchup Philip Rivers needed to save his job.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far the winner is the D line

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They’ll lose this game. But Hobs and the coaching staff will beat their chest about having a 21-0 lead at one point.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fat Randy. Couldn’t make a clutch kick to save his family from being wacked.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone remember that heavy blitz/pressure package Lou ran against the Ravens that seemed to work pretty well?

Glad they chose not to run that this week. Against happy feet Philip Rivers on the verge of being benched. That studly 4 man rush of Kareem, Covington, X. Williams and Lawson was much more effective. Especially with Dunlap and Geno sitting on the bench.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone have Zac Taylor for today's non-participation trophy? I fell like I've been pretty patient with the Taylor era - I understand what a mess the roster was when Marvin was finally jettisoned and I think it's okay for a young coach to make some mistakes. But, it's becoming very clear that this guy can't coach.... Interesting to me is to think back on the stories of how he was selected. The way the stories were told, Taylor was the choice of Duke Tobin - It's hard to imagine anyone being as bad at their job as Duke Tobin has been the past 5 years and still keeping that job.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone have Zac Taylor for today's non-participation trophy? I fell like I've been pretty patient with the Taylor era - I understand what a mess the roster was when Marvin was finally jettisoned and I think it's okay for a young coach to make some mistakes. But, it's becoming very clear that this guy can't coach.... Interesting to me is to think back on the stories of how he was selected. The way the stories were told, Taylor was the choice of Duke Tobin - It's hard to imagine anyone being as bad at their job as Duke Tobin has been the past 5 years and still keeping that job.
Here's the thing now - with Burrow in tow - Mixon, Higgins, Boyd - the offense is set up. They need a few OL, but the offense has a chance with Burrow to be really, really good. We see flashes of that now with a poor OL and poor play-calling. Imagine what they can do with some protection and some actual offensive coaching/playcalling.

The defense should be better. The DL is just flat out of players. Hard to really gauge what they can do, but returning Atkins, Reader, Hubbard, Lawson healthy next year would be a solid foundation. The young LB's have flashed, and the DB's get back the #1 CB, but I think they could still use another DB in the draft and safety as well. But, I don't think it's a total wreck - again - with the proper coaching and play-calling.

All of that is to say - I think if they fired ZT now, or before the season ends - you can end up with a much better pool of candidates willing to come in and take the job. The offense is really just a step away from exploding (protection) and the right DC can get this group back in shape and continue to build on the youth from the previous draft and F/A period. I'm happy for AJ that he played well yesterday, but letting him and Dunlap walk would save quite a bit of cash towards more F/A - so there is going to be some more F/A money that can be spent upgrading more around Burrow and maybe an additional DL/DB.

In a perfect world - I would hire Bienemy (who I wanted last time) - and then I would hire Zimmer (who is likely to be fired after this year if this keeps up) to run the D - and help Bienemy be the 1st time coach.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing now - with Burrow in tow - Mixon, Higgins, Boyd - the offense is set up. They need a few OL, but the offense has a chance with Burrow to be really, really good. We see flashes of that now with a poor OL and poor play-calling. Imagine what they can do with some protection and some actual offensive coaching/playcalling.

The defense should be better. The DL is just flat out of players. Hard to really gauge what they can do, but returning Atkins, Reader, Hubbard, Lawson healthy next year would be a solid foundation. The young LB's have flashed, and the DB's get back the #1 CB, but I think they could still use another DB in the draft and safety as well. But, I don't think it's a total wreck - again - with the proper coaching and play-calling.

All of that is to say - I think if they fired ZT now, or before the season ends - you can end up with a much better pool of candidates willing to come in and take the job. The offense is really just a step away from exploding (protection) and the right DC can get this group back in shape and continue to build on the youth from the previous draft and F/A period. I'm happy for AJ that he played well yesterday, but letting him and Dunlap walk would save quite a bit of cash towards more F/A - so there is going to be some more F/A money that can be spent upgrading more around Burrow and maybe an additional DL/DB.

In a perfect world - I would hire Bienemy (who I wanted last time) - and then I would hire Zimmer (who is likely to be fired after this year if this keeps up) to run the D - and help Bienemy be the 1st time coach.
I agree that the Bengals are in an interesting position to build around Burrow, Higgins, Mixon and Boyd. That is a great young core of offensive playmaking. And there are some serviceable parts on D with some big potential to free up salary cap space by getting rid of the old guys. It's actually a favorable position for a good coach. And yes, having a young offensive guy paired with an experienced D-coordinator like Zimmer would be optimal. I'm just not sure the organization will pull the trigger.

For a temporary move, I'd like to see someone pull playcalling from Taylor. If Tobin had to fear for job security, he should do it. It's clear that Taylor can't both manage a game and call plays.

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean yes Zac Taylor is trash but if I start going down that path then eventually Mike Brown would just win every week. So I'm not saying a coach can't win but it probably requires a level of incompetence that stands out, which is saying something for the Bengals.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest issue is that ZT continues to pass the ball way more than he needs to. Mixon had 11 attempts in the 1st half. He finished the game with 18 - in a game they lost by 1 score. There was ZERO reason to give up. The Bengals passed the ball 40 times and rushed 32 in a game they were within 1 score (or led) the entire game. That's just piss poor offensive play calling.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest issue is that ZT continues to pass the ball way more than he needs to. Mixon had 11 attempts in the 1st half. He finished the game with 18 - in a game they lost by 1 score. There was ZERO reason to give up. The Bengals passed the ball 40 times and rushed 32 in a game they were within 1 score (or led) the entire game. That's just piss poor offensive play calling.
I wish Taylor would give playcalling over to Brian Callahan. I don't think he can handle calling a game at this point of his career.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Taylor would give playcalling over to Brian Callahan. I don't think he can handle calling a game at this point of his career.
Agreed.

Through the 1st four games the Bengals led the NFL in passing attempts on 1st down, by a wide margin. They also led the NFL in rushing attempts on 2nd down. They were the worst rushing team in terms of yards gained on 2nd down. Not surprisingly, they led the NFL in terms of longest 3rd down and distance to go.

I'm all for passing on 1st down, but there has to be a mix and match. Without fail, ZT falls into the pattern of pass 1st down (incomplete/short/nogain) then rushing on 2nd down leading to 3rd and long with an OL that simply can't sustain a clean pocket.

Also, could we get some variation in the run game? The formations are very stale and very predictable.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could be with the rookies starting in the offseason, the playbook will open up gradually as the season moves on.

at least we aren't running the shovel pass on every third down, watch me jinx it.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they at least got AJ to participate in the offense. would have been special if he caught that long ball, but at least he didn't play like he was dying.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they at least got AJ to participate in the offense. would have been special if he caught that long ball, but at least he didn't play like he was dying.
He made good contested catches, and found space in the zones. He'll likely never be a long-ball threat again because he's got no speed. The more I watch him, the more I still think his best bet for 2-3 more years in the NFL is to add about 10-15lbs, move to the slot, and be a possession WR. His ability to sit in a zone, and matchup against nickle and dime CB's will give him a physical edge, and while missing a few steps, he can still make catches against LB's. The problem for him right now is that there shouldn't be a DB out there worried about getting beat deep and should be pressing him all day long. In the slot, and with motion, you can help to create space for him to work in.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made good contested catches, and found space in the zones. He'll likely never be a long-ball threat again because he's got no speed. The more I watch him, the more I still think his best bet for 2-3 more years in the NFL is to add about 10-15lbs, move to the slot, and be a possession WR. His ability to sit in a zone, and matchup against nickle and dime CB's will give him a physical edge, and while missing a few steps, he can still make catches against LB's. The problem for him right now is that there shouldn't be a DB out there worried about getting beat deep and should be pressing him all day long. In the slot, and with motion, you can help to create space for him to work in.

He needs to install the Wendy's rewards app.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would disagree with this, only because I believe it is the defensive coordinator and the talent overall across the oline that is f'n us. Although, that was on Taylor for hiring him, but when you have qualified verteran DC not wanting to coach under a rookie head coach, the pickins are slim. Then you tried, drafted a future LT with your first pick ever as a head coach. Forced to use guys that Troy refuses to admit he made a mistake on in Hart, and has brainwashed Turner into thinking that Hart is the next coming of Willie Anderson.

I think our offense is pretty good when given time, I think the game plan is okay. I think the clock management is light years ahead of Marvin. Where he made his mistake was hiring Anarumo and being forced to deal with Bobby Hart.

It will be nice if we had a competent RT along with a healthy Su'a-Filo at RG still. Williams is still basically a rookie coming off an injury year that not only distanced him a year from football, but a year away from football where the competition went from college to pros. I think he will be okay, I hope. I think Zimmer is going to get fired, and I hope to hell we are smart enough to snatch him back up and make him our defensive coordinator again to shape these soft assholes into football players again.