• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 10, Arizona Cardinals @ Los Angeles Rams, SoFi Stadium, Sunday, 11/13/2022. 1:25 PM PST

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea it was and it clearly demonstrates just how negligent the Shit-fer-Brains Twins have been with the O and D-lines and the RB situations.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea it was and it clearly demonstrates just how negligent the Shit-fer-Brains Twins have been with the O and D-lines and the RB situations.
Yeah, it was completely obvious what they thought of the OL when they passed on so many great OL prospects to draft the midget Atwell ( who McVay refuses to use anyway ).

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noteboom was better when Whitworth was on the team. When ever he had to fill in for Whit he played great. Maybe bring back Whit as an O-line coach next season.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this on the Athletic. It’s from a day or two ago. I’m going to split it up into five parts. I’d link it but it’s a pay site.

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — If you thought the Rams were turning the corner on their catastrophic injury woes, the universe has other ideas.

Rams head coach Sean McVay said Wednesday that quarterback Matthew Stafford has entered the concussion protocol, stemming from symptoms ascertained by the training staff following a bleak loss in Tampa Bay. Stafford was hit eight times and sacked four times in the loss; while McVay declined to specifically confirm that Stafford had been diagnosed with a concussion (it’s possible to enter the protocol without a diagnosis), his symptoms were such that he will have to clear the five-step protocol if he wants to return to action.

Ahead of the Rams’ Week 10 game against the similarly-flailing Cardinals, here are 10 things I think:

1. John Wolford is the backup quarterback if Stafford can’t go, but the Rams should at least spitball a couple of red zone packages that also include backup Bryce Perkins. Why the hell not? Wolford, who wrote a meticulously-detailed op-ed for The Athletic last month that illustrates his preparation for this very moment, just wants to win. He said Wednesday that he doesn’t want there to be any limitations to what McVay feels he can or can’t call (McVay previously lamented calling a designed run in 2020, Wolford’s last start for the Rams, that ended with Wolford rushing out of the stadium in an ambulance). All options should indeed be on the table. And, hear me out, it’s not like the Rams’ red zone production can get much worse.

2. I think it’s never good for any player to go through any sort of injury, but in hindsight, Wolford did get some valuable reps with the first-team offense all through training camp — where otherwise he would not have done so, had Stafford not been on a pitch count because of an ongoing elbow issue.

“I think, throughout training camp, John did a pretty good job,” said veteran receiver Allen Robinson. “He’s quiet, but he prepares like anybody else. We see that. We got a lot of reps from him.”

Last edited:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3. I think this may be the week running back Kyren Williams returns and actually gets some snaps, which McVay sounded optimistic about on Wednesday. Williams’ workload in practices when healthy indicates that the Rams would like him to take on a prominent role when safe to do so, but I’d imagine it will take a little time to get him up to playing speed.

4. Center Brian Allen was listed as “did not practice” on Wednesday and is dealing with some knee swelling (and recently had to get his knee drained again) but I think he’ll play Sunday. Allen was among the more vocal players calling on the team to get itself together on Sunday, in a dismal locker room setting (as was star cornerback Jalen Ramsey). How do prominent players express themselves honestly while also keeping the overall environment cohesive?

“You’ve got to let people express themselves and you’ve got to let people kind of feel what they feel,” said inside linebacker and team captain Bobby Wagner. “But at the end of the day, as leaders, you try to make sure that there’s no separation, which there’s not. I think there’s so much confidence with everybody in the organization that we can turn this thing around. It’s enough words, we have to go out and do it.”

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5. The Rams’ practice was closed to media Wednesday, for the purposes of what they call a “jog-through”. McVay reiterated that this decision was not connected to Stafford’s situation; the Rams have historically moved to a closed Wednesday about halfway through each season. That means that the injury report was more of an informal estimation: Greg Gaines (elbow), Alaric Jackson (knee), Malcolm Brown (hamstring), Robert Rochell (illness) and Travin Howard (hip) were among those who didn’t practice.

6. Rams offensive lineman Bobby Evans gave up three sacks and six of the Bucs’ 12 pressures on Sunday. He’s unlikely to stay in this role, depending on the trajectory of guard/center Coleman Shelton. Shelton can play on the left or right side and was elevated into the activation window off of injured reserve. Chandler Brewer played well as a reserve right guard last week; the Rams may keep him there and swing Shelton over to the left.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7. One of the frequently-asked questions I got last week: Why was Evans starting at left guard over newcomers Matt Skura or Oday Aboushi?

Evans was never supposed to be in this position, first of all. My sense is that the Rams’ preferred trajectory for him was to be an extra lineman for heavier run-blocking packages. But Evans knows the Rams’ language on the offensive line, and it’s the center and left-of-center who are running the silent count/cadence (the Rams are on their silent count a whole lot). So, they had the option: Change the entire language for 10 other players, including a revolving door at running back, or ask the one guy who knows the language to start? They went with the latter. It’s hard to say it worked out for them, but the former option isn’t feasible.

8. I think Sunday against Arizona is a must-win for the spiraling Rams, with the trajectory of the rest of the season at stake. At 3-5, they’re running out of shovel to dig themselves out of this hole. They’ve already lost two games to the in-division 49ers, and sweeping Arizona at least sets them up in a better spot without having even played Seattle yet. Problem is, it’s also a must-win game for the Cardinals.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9. The Rams announced they were waiving safety Terrell Burgess and tight end Kendall Blanton on Tuesday. Burgess was a player who they included in some trade conversations, to my knowledge, but it’s disappointing to see how his professional trajectory has gone since he was a third-round pick in 2020. Former defensive coordinator Brandon Staley was especially high on Burgess through the draft process, because he wanted to turn him into a versatile underneath-coverage player who could move around and defend some of the softer parts of the Rams’ zone (similar to how the Rams sometimes use their “Star” players now). Burgess suffered a bad ankle injury his rookie season and had trouble finding a relevant role in the defensive rotation when he returned in 2021.

Regarding Blanton, the issue seems to be more about using a badly-needed roster spot to keep the numbers balanced in regard to those returning from injured reserve/players who regularly play special teams, which Blanton does not. But, unless something dramatically changes, the Rams’ own 2021 second-round pick, Tutu Atwell, is also commanding a roster spot without a clear role on offense and also doesn’t play special teams. Like Blanton, Atwell was a healthy scratch Sunday in Tampa Bay.

10. In Sunday’s postgame column, I revealed the results of a crucial (and mind-blowing) three-and-out query: The Rams offense is averaging 16.38 points per game (third-lowest in the NFL). When the defense — which is limiting teams to just 17.8 points per game (sixth-best in the NFL), and ranks No. 10 in the NFL in forcing three-and-outs — gets a three-and-out or turnover on downs, the offense responds with a three-and-out of their own on 38.7 percent of possessions. Yikes.

But it does, in fact, get worse. The Rams have the highest three-and-out rate in the NFL in 2022, and it’s also the highest three-and-out rate of any team in which Stafford has been at quarterback through the first nine games of a season. Yes, that includes some truly bad Lions teams.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson may be out at LT due to injury and Gaines will probably not play due to shoulder injury. We may see Nsekhe at LT and a combo of A-Ron, Hoecht. and Brown at DT.

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on top theres an article cirulating that OBJ has 5 teams in his radar, and the rams of course are not one of them. Why would he come back to this shit show where as a HC don't know his head from his ASS nor could he coach his way out of a paper bag so there goes that. I looked at the draft scenarios for next season and idk about that either. A bunch of shitty late round picks, and 2 dumb asses who couldn't find the right player to draft if he smacked them in the face. Our season is over, the brain trust can't be trusted, too fucking dumb to be trusted, and too damn stubborn to change what needs to be changed. I'm not watching this shit show at 4pm, catch me up on the high lights..

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wolford is in and is doing as good as Stafford so far.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Akers getting alot more touches. Running game is getting going I hope.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something Stafford doesn't do this year is run. Wolford does.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Professional players fumbling the football? These eff-ups can't get out of their own way fast enough.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good grief, effin McShit-fer-Brains has to call a timeout already!