• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 17: Giants @ Redskins

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skins, Saints, and a Lions blowout and I'm loving life. Redskins @ Lions

If one wants to see the Skins in the 2nd rd of the playoffs (should they advance to the postseason) The above is w/o question the most desired 1st rd opponent for the Skins.

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about this game the more I want their starters to play the entire game. Hear me out. This game means absolutely nothing to these starters, but it means the world to every 2nd and 3rd stringer on their team. A chance to prove to the coach that they deserve a promotion. Extra hustle, extra effort. The starters could give a crap about this game... just want it to be done and on to the playoff game. Yes, give me the nonchalant don't really give a damn starters over an eager and over anxious wanna be.

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If one wants to see the Skins in the 2nd rd of the playoffs (should they advance to the postseason) The above is w/o question the most desired 1st rd opponent for the Skins.
Im done wishing for a certain team to play. We proved last year that doesn't work. GB a lame duck team came to our house and took it to us. Please don't wish for an opponent. Lets just face who we get and kick their ass.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im done wishing for a certain team to play. We proved last year that doesn't work. GB a lame duck team came to our house and took it to us. Please don't wish for an opponent. Lets just face who we get and kick their ass.

Why was GB a lame duck team last year? And if you really thought the Skins were supposed to make some noise last year in the playoffs and beat GB. That's on you. Was I hopeful we'd beat them? Sure, I was, but c'mon man. We didn't beat a team with a winning record the entire regular season last year. Did you really think that trend was changing in the postseason where we'd be facing the best of the best in the NFC?

We were also the best of something last year. The best team in the shittiest division in football. That's the only reason the Skins made the playoffs. Expecting the Skins to win a playoff game last year wasn't very realistic. But something even more important happened. It all began to click for Kirk Cousins. That was our major victory for last year. Call it a step in the right direction and imo, we're a better team now, at least offensively than last year.

And ain't nothing wrong, at least imo, with hoping to play one team over another. Teams play the entire reg season to get homefield and face the lowest seed team they possibly can to start the postseason, same difference.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wanted Minnesota.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted Minnesota.

I just want us to win and get in this weekend. I will worry about who we play once I know we are playing some one.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we lose barry will be gone on black monday and the gus bradely era will begin Help is on Its way

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want us to win and get in this weekend. I will worry about who we play once I know we are playing some one.
I agree, but I was referring to last year, when we.were already in.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair this has way more to do with running not being an option when you trail more than anything else. The running is the effect not the cause most of theS time.

How many games were the Skins blown out in so they had to pass? You'll find your statement is wrong. Stats say so too.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many games were the Skins blown out in so they had to pass? You'll find your statement is wrong. Stats say so too.

Just a quick question about this because I read it as Gruden's penchant for giving up on the run whether trailing or the run game is ineffective.... he did say "trailing" so, I could be wrong about that.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very enlightening take from Spags about stopping the Redskins offense. The biggest takeaway is his comments about the Redskins offensive line, which I think is most interesting.

Giants gameplan for Redskins' offensive weapons 

“They might have more weapons than anyone that we’ve faced so far,” Spagnuolo said this week. “Every week, we put up the players that we need to stop. This week, the list was really long. Usually, you have three or four, but this week we ran out of room on the page. They’re scary good on offense. We have to figure out a way to slow them down enough so that our team can win a football game. They can move the ball and score points.”

That they can. The Redskins are third in the NFL in yards-per game (411.3), second in yards-per-play (6.5), and second in passing yards-per-game (300.8). They have scored 386 points – 95 more than the Giants. Quarterback Kirk Cousins is second in the league with 4,630 passing yards, has completed 67.3 percent of his passes, and has thrown for 24 touchdowns against just 10 interceptions. Washington has three wide receivers (Pierre Garcon, Jamison Crowder and Desean Jackson), two tight ends (Pro Bowler Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis), and a running back (Chris Thompson) with at least 42 catches. Rookie running back Robert Kelley has been an impressive No. 1 back in the second half of the season, and the offensive line is huge from tackle to tackle and features Pro Bowlers in Trent Williams and Brandon Scherff.

“We’ve played some teams that have had some skill outside, but the O-line has struggled, so you attack them and win that way,” Spagnuolo said. “This team doesn’t really have a weakness. They all can take short passes and go long. We know DeSean Jackson has been doing it forever. We just have to go in and do what we need to do. We have to be the best us. Try and stop the third-ranked NFL offense.”

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a quick question about this because I read it as Gruden's penchant for giving up on the run whether trailing or the run game is ineffective.... he did say "trailing" so, I could be wrong about that.

Thanks for interceding Sty. ehb said that the stat had more to do with the team trailing in which case they quit running to throw the ball. He schooled me earlier in the year and told me that this it the new NFL and because I was 70 and remembered Knute Rockne football I was not apprised of present day tactics. We lost three games by 3, 4 and 5 points. We lost to the Cardinals by 8 and lost the 4th quarter 14-3. We were down to the Panthers by 4 at halftime ran the ball 13 times (including two scrambles by Cousins) compared to 47 passes. We lost by 11 points and we got lost to Pittsburgh by 12. 12 runs to 43 passes. Our largest loss of the year.
LOS
My point in maybe two games were we behind to the point that we had to throw but even that is debatable. Why is the run game important? Well when there is a threat of run LBers have to respect play action and play closer to the LOS. That in turn opens holes in the zone. If you think back to the Pittsburgh game their LBers were getting great drops and Kirk threw two picks .... surprisingly to LBers.

In the Panther game they shut our run down early and we gave up. Now they attacked us differently. They used pressure. Cousins threw one pick which ended up in three points for Carolina and VD missed a wham block on blitz, Cousins got hit from the blind side and the Panthers recovered the ball inside the 1.

Now lets go back and figure out how the lack of a run game didn't i.e. lack of balance didn't result in that 0-5 record as stated in the stat Cali posted. So I might not be 25 but I do know and understand football, 40 years ago and today. I understand old school running downs are todays passing downs. I also understand that this is not flag football or 7 on 7 and you still have run.

If I understood incorrectly I apologize but I am pretty sure I understood the premise. :2cents:

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Talking less so about the skins and more just overall. It's pretty commonly known that that's the wrong way of looking at that relationship. I want us to run the ball too but the whole hey we ran more and won idea is suuuper flawed.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll have to agree to disagree. Stats say otherwise. :suds:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1