• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Way to go RPI!!!! ( sarcasm )

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are currently 5 teams in the top 30 in RPI that arent in the top 30 of ANY OTHER widely used metric ( Sagarin, Pomeroy, Massey, BPI )... I noticed this early in the year but chalked it up to an anomaly. Now we are 75% of the way through the year and it still sits like that. So Ill ask again the same question I asked earlier this year. Why does the committee use the WORST possible metric in discussing teams resumes??? This shit happens every damn year. It would be one thing if the RPI took more variables into account and thats why it had the differences but it actually uses less data. SO we use the worst metric with the least amount of data to help select the tourney teams... That makes sense. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UMass ( who is 12th in RPI BTW... LOL ), Toledo, George Washington, Colorado.... Guess its only 4 since UConn is also 30th in one other metric but still.... Pretty shityy especially when 1 of the 4 is 12th and not above 35 in any other metric.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with the RPI. Sure it has flaws, but any other metric ranking does as well.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UMass ( who is 12th in RPI BTW... LOL ), Toledo, George Washington, Colorado.... Guess its only 4 since UConn is also 30th in one other metric but still.... Pretty shityy especially when 1 of the 4 is 12th and not above 35 in any other metric.

Umass being 12th is a little high, but they do have 4 top 50 wins and 11 top 100 wins. Are they the 12th best team in the country? No I don't think so, but their resume is very very good. I hate metrics that use MOV in their rankings. What's it matter if you win by 1 or 100? I don't, just always been my line of thought, which I'm sure most people disagree with.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the pure homer in me noticed this because Iowa is 6th in 2 of the other metrics ( Sagarin and Pomeroy ), 1th in BPI and 13 in Massey but now sits 31st in RPI. Now while I do not think Iowa is the 6th best team in the country AI do think they are a hell of a lot closer to 6th than they are 31st so it made me take a closer look at RPI and man does that metric suck in general when compared to the others.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they choose that one so they have more commitee control over which bubble teams get in?

Kind of like the bowl system. If push comes to shove you pick teams where the fan base will travel well and the games will be most intriguing for tv viewership. The host city needs to fill hotels and the tv advertisers need to get the most bang for their buck.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umass being 12th is a little high, but they do have 4 top 50 wins and 11 top 100 wins. Are they the 12th best team in the country? No I don't think so, but their resume is very very good. I hate metrics that use MOV in their rankings. What's it matter if you win by 1 or 100? I don't, just always been my line of thought, which I'm sure most people disagree with.

I dont necessarily disagree with that in theory but I do think you should be rewarded for dominating wins more so than close wins. For example a 18 point win over Kansas is more impressive to me than a 1 point win over Kansas in a game you trailed the whole game and made a late shot to win or something. I think there should be a cap on being rewarded for MOV such as 20 points or something because a 47 point win shouldnt count for more than a 25 point win IMO since both games werent close.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I think RPI puts too much value on road wins when compared to home wins. You see alot more mid majorish type teams ranking high in RPI because the RPI credits road wins at a MUCH higher value than home wins so teams that play more road games automatically start out with a higher ceiling. Of course I think road wins should count for more but not 40% more. A 15 point home win over Michigan State is still more impressive to me than a 2 point road win over Xavier etc but in the RPI you get more credit for the Xavier win.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the pure homer in me noticed this because Iowa is 6th in 2 of the other metrics ( Sagarin and Pomeroy ), 1th in BPI and 13 in Massey but now sits 31st in RPI. Now while I do not think Iowa is the 6th best team in the country AI do think they are a hell of a lot closer to 6th than they are 31st so it made me take a closer look at RPI and man does that metric suck in general when compared to the others.

I quit looking at all that a long time ago. All it does is leave you confused.. especially during a year when the big ten is SO messed up. No one seems to wanna walk away w/the conf.. teams losing games they seem to have no business losing, then turning around and pulling off great upsets. It's definitely been a weird one.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Iowa has dibs on playing these 4 on their way thru the NCAAs.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do love that all those rankings still have us first except for RPI having us second....so KILL THE RPI THOSE BASTARDS HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think there are going to be flaws with every rankings system. 3 of the 5 systems you listed have Villanova ranked AHEAD of Syracuse. That is just wrong. They are a very good team, but that's crazy. Anyone who has watched a lot of their games vs a lot of 'Cuse games knows they are not really even that close to the Orange.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 10 is even at the top with 4 or 5 teams and stacked with mid-range teams that can win at home when shooting well on the perimeter. They won't win by much at home but it's a loss nonetheless. The 5 teams at the top have a more complete game as they can play both inside and out, so if they're tossing up bricks they can still get the inside game going.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do love that all those rankings still have us first except for RPI having us second....so KILL THE RPI THOSE BASTARDS HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think there are going to be flaws with every rankings system. 3 of the 5 systems you listed have Villanova ranked AHEAD of Syracuse. That is just wrong. They are a very good team, but that's crazy. Anyone who has watched a lot of their games vs a lot of 'Cuse games knows they are not really even that close to the Orange.

I agree DC, no system is perfect and everyone knows Cuse is better than Nova but I dont think its a stretch to have them rated closely since Novas schedule has been so much more difficult. Pretty much all the sytems have 90% of the same teams in the top 10-15, its after that that the RPI gets really sketchy IMO. I mean shit it doesnt REALLY matter but if your team being 22nd in RPI while top 10 in the other 4 systems means you get a 4 or 5 seed instead of a 3 thats a HUGE difference when it comes to your odds of making a deep run. I for one wouled much rather play Zona, Cuse etc in the Elite 8 than the S16 and ID damn well sure rather play Utep at a 14 seed instead of a team like Georgetown or Florida State at a 12.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree DC, no system is perfect and everyone knows Cuse is better than Nova but I dont think its a stretch to have them rated closely since Novas schedule has been so much more difficult. Pretty much all the sytems have 90% of the same teams in the top 10-15, its after that that the RPI gets really sketchy IMO. I mean shit it doesnt REALLY matter but if your team being 22nd in RPI while top 10 in the other 4 systems means you get a 4 or 5 seed instead of a 3 thats a HUGE difference when it comes to your odds of making a deep run. I for one wouled much rather play Zona, Cuse etc in the Elite 8 than the S16 and ID damn well sure rather play Utep at a 14 seed instead of a team like Georgetown or Florida State at a 12.

Syracuse beat Villanova this year. Just saying.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Syracuse beat Villanova this year. Just saying.

Malibu the head to head argument isn't really why I favor 'Cuse over Nova. That's not the be-all-end-all. If it was, then we would just rate Cal ahead of Arizona because they beat us.

It's just obvious to anyone who has watched those two teams that 'Cuse is better.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Syracuse beat Minnesota, Cal. (who beat Arizona) Baylor (who was #18 at the time), Indiana, St. Johns(if anyone noticed are on a roll of late beating Creighton), Villanova, Duke, Pitt., UNC, Clemson. Yes it isnt great but I dont think its terrible.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malibu the head to head argument isn't really why I favor 'Cuse over Nova. That's not the be-all-end-all. If it was, then we would just rate Cal ahead of Arizona because they beat us.

It's just obvious to anyone who has watched those two teams that 'Cuse is better.

I agree with you 100%. Not argueing that at all. Just saying remember Cuse beat Nova. Thats all.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pomeroy has the best rankings.

I have a membership and the statistical breakdown is seriously insane.